1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag not well AGAIN!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Steve.EX, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Second time in two month's since new (bought mid-April)

Has become afflicted by a "spitting" noise (only) on Direct mode @ 44.1khz pcm input - much akin to a RF spike abeit quite high up the frequency range.
    Is not affected on 32/48/96khz inputs or any analogue inputs, similarly does not occur on any DD/DTS streams be it 2/3/5/6/7 channel or downmixing to stereo.
    My thoughts are that Tag may be aware of such an anomally as when i spoke to them (at 9.00am) this morning, there was an "air"? of familiarity? and a resolute assumption that it would take 24/48 hours to sort out. (although that is what they said on the previous occasion)
    Again the Tag aftercare service has proven to be superb, and in NO way am i dissapointed with the (working) product - However at 3995.00, you may well say "Oh Dear"!.

I have elected to have the unit picked up next Monday as i can expect to have it back by the weekend.

This is for those who have labelled me a blinded Kef/Tag stalwart.

Steve.

BUGGER IT!!!

2. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to hear about that Steve. I've got an old Sherwood knocking about somewhere that you can borrow while your Tag's being sorted :D :D

Trouble is once you've heard the Sherwood I very much doubt you'll want that Tag back:rotfl:

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard of the Tag's buggy software- one of the reasons I didn't buy one.

My local dealer isn't a Tag dealer, so I would be unwilling to send it back for updates, and no way would I perform the upgrade myself.

4. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd hardly call Tag gear buggy. I think the only reason Tag have bugs now and again is because of their efforts to make the software as good as it possibly can be with frequent upgrades. At least if their is a bug in the software you'll know that Tag will sort it out in much less time than most other manufacturers.

After seeing and hearing a dual sharc unit a few weeks back I know where my money will be going when I win the lottery :)

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yes although on the face of it, it seems soft/firmware related given it's not global and seems only related to a specific sample rate (these are of course just my musings), it does still seem hardware related by it's very nature.
    Nathan
    I am confident that whatever the problem my Tag will be back with in around 5 days, just how long has/did it take for someone just to make their mind up about calling you let alone attending to the problem software on your well established Lex?
    My post went on the Tag forum yesterday evening and within a couple of hours Dr.Udo had responded - THATS A SUNDAY EVENING!
    On the last occasion i was offered a 90.00 progamming unit for 20.00 as way of recompense, so although the problem of a faulty unit is very real you certainly get the impression that all hands are to the pumps, as a new unit owner you are given priority over all other concerns (upgraders etc)

Steve.

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nathan.

I would also add (in an ever so slightly beneath me manner) that as a Lex owner you should well know about the general disatisfaction there was with the (original) functionality (software) of the MC12.

Steve.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it - man!

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Typical Tag owner- defending your purchase even though it arrived back not working fully, and now it's acting funny again.

I wonder what happens if you upgrade the firmware yourself and **** it? Will Tag want to know- after all it's voided the warranty.

My cheap Denon AVD-2000 had no problems, yet the Tag does.

And in defense you have to take a swipe at the MC-1. That's pretty childish.

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nathan.
    From where i am sitting it seem you are giving it "the holier than though" - my XXX is so damn great.
    I was simply pointing out that other people (yourself included) have experienced product difficulties.
    I have to say that on the odd occasion i genuinely wonder how it is possible that you can read these post's given that your head is most firmly embedded [edited by mutley] - [gentleman watch your language please]

Steve.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [edited my mutley] You prove my point.

Answer the question. If you perform the firmware upgrade yourself, is this covered by the Tag warranty- will they replace the BIOS chip for no fee?

Good idea- but probably just like PC motherboards, it's at the users risk.

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    If the forums ever get together for a "pint in a pub somewhere" and you two turn up, I'll be selling front row tickets to the barney which is sure to kick off! :rotfl:

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    But Nathan ... a Processor's firmware isn't like the Bios.

Most Processors (well at least the Rotel 1066) has separate boot code so that if a firmware update doesn't take ... you can just reboot the processor and try again.

You say in your own thread that CSE are having to send you a new Eprom to change firmware in the MC1 ... are you fitting that yourself or do you have to travel to take the unit back to your dealer?

I know which of the 3 options (1. user installed eprom; 2. dealer fitted eprom; 3. user or dealer upgradable flash rom) I'd prefer for the firmware due to ease of it being upgraded.

Vikki

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vikki my dad is electronics engineer with all the anti-static workbenches & the right tools to do the job. My dealer could do it, but my dad will give me the MC-1 within 8 hours.

Oh regarding the safe boot block, a local Proceed engineer updated the Proceed AVP at my local shop. The firmware upgrade failed, and the AVP had to go back to America. Not cheap.

If a PC motherboard failure happens, it's only £100. But I would be well ****** off if a DIY firmware upgrade happened for AV32R, MC-12 or any other expensive bit of kit. I'm pretty sure this is not covered by warranty... and I dread to think of the repair bill.

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    So it's an end user fitted eprom (ignoring who is fitting it ... thats irrelevant) ... so will CSE cover you under warranty if it doesn't work after fitting?

Oh and (Rotel at least) will cover you under warranty if firmware update does go wrong ... though as I say the boot code is separate so if it fails once you just start it again. They will even continue to cover you if you decide to perform the hardware fix (cutting 2 resistors), to alter the way Bass management on the multi-channel input works, yourself.

Vikki

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll contact CSE reg. warranty if it fails after the new EEPROM is installed before I get my dad to do it (otherwise will ask my dealer to install it)

I guess some manu. are helpful until something goes wrong. Send Rotel a email telling your PC crashed half-way through the firmware upgrade and it no longer powers up. Neither you or I can comment on Rotels CS until a failure happens.

15. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Tag boot code is seperate, I have had a couple occasions where the flash has failed for various reasons (I flash beta software quite often) and you can just power on and off then reflash the processor.

Back to Steve's original topic, I too have had a similar click sound on my AV32R-DP. The DP board has been replaced and the old one is being investigated. The processor was picked up last Tuesday and returned on Friday.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you should take a backup of your settings Steve before sending it off since they will be reset to the factory defaults.

16. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    cskates.

I am now assured by your experience that they are indeed aware of this.

Thanks.

[edited by mutley]

Regards

Steve.

17. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I for one have always found Steve's opinions to be balanced. He certainly isn't biased to the gear he owns.:nono:

18. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd wholeheartedly agree with that, fact is the oiginal post highlights that Tag's aren't perfect, he could have kept it quite!

19. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the TAG McLaren website owner's club page:

''...Expanding with your needs
    upgrading a TAG McLaren Audio product is easy

You might remember that many of our products have all their control and processing software in field-programmable memory. Thisguarantees that you can alwayshave the latest processing technology at home. And it isactually very easy to do. All you need is access to the Internet, a suitablyequipped PC and a TAGtronicProgramming Cable and the TAGtronicUpgrade Wizard. With these you will beable to request the latest software from this page and download it into your TAG McLaren Audio product using the TAGtronic Communication Bus. It just takes a few minutes!

And even if you don't have access to a PC you will still be able to benefit from our software upgrades. Just take your TAG McLaren product you want to upgrade to your retailer (call him for a convenient time beforehand!) or use our Home Pick-up Service and we collect the product from your home for a nominal fee...''

I cant see a problem with that?

20. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi Steve

Sorry to hear you are having some more problems with the TAG.

Do not forget I have your link cable and should you need it just give me a bell and I will post it.

Why does Mutley keep editing the posts? I hope your not swearing Steve :)

21. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Peter

Hello there, i hope you are well.
    As the Tag is going back next week i presume they will install 4.08 by default so i am O.K for the programing cable for the meanwhile.
    I hope your kit is performing well.
    I have had my wings clipped by Mutley, which to say the least i am annoyed about.
    There are some here who try to offer a genuine service?
    There are some here who do not.

Steve,