Tag owners - This concerns you!

OnTheFly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased one of the Tag sell-off processors from a well known franchised Hi-Fi chain. Unfortunately when I arrived home and opened the box, although it was new I realised I had been sold a processor with F3 Series livery and not Avantgarde. I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else and if so what was their reaction. Apparently Tag used every available fascia during the sell off.
I immediately returned the unit and received a refund. However, I had to drive to the store to collect and (400 mile round trip) to use my credit card (chip & pin) and along with the cost of return postal carriage I requested that my expenses be met. This has been refused because what I was sold was in fact a new Tag processor regardless of the F3 badge.
Firstly I feel very disappointed but more importantly I feel some what cheated.

What do you folks think.

PS. I did ask for a quick look at the Tag when in the store but I was told the box had been sealed awaiting my collection.

Did you happen to observe the serial number?

The box had been sealed awaiting your collection? Why would the box have been opened on a "new" unit?

Doesnt sound right, I would push them harder for your expenses.

Steve.ex: I didn't even open the polythene bag. Saw the F3 and put the lid back on.

cheapskate2003: The store apparently had opened and briefly tested all of the units in stock.

Had you of noted it we at the very least could have seen where it sat compared to other owners.
It may have been entirely innocent.

That could be your last chance to get your hands on a new Tag build unit. If it was a DP version you should be kicking yourself for not keeping it.

kinda like this one maybe? TAG Mclaren AV32R BP 192 SP 7.1 (Blk) I also bought one of these recently from a well known franchise, only mine was badged as an avant-garde. Have to say I'm glad it is, but it wouldn't have been the end of the world had it been an F3. These are new units after all, and I'm very pleased with mine! :thumbsup:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
wolfgang said:
That could be your last chance to get your hands on a new Tag build unit. If it was a DP version you should be kicking yourself for not keeping it.

IAG has indeed used parts they found on the the stock to build latest units such as using old non-sorbothane feet for last DPs but I don't think they'd put old F3 fascia on a DP. Apart from that I see no problem having old fascias, as long as display is new.

depending on the serial number there might be a different Shark processor (or a couple of shark processors on the very early F3 models). If you dig in this forum you will find all the info provided by very knowledgeable people. Since the unit is a new one I think that the F3 badge versus the avantgarde one on the processors is a question of "fashion" only. IMHO you should have put the question here with the serial number before acting. Now you will never know.

Lenny

I have no doubt it was a genuine and brand new AV32R BP192 EX (SP). The fact that I was not told it had circa 1999 livery was out of order.

I think the face plates of the 192 models were somewhat later?

I dont see the problem of a tiny little F3 badge, what difference does it really make? My DP has a SP fascia as I never had it changed with the upgrade. Quite frankly I couldnt give a monkeys, you can't tell unless your inches away :) I think you would have trouble getting any expenses back as you were sold what you asked for and as you didnt specify what badges you required I dont think they are obliged to do anything.

Jeez. And here was me moaning about paint finishes. But to complain about not having "Avant Garde" on the front is really too pernickerty IMHO.

Hi, for a very long time TAG McLaren Audio sold black AV32Rs as "F3 series" and silver as "AvantGarde". Then we decided to use only "AvantGarde" to simplify production. Facing out continued for a very long time, an was running definitely still in 2003 (I can't speak for later).

There is abolutely no difference in performance between these products, except for this front fascia label. Only the serial number would allow to verify the unit's manufacturing date.
P.S.: I think the shop was most helpful (the customer is king, whatever ... ) in taking the unit back as the label would surely not qualify for "not fit for the job":D

Well for once I have to agree with Udo here.

Mark

Thanks to Udo for clearing that up.

I also recently bought one of the clearance AV32Rs(a DP),and was frankly very happy to get one at such a good price,and would not have minded what the front panel was badged as,so long as it was an AV32R/DP.

Dr Udo Zucker said:
Hi, for a very long time TAG McLaren Audio sold black AV32Rs as "F3 series" and silver as "AvantGarde". Then we decided to use only "AvantGarde" to simplify production. Facing out continued for a very long time, an was running definitely still in 2003 (I can't speak for later).

There is abolutely no difference in performance between these products, except for this front fascia label. Only the serial number would allow to verify the unit's manufacturing date.
P.S.: I think the shop was most helpful (the customer is king, whatever ... ) in taking the unit back as the label would surely not qualify for "not fit for the job":D
Yup.

If the badge affects thesound quality fine, if not "get a life"

scarty16 said:
If the badge affects thesound quality fine, if not "get a life"
That's a little harsh.
It is no different to how some people like their car-body furniture.

It's easy to interpret Scarty16's comment as harsh, but if the badge was soooo important, then surely you would check the livery before purchase. Let's not forget that onthefly was not mis-sold the unit, it was what he originally thought it was, it just had a different badge. :oops:

I am simply saying you would likely want to return a new Mercedes if it had a different badge on it, that is all.

Fair point Steve, but then I would probably have looked at the Mercedes first. buyer beware! :)

Damn - F3? Heck, wonder what people would make of my (borrowed) prototype with BNC connectors?
:D

Steve.EX said:
I am simply saying you would likely want to return a new Mercedes if it had a different badge on it, that is all.

Is that what Skoda owners should do with VW?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom