1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tag mclaren 100x7r.Does anyone here have personal experience with this amp?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by g.man, Aug 9, 2005.

1. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    recently purchased an av32r 7.1 sp, and am now swithering and dithering over amplifiers. the 100x5r would be perfect, but its hard to find one in bonny Scotland. I can get the 100x7r for a good price,but its hard to find anything concrete about it on the net. I wouldn't be able to audition it, so if any of you have personal experience with one perhaps you could let me know.
    the tag site says it will draw up to 2000 watts of power from the mains, does this mean it runs very hot? cos I really dont need another heater in the living room! how hot is it for everyday telly volume over long periods?

how does it sound for stereo sources such as cd etc

Am also swithering over Rotel RMB1075 which I've heard, and which sounds pretty good, how does it compare with the 100x7r, I'm not overly worried about only having 5 channels so I need to Know how legitamate an option this is.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Raphie

Raphie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had the ROTEL RMB-1095, now have the 100x5R and a Mark Levinson 431. The 100x5R is a nice amp, much more detailed then the 1095, but missed "the balls" of the ROTEL. i assume the the 100x7R is not far off from the 5ch version. Which will give you loads of detail and drive a modest volumes, but it will not cope with the presure and rythm the Rotel delivers in the lows and mid lows. Hence i purchased the ML-431 for stereo.

3. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, thanks Raphie, it's always a trade off with these things innit!
    anyone else out there, any info or pointers towards reviews of the 100x7r would be greatly appreciated :)

4. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?...

5. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi G.man,

Do you mean the 700:7R,

If you do, I can tell you about it as I have one

Cheers

Bushy

6. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or do you mean the 100x5r with 10 channels? I have one of those with 7 channels loaded which you may mean by 100x7r????

7. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for any confusion chaps! the amp i meant was the 700:7r. anything you could tell me about it would be great Bushy:)

8. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not as good as a 100*5.Not monoblocks either

9. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Johnson. I gathered that, but would like to know how good it actually is. My main front speakers are old Mission 753's which aren't hard to drive, if that helps :0

10. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi G.man,

OK, well as Simon says, it's not as good as the 100x5R.

Mine currently drives Kef Q5's as fronts (with two channels bridged), a Jamo 200 as a centre and MS bi poles as rears.

All of these are easy driven and as I don't ever listen to anything loud (max I get to is -30dB on my AV32RDP) then all is fine and dandy.

I listen to stereo source a lot, my comparison is with some oldish kit which was a Cambridge CD3 through a Nad Monitor series Pre/Power into Celestion DL12's. this set up would have cost something like £1500 when purchased.

There is no comparison (as you would expect) that TAG kit beats it hands down.

I Also had the same set up with a TAG PA10 and P60 with the Cambridge and the Celestion's, again no comparison with the new set-up

Clarity is absolute in my view, and I'm still hearing things in the music from some CD's never heard before.

Interestingly my brother -- somewhat of a music nut (over 2000 cd's at the last count) came to listen to the system and he heard 'new' things too -- he has his own studio burning to red book etc etc so that suprised me a bit !

Anyway there you go, the only thing I would consider changing to would be a 100x5R, so if anyone wants to swap ! LOL

Cheers

Bushy

11. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Bushy! How hot does it run under everyday conditions, ie telly, watching dvd's @ reasonably loud volume, standby etc. Do you have it stacked? and if not ,how much breathing space do you have above it? I'm just curious cause the tag website says not to put anything on top of it?
    Thanks
    G.man :)

12. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi G.man,

It sits on the bottom of my equipment stand, doesn't get hot, doesn't buzzzzzzz

It auto senses signal going to it and switches in from standby, and then after use about 5 mins, switches back to standby. ( I find this feature very useful when listening to music late at night -- basically because a when you have fallen asleep, the cd finishes, and % mins later the CLUNK of the amp going to standby wakes you up LOL LOL)

Bushy

13. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bushy! appreciate the info. :)
    Is anyone out there using an av32r with the rotel rmb1075 as a power-amp, if so let me know what you think... thanks

14. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Im using a AV32r DP with an RMB1075, sounds pretty good to me but I havent used the Tag with any other power amps. I think I am finding its limits though with the speakers I am driving (B&W 800 Series) as it seems to struggle at higher volumes.

Its my next item to upgrade but I know it is going to cost me an arm and a leg.

15. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Cheepskate :)

16. Bizoh

Bizoh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy to setup, runs cool though I don't thrash mine; not as good as 100x5 which is not as good as the 250x3 and so it goes on but very good for what it is and on a cost per channel one of the cheapest and most effective ways to get into TAG.

Very happy with mine especially the on-off as metioned above.

Bizoh

17. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Bizoh! :)