1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAG newbie - where to start?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Craig, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK, I am a bit of a newbie on TAG gear.

However, the possibility of a nice bonus at work means I can start thinking, planning, saving, dreaming et al

What I'm thinking of is the TAG AV32R + 5 channel amp, but I'm a little unsure of how much cash we're talking about here ...... given that it'll be used equipment, how much should I be budgetting for the introduction of these puppies to my living room?

Sorry for the relatively lame nature of the question :rolleyes:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hello Craig....not lame at all!

When considering used AV32R's the spec is the most important indicator of price,along with age.

A base spec(i.e.AV32R,not DP,without analogue bypass or 192kHz DACs),should cost about £500-600,and 192bp AV32Rs will be up to £800-900 depending on spec.

Used DP's will be more obviously,and in very short supply.

What you should do is keep an eye on places like ebay for the current used prices,and if buying from there,be very sure of what you are buying,and if in any doubt,ask for help/advice here,as there are a lot of ex-TAG staff here.

5 channel amps....huge range to choose from,but if you had TAG in mind,the 100x5 will obviously match well,but is a little light on power into difficult loads.
    Sonically,the various Rotel 5 channel amps go well with AV32Rs,and may represent a much cheaper option.

3. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    As you say, Craig, everybody has one, so here’s mine:

May I suggest that you defer the TAG for a while unless your bonus extended to an AV32R DP? I say that because, and I mean no offence by this, you probably won’t hear a great difference with your current kit.

I suggest you start thinking about where you want to be a year or two out and then buy an amp that will get you there. Next buy some speakers suited to the amp (do it the other way and you might damage the speakers by clipping rather than blowing them up). By the time you’ve done that, the cost of the TAG kit should be lower than at present.

If you can afford to get an AV32R DP now, that could change things a bit – lots of goodies in there to help wring the last drop out of what you currently have.

This approach might help you get the best bang for your audio buck.

4. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Blimey!

Nearly 24 hours have past!

Maybe its safe to remove my tin hat and cricket box!