Tag or Bryston

Thunder

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my front left/right amplification. I have narrowed it down to two possibilities; TagMclaren 250 by 3 or the Bryston 4BSST. The Tag can be picked up at some great prices and of course will integrate perfectly and be controlled by my processor through the bus as well as allowing me to drive all three front channels. On the other hand the Bryston has an awsome reputation and a bit more power :devil: . However the Tag ABX test showed that nobody could tell the difference between the two :confused: Does anyone have any advice? Or would neither be a big upgrade over my current Musical Fidelity biamping configuration?

From those two, for the same price, I would pick the TAG, the center channel is very important too...

But I would, and did, get the BelCanto eVo 6, 3 x 360 watts bridged, besides sounding better, IMO, it uses half the power, leaving more to the rest of the gear... :rolleyes:

Thunder said:
I want to upgrade my front left/right amplification. I have narrowed it down to two possibilities; TagMclaren 250 by 3 or the Bryston 4BSST. The Tag can be picked up at some great prices and of course will integrate perfectly and be controlled by my processor through the bus as well as allowing me to drive all three front channels. On the other hand the Bryston has an awsome reputation and a bit more power :devil: . However the Tag ABX test showed that nobody could tell the difference between the two :confused: Does anyone have any advice? Or would neither be a big upgrade over my current Musical Fidelity biamping configuration?

If budget is an issue,then the TAG is currently very good value,but despite that ABX test,I certainly found the TAG amps somewhat stresses by difficult loads at high levels,and found no reason to change from my rather old Krells.

Lowrider's comments about the BelCanto's is well worth following up as well,but the Brystons are sonically excellent and covered by a 20yr guarantee also.

I thought that the 100 by 5 had some issues with difficult loads, but I didnt think that affected the 250's? :confused:

Thunder said:
I thought that the 100 by 5 had some issues with difficult loads, but I didnt think that affected the 250's? :confused:

Just my humble opinion....certainly the 100x5 was very sensitive to difficult loads,and I'd qualify my comment by saying the 250 is a lot less so,but my money would still go on the Bryston,or my own personal favourite for power and load tolerance,Krell.

I also see from your signature that you have a Parasound amp...had you considered any of their other amps,especially one of the Halo range,which really are very good,and sonically a good match also for what you have.

In the end though,your best way of assessing the best amp for yourself,is to try them with your own system,and see which suits you best,irrespective of other persons opinions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom