Tag McLaren DVD32FLR vs Meridian 598

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by garmtz, May 7, 2003.

1. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone ever compared these two players? What would you say are the differences in sound- and image-quality?

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hello Garmtz, good to see you back posting again mate.

Both are quality DVD players.

Picture: Hard to separate, although i think the TAG has a slightly sharper image. (I've seen both via Plasma with Prog Scan in action)

DVD32FLR doesn't suffer from Chroma bug
    598 does, although Faroudja chip helps to mask it.

That'll be important to some people.

Sound: If they're with their partnering processors, then that's tough.........I'll be honest and say that i've never really had a good enough listen to the DVD32FLR to make a decent judgement....

I have heard the 598 & it's a very good one box solution.
    The real cherry is if you've got MHR Smart to 568.2/861

Then, it's a real force.......

Sync the DVD32FLR to AVR32's (whatever guise) and that'd be great too....

I'd be delighted to own either of them.

Adzman

3. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Progressive scan is not important to me. I will be using the player with an external scaler via interlaced component. I know about the Meridian having the chroma bug.

I will be using the player with a Lexicon MC-12 processor, so no partnering issues with either of them. I kinda lost interest in the Lexicon RT-10, since I don't think it will not nearly be as good as the Tag or Meridian.

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i too am on the lookout for a high end dvd player. i have decided to see the new linn machine and the Parasound Halo player looks to be quite good as well. its a shame about the Lexicon, i was going to compare it to the DV27 i have at the moment. like i say though, i will be resisting temptation until Autumn (if i can!) and looking at the machines i mentioned

5. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I see.....

These really do run better with their processors (but i'm sure you know that already)

As a stand alone source i'd need to hear the DVD32FLR in action a bit more to make a decision.

Adzman

6. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    What a decision to have to make: Should I buy a Tag or a Meridian DVD player. Wow!

They are both fabulous but I purchased the Tag unit. Mmm..........

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I would now add the Linn Unidisk to this list. I agree with Adz...all great. Looking forward to getting some time with a Linn soon. (Linn is going to be BIG bucks though)

Gordon

8. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all for the comments and suggestions!

I indeed think the Linn will be too expensive for me. Won't it be somewhere around the 8.000-11.000 Euro mark?

Which you think is best Gordon, the Meridian or Tag and why (I know, very hard to tell...)? I appreciate your knowledge on this forum! :clap:

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I think the audio and video of TAG (in interlaced mode) is superior. When used in conjunciton with the TAG Pre-amp more so....I have a customer with a 598 and 568.2 and I actually like much of what his system does....it's just that everytime I've actually compared a Meridian DVD or CD to the competition I've found it lacking in audio terms......but perhaps MHR solves this.

Have fun trying them out.

Gordon

10. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  11. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Garmtz.

Just out of interest ( i know you love your MC-12) why are you unsure about the Lex RT-10 as a source?

Adzman

12. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered Theta Carmen II?

13. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Adzman, I think the basis of the Lexicon RT-10 (the Pioneer DV747/47) is flawed. As the Lex is so much more expensive, I wonder where all the cash went into. I might try the unit anyway, just for reviewing purposes. I might surprise myself... :)

I have the Theta Carmen II at home at the moment for a review and are not impressed by what it does for the price. I had an Arcam DV27 at home at the same time and found both picture (more depth of image, even after turning down the saturation a bit: a bolder picture with some mild "ringing" however, but overall better to my eyes) and sound quality (more musically convincing, fluidity, pace & rhythm) of the Arcam "better", although some might find it just "different". The Carmen II was the better sounding unit in a purely "technical" sense, but made less music. Not worth the money though IMHO, although the Carmen II is still very, very good.

14. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garmtz - the Carmen II has one of the lowest jitter outputs of any DVD player - and CD player for that matter! This is due to Theta's (extremely good) buffer-and-reclock routines; same ones as in the Casablanca II (known as jitter jail).

What more can you possibly ask from a transport than that?

In terms of picture I think it is excellent, but that can certainly be down to preference, unlike jitter figures where the lower the better unless you don't like accurate kit (!)

15. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A more musical sound? :) I know, it is a highly subjective thing, but that is the way I listen to music.
    I do not agree about picture being a matter of preference... You can measure resolution (the DV27 was better), colour, tint, colour temperature etc., while knowing what sounds "right" is much, much more difficult and subjective. Furthermore, I think jitter is not the only parameter for good digital sound. I think it is important though. Remember that the Meridian buffers all data three times before passing it to its digital outs (this is even better than a PLL or double PLL most companies use) and both Tag McLaren and Arcam also have very low jitter figures (all < 200 ns). The small differences in jitter figures here are very hard to correlate with real differences in sound quality.

16. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is indeed highly subjective. I know of several people - as well as a few on Audio Asylum who use Carmen IIs as their CD source in high-end two channel setups with no intention of watching DVDs. It's because that is the transport Theta currently make, and it is THAT good as a CD source (and by extension - a DVD source).

But yes - subjective. And for me detail/clarity/transparency are the most important factors. There ye go ;)

17. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does the Apex compare against the Tag, Meridian & Theta players? :laugh:

18. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Garmtz: a dumb question, possibly, but is there some particular reason why you're only considering the front-loading model of the Tag player and not the higher-spec top-loading version?

19. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Price, mostly... :)