1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag McLaren's new PSM192

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by alanrob, Feb 16, 2002.

1. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Now, I don't know much about all this progressive scan as I don't have a PJ or a Plasma TV so there's no need for me to know much, but why don't all you guys in the know-how pop over to Tag's web site - www.tagmclarenaudio.com and have a read at the spec for their new Pscan module that can be added into the DVD players.

Yep! you read right. DVD players. Tag are also bringing out a cheaper front loader. Haven't read all the blurb yet but it looks nice (not as nice as the DVD32R though :) )

Now I can't wait to get the Pscan addon and then a shiny new Plasma to play it through :D
    Guess I better start saving!!!!!

2. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That module can also be added to the avr192 processor.

And in that case it will de-interlace all inputs,sat box, vcr etc.

So many upgrades....not enough money.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    :D

This much released from one company in one month. Even if you are not a Tag owner it is worth seeing what Tag are doing to see what is possible re upgrading. Quite an eye opener.

One VERY content Tag owner here.

4. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI output looks interesting. Used by the DVD player and connected to a digital display device with DVI input such as a plasma display panel, this would provide a totally digital pathway - no D/A or A/D conversions anywhere.

Allan

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Nic,

I'm looking forward to seeing the new stuff at Bristol. They are using an Iscan chipset which is good (like that in Vigatecs). I was hoping they might use a sage chipset but it isn't allowed to be used in any scalers.....I wondered if they could have put it in a a doubling board in the DVD player then just had a scaler board in the Pre-amp....giving them a Faroudja type devie in two boxes....oh well. I actually trust they are on the case with this. Having seen SDI all through the Vigatec (SIL504 with Genesis scaling) it canbe pretty good....

Gordon

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Very promising news from Tag, although what many of us need in addition is the scaler. I've held off from buying a Tag DVD player at the moment for this reason. I'm currently using a PC, although its troublesome, so I would love a simple all-in-one solution. At the moment, I'm considering a Cinematrix PSM-1 modded player. I would prefer the Tag+scaler option, but I don't know how long it will be or how much. Guess we will have to wait a bit longer.

Rob.

7. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yes I agree that is the problem having to wait for the upgrades.
    I have a Rock+ with my Tag so really the upgrades are of no use at all. It is great buying kit that is upgradable but the upgrades are too little too late. They should have released the whole unit including scaler now. I suppose most people who have the Tag and use it with a projection system will have some sort of video processor already anyway.

The price of the DVD32R goes up from the 1st April to £4300 so if you are going to get the player I suggest you dont wait around too long or else it will cost you more.

Darren

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I managed to get a really good deal on my AV32R EX, so I'm hoping I could get the same sort of deal on a player. I would like to keep to Tag stuff if I can, its just a matter of working out exactly what you're getting for your money. By the time you buy a DVD32R/ Prog mod and scaler, you are into some serious money, especially as there is no price on the scaler as yet. Its difficult to know what to do for the best.

Regards Rob.

9. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Reading through all of the new items on the web site I discovered that a scaler is due at the end of the year as part of the upgrade to AV192R from AV32R.

This and the PSM192 will be housed in the new look (and as yet unseen) AV192R casing which will be a good deal taller than the slim line AV32R.

It all sounds very interesting, but not knowing anything about PS or Scalers I can't comment on what they are using (planning on using) and if it's any good. Knowing Tag it will be the best of kit they could get their hands on, but at present I have no need for any of it.

Gives me plenty time to save up for a good Plasma (if there is such a thing?) with PS and then start the long (and pricy) road to upgrading my AV32R to a AV192R.

Rob - the scaler will only be part of the AV192R.
    A few people on Tag's forum have been asking about a possible external box for those not wanting to go the AV192R route for the scaler and the PS module. Still no word from the CEO if it's only going to be available that way.

10. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    alanrob
    What's on you plasma shortlist? I have been ready to buy for months but can't decide which to go for. The 42" panels are a comfortable size and becoming reasonable value (NEC 42MP3) but I want more than 480 lines. The Pioneer 43" is going to be £5.5k and still not true WXGA resolution, June??? for the MXE version with 10 bit processing.
    When will one of the manufacturers release a 1024x576/600 panel? (Don't get me started on Sony ALiS panels) :rolleyes:
    Fellow Tag owning member:D

11. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I've no idea as I haven't even started to look.
    All I know is waht I've read in the mags over the past few months.

At present I ain't willing to part with the better chunk of 5 grand for a plasma. I'll wait a few years for prices to drop before I'll think about going the plasma route.

My Sony 32" widescreen will do fine just now :)

12. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i'm told that pioneer and yamaha will bring out their own boxes on the lines of the' tag mac' towards the final quarter of the year.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Nothing to worry about there then:D

14. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the psm 192 upgrade costs £1100 only

15. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Which would be a more preferable processing option?

a) Tag kit fitted with PSM192 + (unreleased) Scaler
    Pros: Can help other sources not just DVD, integrated, v.high quality
    Cons: damn its expensive kit

b) Rock+ - whats the going rate for a s/h unit?
    Pros/Cons: still learning about this kit.

c) Cinematrix PSM-1 modded DVD player
    Pros: cheaper option than the others
    Cons: just works with DVD signal

d) Barco Cineversum/Master
    Pros: upgradable/expandale, long distance avail. between Master and pj.
    Cons: Cost (£9k + £6k ?)

e) another box/solution (suggestions for reading up on)?

n.

16. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    THE golden question.

Depends on whether you are prepared to wait. I have been in this situation for a while now. There is no easy answer and everybody has thier own particular criteria. For myself I think I will go for a Cinematrix modded Denon 1600 (considered to be an exellent choice for the mod) for DVD playback and keeping my Quad for TV sources.

I know the Tag + scaler option would be the ideal answer, but when and how much? I was impressed with the Rock, but I think its overpriced for what is basically a PC in a box.

Rob.

17. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody confirm whether the PSM192 board can and WILL output PAL progressive?

I know they say they support 2:2 pull-down (for PAL material), but nowhere on their site do they state that they output PAL Progressive.

Other manufacturers who also don't output PAL progressive (Denon for example) say they support 2:2 pull-down (a feature of the chipset).

So, I need a confirmation whether PSM192 actually OUTPUTS PAL Prog without any hacks, hidden codes, secret handshakes or magic decoder rings :)

Anyone?

cheers,
    Halcyon

18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    When I spoke with Dr Zucker at Bristol he was of the opinion it would be PAL enabled straight off!

Gordon

19. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

thanks for the info! I hope I get an official reply from Tag soon.

DVI output would be nice too, but that will surely have the Panel Link / HDCP or some such copy protection.

cheers,
    Halcyon

20. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. It will output PAL progressive in it's full glory!

2. It will output through DVI as well (not tomorrow, but today)

3. It doesn't need to copy protect the DVI stream with HDCP

That's a triple surprise!

This board is shaping up to a real corker!

Now all I need is to rob a bank to be able to afford DVD-32R+PSM192 :)

cheers,
    Halcion

21. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PSM192 connects to the source via a analogue component input not a digital link like other progressive scan DVD players. This means that it is similar to connecting an interlaced component output from a any DVD player to an iScan Pro for example. (there are other quality differences of course, but just to illustrate my point).

This method, even though the PSM is mounted inside the Tag DVD player, allows them to treat it like an outboard de-interlacer and therefore circumvent the usual prohibition on progscan PAL output.

Also, 2:2 pulldown detection is also required for 30Hz progressive sources, so the mention of 2:2 pulldown in literature doesn't necessarily denote PAL progressive facilities.

22. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ludae,

thank you *very* much for this important correction.

It seems now that the DVI board doesn't get fed digital, but analog signal.

Damn. Although it can be done well (the extra AD->DA conversions), I think it's one step too much.

Now I understand why Tag is able to sell it off as a video processor and not adhere to the dvd forum license rules (no DVI output on DVD players). They are not feeding out the digital signal from disc, but feeding out signal that is converted first to analog by the player and the back to digital by the PSM board.

As for the PAL progressive feature, Dr. Zucker of Tag confirmed that the PSM192 will output PAL progressive. I asked it twice, because there was no explicit statement of PAL progressive output (regardless of pull-down statements) in their literature.

Guess I'll have to find a SDI output modified player and a SDI->DVI scaler (Vigatec, anyone :)

cheers,
    Halcyon