1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag owner by accident!.. but digital hum?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by CogPaul, Jul 25, 2004.

1. CogPaul

CogPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just picked up a single owner AV32R 5.1 SP processor. Never intended to buy a Tag but purchase of another processor from the US fell through and needed an urgent replacement. Software version is 3.4 and it had DPLII installed from sale. Wonder if you guys can help me out with a couple of questions?

1) suffering from terrible hum on digital inputs.No problems with my previous meridian 568.2 - but I have changed amps so difficult to identify is problem is amp or processor based- new Krell amp may be cause with lack of shorting pins on XLR (I am now looking for XLR shorting plugs! if anyone knows a source please let me know!); - however I also recently px/d my Meridian 596 and as a stop gap am using a Toshiba 240e - perhaps an earthing problem here? Has anyone else had problems with using cheaper DVD players with Tag processors? It is definitely not a digital cable issue as I have swapped out several top quality interconnects to check this.

2) are there any advantages to upgrading the software version on the SP model? and if so which version should I go for?

From limited listening to date I am most impressed given that this is not the most up to date incarnation of the Tag

Paul

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Paul
    Latest software is 3.8 which you can download from the IAG/TAG website. However you will need the TAGtronic cable to upload onto the AV32R.

3. CogPaul

CogPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kenny.

Anyone tell me the differences/fixes in moving from 3.40 to 3.80?

The Tagtronic cables available from Tag's new owners I take it?

Hum on inputs is definitely an amplifier issue (a search on Audiogon's forums identified the need for XLR shorting for the Krell when using RCA inputs).

Paul

4. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    In short you had the following updates:

Version 3.40.1 Lip Sync Problems

Version 3.50 DTS-ES 6.1 Dicrete (7.1 Ex Version) DTS Neo-6 ,DTS-ES DTS processing improved.Brightness Control improvements

Version 3.50.10 Improvement to the above initial release not quite right.

Version 3.60 5.1 Bypass and 192 Dacs

Version 3.70 Progressive Scan Module Control

Version 3.75 Sound and picture in sync improvements better control of DVD32R with Prog Scan

Version 3.80 Improvements to the above

I believe for the cost that the latest software would give you some improvements as in any item of this quality there will be some mistakes and Tag Mclaren quite rightly put each problem that did occur to bed(Fixed them)

Some were rather unique ,some quite silly, but hey no ones perfect

5. maximus_de

maximus_de
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems Paul,

i used a Amisos/Malata DVD for over an year without any problems.

Alfredo

6. Martin_M

Martin_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

The hum can indeed be produced by the Krell . We had a terrible hum when the shorting pin on the XLR input of our KSA300s wasn't fitted.
    The previous owner had the pins but for the time we made them from a short speakercable. It works.

Martin

7. CogPaul

CogPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Martin

Found that a variety of inputs (analogue TV, VCR, , video TV and digital DVD) introduced hum - but for some reason not analogue from CD or optical from CD! Off now to purchase some # 12 gauge copper wire to create some shorting pins to see if I can cure it! I guess Krell's must be particulalry prone to this problem.

Paul