1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAG novice questions: TAGtronic, TMReq etc.

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by memmerson, Feb 23, 2005.

1. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi all,

new to TAG having recently purchased a DVD32R-PSM192, AV32R:bp-192 DAB & a 100x5R and am extremely chuffed with the lot so far.

I have some questions that hopefully you kind folk can help me with:

1.) Is the TAGtronic lead some sort of proprietory lead or is it just a straight through cat5 with an rj45 to 9 pin serial connector? (like what you would get with a cisco router). If proprietory, how much does it cost?

2.) Is TMReq only possible with DP or AV192R? If so, is the DP upgrade worth the £££'s for TMReq? what other benefits does DP bring?

3.) Thinking about getting a Pioneer PDP-435XDE plasma, it has component and hdmi inputs. Which DVD32R PSM192 output will provide the best output: component phonos, bnc or dvi?

4.) I understand the PSM192 will deinterlace my svideo sources, i.e. sky+. Will deinterlaced svideo (via psm192) provide better picture quality than (direct) RGB scart?

5.) I think I read somewhere that the DVI output on the PSM192 is analogue only? If so, should I care?

Thanks in advance chaps.

Marc

2. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I can answer the first two:

1: straight through cat5
    2: Yes, TMREQ is only available in the DP and 192R. And yes it's worth it. Besides TMREQ it's also better due to improved digital filters etc in the software (possible because loads of processor power with 2 sharcs) and improved power supply.
    3 etc: Don't know; Graham & co..... :hiya:

3. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Marc

Best to do a search through the forum as everything is here although for starters:

The TAGtronic bus lead is a simple straight thru CAT5 with RJ45 connectors - cost about 50p upwards.

TMREQ is only available via the DP or AV192R. The DP upgrade gives you loads of other stuff and is well worth it long term.

For your Pioneer - try a DVI-I to HDMI lead

Hope this helps.

4. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanks guys, when I mentioned tagtronic lead I was refering to the serial/pc lead i.e. for downloading firmware updates etc. and not the tagtronic bus. sorry, must have got my wires crossed ;-)

5. Patrick

Patrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4.) I understand the PSM192 will deinterlace my svideo sources, i.e. sky+. Will deinterlaced svideo (via psm192) provide better picture quality than (direct) RGB scart?

Yes I use an YUV input native and a RGB via SCAT and the Picture is priliant.

5.) I think I read somewhere that the DVI output on the PSM192 is analogue only? If so, should I care?

No you have a digital out with HDCP if your source have HDCP ( DVI input ).

Bye

6. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re: 5) If the PSM192 is in your DVD32 then no HDCP is present on the (digital) DVI output, whether from an analogue input or a DVD, this means it will be compatible with all displays that can handle the image resolution/frequency whether it is HDCP compatible or not. If the PSM is in the AV192 then HDCP becomes involved.

7. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not quite - only the scaler module in the AV192R supports HDCP.

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Regarding the Pioneer, I'd use the BNC output from the DVD32R/PSM192 personally but a cheap and cheerful DVI to HDMI lead from Lindy.com will work also. The RCA outputs on the DVD32R/PSM192 are interlaced so if you use those the Pioneer's internal deinterlacing is used..... Basically whatever rocks your boat, see which one you prefer.

9. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    cheers guys, mulling over the benefits of upgrading to dp now...

10. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    OK I've finished deciding now, what the hell, I may as well upgrade to my 3rd av32r in a month. I must have ants in my pants!?!

If anyone has a (silver) av32r DP to sell or downgrade (I have a silver av32r:bp192 dab that I could part-ex) I have placed an ad in the classifieds section.

If I don't get any responses I will consider an upgrade with IAG.

11. cuscus

cuscus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'd personally get a demo 1st before you splash out all that hard earned cash.
    Having bought a 2nd hand DVD32R a few weeks ago, i now find myself waiting for the dreaded news from IAG regards the repair cost.
    What makes that sinking feeling all the worse is having used it i really couldn't justify the price i had paid for it against my Denon 2900 & what now with HD DVD being anounced for later this year, i should have listened to my head, not my heart.
    I also managed to find a 250x3 power amp, & after sitting it side by side with my Parasound could hear no audible difference in sound quality whatsoever, & especially if you consider the price difference.
    I honestly think (i know i'm going to rock the boat here) that Tag equipment is overrated, overpriced & is sought after by Tag enthusiasts with mislaid loyalty.

12. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry to hear about your troubles Cuscus.

I too have a case of upgraditis but for me I tend to go through short spells (usually lasting a couple of months) where I buy all the mags, read the forums, buy the gear etc, but then I just leave everything well alone for a few years. I won't even go near any mags or forums and avoid av conversations with friends/relatives, that way I can just enjoy my system without constantly being affected by the dreaded upgraditis.

It works quite well for me, I intend to keep the Tag/B&W Nautilus setup for quite some time. Future formats won't bother me for at least 2 years.

Ultimately I feel at peace... Well, perhaps just one more upgrade before I close the book for a couple more years ;-)

13. cuscus

cuscus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    We'll see :)

No future plans for HD DVD then??

I'm already planning which films to buy, which panel to upgrade to etc etc.......

My wife on the other hand is planning murder....mine :D

14. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's funny, that's exactly what happens to me too. The first serious gear I bought was back in '96, and kept the same core until today. Intermediately, I replaced or added a few things (DVD player, when they came up, CD17MK2 KI when the CD63SE simply quit), but now am going through a major overhaul, as my signature states below.....

Still waiting for the FLR, PPA20, 100x5R and AV32R to arrive....... all on order or already in transit. My poor nails....

Some of the kit below will be for sale later on... maybe some of it will go on sale here or ebay. I'll see.

Luis

15. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'll buy HD-DVD when Star Wars Super Duper edition box-set comes out, and by my estimations that'll be around 2012!!!

Mate, with that attitude I'm surprised you bought the DVD32R in the first place considering it doesn't even play SACD's or DVD-Audio!!! Actually on a sidenote, a couple of mates came round the other night and started asking questions about my dvd32r:
    "does it play mpeg4's? and dvd-a/sacd etc.?"
    "no"
    "well that's pretty crap then, and your other dvd player you payed £100 for does do all of that?"
    "yes, but the quality is better on the tag"
    "what? £4500 better?"
    "er, let's just change the subject"

Anyway, they were all impressed by the sliding door though!!

Regarding the missus, I'm past telling her about the costs, whenever the subject comes up I just tell the cow to mind her own business... Well, er, actually, not really, I was just trying to sound macho, in reality I just lie.

ps. please don't tell her I called her a cow. thanks.

16. SFabela

SFabela
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hello Cuscus. I think I can understand what you are feeling about the DVD32R. When I bought mine I was expecting to see Heaven and earth spinning but guess what (?) I didn’t realize any relevant differences between my Sony picture and the Tag (at least significant differences that justify the price abyss).Of course the audio was sublime but I was deceptioned with the picture.

After more or less 3-4 weeks being using the Tag I switched to the Sony and I couldn´t believe what I was seeing. The tridimensionality was gone, the second and third plans became indistinct, and the lateral movement was not so fluid. That’s when I realized where my money was gone. Sometimes we need time to became familiar with the equipment dynamics and characteristics to feel where are the differences and if they are important in our scale of values and criteria.

Best Regards,

SFabela

17. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Totally agree, SFabela. In my vinyl years I spent bucks on the top of the range Shure cartridge and had to admit that I couldn’t hear what I’d gained for my money. A few months later, I came home one night and before I even got inside, the music sounded “off” – something was just missing. I found my flatmates had managed to trash the stylus and had reverted to the original, penultimate, Shure cartridge.

So as advice on audtioning one piece of kit against another, I think you’re spot on.

18. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Item 1: As far as I know it is a TAG part, and costs £75. Check the latest software on the equipment that you have bought, I would asssume that there will not be any further upgrades, so if yours' is up to date, probably not required. I am sure that you could borrow one from the AV Forum members if required for the cost of the postage