Tag McLaren Aphrodite Inside View

AMCross

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi all

finally took the plunge and taken my faulty Aphrodite apart as no longer reading discs

my main unit had a new laser done by IAG but this spare unit with no one willing to take a look I have nothing to loose

so purchased a sony ksm213cdm unit and will have a go myself :)

wish me luck
20161122_151231250_iOS.jpg
20161122_151239377_iOS.jpg

looks rather interesting but i wouldnt try it

Had a friends unit that wouldnt read discs so a tech here put a new laser mech

Fixed the problem but wasnt an expensive fix so i dont know if he had to go as far as you have

David

It was rather simple to take apart to be honest and I know some people like me are curious to see what the equipment looks like inside

Changing the CD player is quite simple as well

Just wish they had developed the look more

Could you imagine a DVD player in this type of unit

Bit like a dvd32flr premium model

Wish the DVD mechanism was easier to purchase as I would swap one of them as well

all working :)

20161124_112912909_iOS.jpg

it does make you wonder where things would have gone had they have kept going

Aphrodite that plays blurays now that would have been a nice piece of gear

well done :smashin::thumbsup:

I always open the gadgets I buy, unless there is a warranty seal, in that case I open it when warranty is out :D

Bumping this old thread up to ask if anyone sees it and knows, how to open an Aphrodite up? I have removed the sides without problem, and worked out to remove the front panel after removing the Torx screws underneath and the two umbilicals that connect to it. My problem is how to remove the 'top' as per the photos above in order to get to the under side of it and access to the transport and associated parts? I want to give it all a clean and relube in order to improve door opening, which is a bit sticky when first turning it on.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

once you have taken off the 8 side crews and end caps

there are like you say about 6 torx screws on the bottom of the unit

the front of the unit then lifts up and is held at the back just by the metal casework being in a groove

be careful of the front display piece as this will come off first

there are two power cables black and red wires that will need unclipping just behind the display

Thanks so much for your reply. I'd got to that stage - torx screws out and front panel off - but wasn't sure about that last part you describe of lifting off the top from the groove at the rear and was worried about doing damage if I forced anything. I'll likely have another try in a few days although I am presently just using it as is; the lid is only sticky/lazy prior to the first disc being played, by the time a CD is finished the mechanism seems to have warmed up enough to function correctly. Still haven't worked out how to programme a universal remote to operate the volume control though!

Thanks again for your reply.

If it’s sticking only when cold then I would leave alone

It appears to be the norm with these units

I had just bought a defective Aphrodite and disassembled it out of curiosity. Thanks for the tip with the lid.

Unfortunately it will probably take some time until Kevin picks this one up from Germany. But I was quite surprised how big and heavy the device is. It's pretty much the last device that I still missed in my collection

Are you sure Kevin will look at it same as dvd32r not his specialty

What wrong with it out of curiosity

Yes I am but I don't know if he offers this in general or just for me because we are friends.

When you plug in the power plug, the LED of the volume control lights up and the light in the cd drive goes on. It also sounds as if any motor is running. Otherwise nothing happens, display stays off.

He loves them really got
Plenty of experience on my electric blue model

sounds lile
The power supply need attention

That's right, I was going to return the favor with a few bottles of German beer for the unloved work.

If you like, I can keep you posted on whether he can get the machine working again. It's gonna take a while, though.

Attachments

• DSC_0070.JPG
    DSC_0070.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0071.JPG
    DSC_0071.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_0072.JPG
    DSC_0072.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 234
Think the blue is the best color

got
Anthracite one as well

red is next for me :)

Royal blue is also my favourite colour. With the Calliopes I already have some different colours, among others anthracite, silver and dark grey.

Which, by the way, works quite well to treat the speakers and Aphrodite with car polish. With that I could remove some scratches.

Agree also use zymol wax on my equipment

have been looking for a pair of calliope speaker for ages with the bass modules

Yes the bass modules are very rare. Luckily I have two pairs of them and now 6 pairs Calliopes + 2 Center speaker. In my opinion these bass modules are a big improvement.

ive got the metal work for an aphrodite that im planning on getting the local mclaren garage to paint either vermillion red or papaya spark just cant decide

Are you planning to paint only the Aphrodite or also the speakers too? If I should choose between your two options I would prefer papaya spark.

just the unit papaya spark is my first choice as well

dont have the speakers yet on the lookout for a pair

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom