TAG McLaren Audio Model 60IRV = Audiolab 8000s ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by archy121, May 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. archy121

archy121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have been hunting ebay for a S/H TAG McLaren Audio Model 60IRV but not any about at all for a while.

So i was wondering how similar the Audiolab 8000s & the TAG McLaren Audio Model 60IRV are.

On the surface they seem to be same but in different casings.
    -Is this also the case internally ?
    -How different are they sonically ?
    -Is the Audiolab 8000S a cheap way to buy a TAG McLaren Audio Model 60IRV ?
    Also which serials of the 8000s are the best (i.e closest to TAG McLaren Audio Model 60IRV assuming they are same in diferrent guises) ?

Also would one of these amps be good match to drive a pair of KEF RDM2 Monitor speakers with a REL active Sub at the same time ?

Thanks

:rolleyes:

2. david1961

david1961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,
    I think you will find the tag a better unit
    If you look under worldwide on ebay for tag mclaren
    Not sure if there still there but theres been two there for a while

David

3. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
  4. archy121

archy121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that info on ebay availability. I'm usually vary on buying from outside UK but as the seller has high rating i will watch & decide last minute.

I am still curious to know is how the Tag Mclaren is better than the 8000s as on paper the spec's read exactly same ?
    Other than cosmetically is it also sonically better ? i.e Does it have higher quality components substituted inside ?

I also have an option to go for a Musical Fidelity A3 - which is a little outside my budget to be honest. Can someone please help me decide which would better suit the Kef RDM 2's better ? I like all sorts of varied music from rock, pop, soul to classical. Classical being the least i listen to.

*edit have just check last two 60irv's went for £300+ & £400+ in EU. How much was this unit when it was first out ?
    I think the 60I was about £499 & not sure about the 60IRV.

A quick reply would be most appreciated.

5. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Somewhere on here there is a comparison between the TAG products and the Audiolab products, documenting the difference in spec and the impact that this has in each case.

I can't find it, though. Maybe somebody else who knows more than I do can find it for you.

6. benzol

benzol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hello guys,

here this is the post summarising the "new" qualitties of the current Audiolab products.

LINK

Cheers

Benzol

7. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    That's not the one I was thinking of. It's a great long list analysing the components of each TAG and Audiolab (equivalent) model.

8. archy121

archy121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This obviously implies to the newest 8000S amps after IAG takeover. Does this also mean Audiolab 8000s amps just prior to Tag Mclaren take over (serial E & F i think) possibly shared the exactly same components as the 60IRV ?

Anyhow the Audiolab/TAG Mclaren AMP is out of the picture for me.

Last minute spontaneous decision has made me go all out on my budget of £200 & buy a MUSICAL FIDELITY A3 DUAL MONO INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER.- just WON it right now on eBay for £310.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=170105820208&rd=1&rd=1

I think that's a pretty good price considering they go for £350+ & i will be doing a personal collection (<15miles).

I assumed it is the better amp by reputation of Musical Fidelity, Dual Mono design, [email protected], pre out for my Sub & the higher price point that was sold at initially in 2001 - £900. I could only find one review of it- And here is a paragraph from it:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/225875.html

I really hope that the A3 will be worth the extra £110 i went over budget. To be honest i am feeling a little low about having gone over budget. My hopes are it lives up to its reputation & i will enjoy it for many years. I am not one to do upgrades very often & prefer to buy the best i can afford & keep onto it for long as possible.

9. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    When your A3 arrives, have a quick shufti underneath and check which model revision it is. It'll either be:

nomel
    yekrut

If it's the earlier, nomel version, you're OK. Pray that it's not a yekrut. :nono:

10. archy121

archy121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yekrut ?

Can you please expand on this ?

*edit the owner has had it from new - 6/7 years so thats probably older build.

11. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Spell it backwards. :D

12. archy121

archy121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lolz.. i was just about to reply & ask if you was pulling my leg.

What reasoning have you to say older revisions are turkey ?

13. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I haven't. I am sure it will be perectly fine for you. I was only having a laugh because I had spent so much time looking for that comparison thread for you.....

14. stef1777

stef1777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This was for the Audiolab's AV30. I don't know for the rest of product's line.

15. archy121

archy121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your efforts mate - much appreciated.

It really was a spontaneous decision on my behalf. I saw A3 this morning with no bids & thats why i was very desperate to get some info on the audiolab/tag versus A3. I really wanted an idea if the extra &#163;100+ i was going to be worth it in terms of sonics.

Still not sure if i did the right thing... time will tell

16. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Well, generally if something has no bids on eBay it's because it's too expensive. I have a DVD player on right now that has no watchers even, so I know it's too expensive.

OTOH no bids could = yekrut :thumbsdow

Mind you I was watching Gavp's Wadia 25 NOSDAC the other day; no takers at £800, so he relisted it at £700 and it went for £1063, so you never can tell. Fickle place, eBay.

17. Rotelmeister

Rotelmeister
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this may be an old topic but I just thought I'd add a few comments. I owned a pre-IAG 8000s and subsequently a 60iRV. I blew the 8000s by turning it up too loud during a particularly enthusiastic listening of the massive drum intro of Leave It from 90125 by Yes. My fault and I can't blame anyone for that. IAG wanted silly money (back in 2007) to repair it so I cut my losses and bought a 60iRV which sadly also blew as a result of a minor pop from my laptop (I was listening to internet radio) which was extremely annoying, to say the least! Of course, I didn't bother to approach IAG again and the amps have consequently sat in my attic for a few years.

However, I recently had both items looked at by an excellent repair shop in my area and I was told that the protection circuit in these amps is not guaranteed to save them from accidental overloads of one sort or another (for comparison, I accidentally had a huge electrical spike through an old Yamaha DSP-A595a - don't let young children near your hifi cables - and it switched itself off and came back on a few seconds later with no problems) and in the case of the 60iRV, numerous components had been fried. Both amps would cost more than their current value to repair so they'll be for sale soon as spares.

The repair shop also showed me the internals of these items and the components are exactly the same apart from name changes of course and I believe the 60iRV has a bit more power. TAG altered the casing slightly for one of the buttons on the front and the upper heat outlet cut-outs are slightly different but essentially these products are one and the same. They do produce a really lovely sound as many will agree but I don't think they're the most robust design; a bit like old Ferraris or Lamborghinis... absolutely sublime performance but dodgy electrics could easily leave you stranded!