1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag, Pioneer or Denon?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by P Adams, Aug 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi all

I cannot decide whether to go for a Pioneer VSA-AX10, Denon AVC-A1SR or dare I say it a TAG Maclaren AV32R EX 7.1 (24/96Hz, Pro Logic II, HDCD) available ex-demo with possibly a new Rotel RMB 1075 5 ch, 120w power amp (5.1 use to start with) or RMB 1066 6 ch, 60w power amp.

My current set up consists of: Toshiba 42WH18B rear projection TV, Toshiba 210E DVD (connected via component cables to TV), Panasonic Sky digital receiver (connected via RGB scart to TV) Yamaha AV2070 Pro Logic amp, Mordaunt Short MS 208 floorstanders, Mordaunt Short T1000 centre, 1 pair of Mission 77DS surrounds (placed behind the listening position about 4 feet above ear level) and a REL Q150E sub. My room is 17 feet by 11 feet with a carpeted floor.

One plan was to either buy the Pioneer amp with a Pioneer 747 or 757i DVD or the Denon amp with a Denon 2800 MKII or Denon 3800. Will they give considerably better DVD replay than my Toshiba? I have a Pioneer 717 DVD that my father is using that I could bring back into service via scart or s-video. Can I daisy chain the Sky box and 717 to the RGB scart input? Will this be better than the Toshiba? Perhaps I am just getting hung-up on upgrading.

I am a little confused. Am I just going over the top with the TAG in a room 17x11? Should I just be happy that my wife will allow me to spend this sort of money on the Pioneer / Denon!!! Originally my sights were only as high as a Denon 3802! The Tag / Rotel combination is obviously more money but is it worth it over the other amps. One side of me says go for the TAG, the other says go for the neatness of everything in one box. They can't be much worse than the TAG combination!

My goal is to eventually move into a room with a projector to provide video so I suppose a progressive scan DVD would be desirable as I mainly have region 1 discs.

I am listening to the TAG today but cannot hear the Pioneer or Denon yet as no one in my area has one. I will have to try later.

Please if anyone can advise I would be most greatful.

PA

2. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the TAG. You won't regret it! Upgradeability is key here. If you have plans to go for a dedicated room with PJ, the TAG will grow as your system does. The other units you mention are fine in their own right, but the danger is you will end up losing in depreciation when you inevitably have to replace to upgrade. Separates just give you more flexibility. :cool:

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    P.Adams.
    Whilst my kit list may lead you to believe i would be somewhat biased, my honest opinion would be to follow the Tag/Rotel path, (i have spent time with the 1sr but not the ax10) and still feel that overall the Tag route offers the best all round value, in terms of performance it is a delight even more so when coupled with other Tag products, any formats not currently supported (dts 24/96, THX2) will be available around the end the year, it's customer service is truely sublime, absolutely second to none and offers (obviously) the best and most flexible, hassle free up-grade path,
    It is still as a standalone product easily a match (if not better IMHO) than the others mentioned with the ongoing potential to get much better.

Steve

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upgradeability is the key, but it also sounds much better than the receivers...

Go for the TAG + Rotel...

5. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Let us know what you thought, I'm hearing the Tag this afternoon.
    What price for exdem by the way.

John

6. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I was having the exact same dilemma, and after almost buying Denon AVC-A1SR/DVD A1, I finally setled on a TAG AV32R BP192 and TAG DVD32FLR + PSM with a Bryston 9BST THX. I think (hope!) this combo will last me 10 years rather than just a couple.

7. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Go for the TAG. I've got the AV32R and the 100x5R (and the T32R), and the improvement over my old Denon is phenomenal. Now all I've got to do is afford a new DVD player and sub!!

8. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I also upgraded to Tag from Denon.I didn't think the difference was huge,but there was some.
    One of my benefits from upgrading is the customer service/upgrade policy.
    Regards

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    How are the improvements most obvious to you, could you spell out a few bullet points?

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am a loyal Tag owner but the other one to look at now is the new Arcam just coming to the market. Very good my initial peep.

11. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the considered replies chaps.

I had originally booked a demo of the TAG / Rotel RMB 1075 combo for 1pm yesterday but after spending a frantic four hours trying to find out why our year old Bosch washing machine would not work, taking our kitchen apart in the process, (a faulty £1.95 water valve downstream of the hot water hose) we raced over for a 4pm sitting!!!

After the day we had had I did not think I would be in the mood for a demo of a high end system like this. I thought it best to take along our own front three speaker combination, so heaving the heavy Mordaunt Short floorstanders in to our car we headed off for the showdown.

I was not disappointed. After various DVDs and CDs (Alison Krauss vocals, Jesse Cook guitar and Buena Vista Social Club rhythm) being played even my wife could appreciate the clarity and processing power of the set-up. The Rotel was straight out-of-the-box and even the demonstrator was impressed with the warmth and tone offered. "Will be even better after 60 hours of burning in" he said.

I was, as I said only aiming for a Denon 3802 a year ago but even though this combination is way above that price bracket the sound has convinced me what a good investment the TAG / Rotel will be.

The set-up will only be 5.1 at the moment, so which two channel Rotel could you guys recommend to complete the dream? (I haven't looked at Rotel's web-site for that option yet).

It seams a little surreal going to B&Q and spending £1.99 in the morning and then spending quite a bit more on system that should still make us happy for at least the foreseeable future!

We went on a nice long walk in the countryside this afternoon. It rained and we got wet but we couldn't stop smiling. I think it's the thought of watching all those DVDs we've only ever heard in Pro Logic. I am sure I will be posting more threads as we get used to our new toy!

I told you hi-fi makes you sad dear.....:)

PA