1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag McLaren T32R - aerial Help

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by johnmh0, Jun 16, 2005.

1. johnmh0

johnmh0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

I need some advice for getting a good quailty aerial for T32R-FM+DAB. Can anyone give me some suggestions as i would like FM + DAB do i need two ?. The aerial can be mounted outside or inside. I have just purchased the unit and a newbie to TAG McLaren brand so any help most welcome.

Kind Regards

John

2. Mike-D

Mike-D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Search this forum for 'aerial' and you will find some very informative threads. I followed the advice of Graham and others and went for a relatively cheap 'antiference' DAB aerial. Results have been excellent. Not sure if anyone has sucessfully combined FMand DAB into a single aerial but there has been some discussion on what might be possible.

3. johnmh0

johnmh0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just trying to find out what others use and see whats worth buying i did look at a Yagi External Aerial Kit but wasnt sure is it suitable for FM and DAb ( I love FM so that is no 1 on my list ) i dont mind have 2 Aerials just want advice on which ones are worth considering.

Regrds

John

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Go to antiference's web site and pick a DAB antenna and also a suitable FM type, bung them both outside on a pole (the same as your TV aerial will do as long as you get 3ft of vertical separation between them (the DAB poles are vertical!!), you can either run three co-ax's down from them (TV, DAB and FM) all the way to the kit or several combiner/splitter amps are available which you would mount near the aerials (in the loft for instance) adn bung all three downleads into it (they are labelled normally obviously) and then you get just one lead out of the box to go to the kit end which you then terminate with a three outlet wall plate which splits the signal back out again to TV,DAB,FM, have a look at CPC for suitable types, cost isn't that much either way.

People can and do get acceptable DAB off just about any type of aerial believe it or not but to get the very best signal and grab all the available stations without "dalek" voices and drop outs you owe it to the kit to give it a good start in life. Proper job gives proper results a coupe of grand's worth of radio deserves no less really....

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Oh and that old favourite, don't forget to use a 50 Ohm BNC connector for the DAB aerial input on the T32R and naturally check where you live for any issues regarding signal availability.....

6. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    May I ask a simple "newbie" question:

I'm keen to get a DAB aerial, and will follow Grahams excellent advice, however when I phone these aerial install companies the tea-boy on the other end is unable to tell me what they will install or how they'll do it.

Anyone any recommendations for the Nottingham area?

Should I try to get 50 Ohm cable from the aerial too? I'm using the DPA32R DAB module.

Thanks for your advice!

7. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    What i did was visit the local maplins they have a variety of 50 OHM cable

Guess your length needed and get them to put the 50 OHM bnc cable on the other end then get the local tea boy to install your new area with your :thumbsup: existing cable

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    :D