For Sale Tag McLaren 100x5R

Discussion in 'Archived Classifieds' started by Parmenion, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    There is only one way to build a multi channel power amplifier and that is, a monoblock.

Here each channel has its own transformer and power supply and its own discrete circuitry. Some manufacturers use a single transformer with each channel pulling power from it as they need it. The well known American manufacturer Carver, amongst others, makes a virtue of this compromised solution and calls it ‘power steering’ as if the amplifier was doing something as opposed to responding to the demands of the individual channels.

Tag McLaren designed the 100x5R from the start as a ‘no compromise’ solution so that none of the individual channels would be affected by what was happening on any of the others, allowing the full impact of a film to be reproduced. They used the best components available and housed them in an aluminium chassis and followed this by rating the amplifier at well below its real world power ability. Time and again reviewers were amazed by the measured power output far exceeding the specs. A typical example is shown below:

(testing the av processor AV32R with five channel amplifier 100x5R)
    "In our listening tests the 100x5R/AV32R combination was one of the very best we have ever tested. Such powerful, low frequency extended, yet transparent, spatial and relaxed systems are very rarely found. Particularly, the spatial information is wonderfully accurate and sound locations are easily detected, revealing even the most complex sounds with ease.

We have never seen such identical frequency response from all channels in our AV-laboratory. The signal to noise ratio is extraordinary. And in terms of amplifier output power the 5x145 watts into 8 ohms, respectively 5 x 235 watts into 4 ohms.
    Audiovision

I am offering for sale this Tag McLaren 100x5R amplifier in black. The amp has no marks that I can see and comes with its original packaging. The price is £650 and is cash on collection from near J25 of the M25. At a later stage I may be the listing the accompanying AV32R (Dual Processor) version.

Please Note: If you are thinking of making any price comparisons with other previously sold 100x5R’s I’d be grateful if they can be made on a like for like basis. This unit was hand delivered to Kevin Green at ‘Audiocellar’ and was serviced by him. This included new caps where necessary and at the same time the individual channels were re-biased. Since its return it has been used on 3 or 4 occasions to test and then been re-boxed.

The new owner will not be disappointed.

Regards

Parmenion

p.s. I can't always access the forum from work (weekends included) but will try to check in during the day to reply.

Price and currency: £650
    Delivery: Goods must be exchanged in person
    Payment method: Cash on collection
    Advertised elsewhere?: Advertised elsewhere
    Prefer goods collected?: I prefer the goods to be collected

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via private conversation to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:

• Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct, too
    • Name and address including postcode
    • Valid e-mail address
    DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

2. Deleted member

Deleted member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you send the amp by courier?
    Any pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  3. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    When was it serviced? As above any pictures?

4. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Apologies for the delay in replying. 12 hour shifts plus travelling time are taking their toll.

Although I would prefer collection I do have the boxes for shipping. If a buyer wanted to arrange collection I would make myself available for the courier.

Tag Power amp.jpg

It was serviced just before Christmas. Since that time it was used about 3 times and then boxed. It's in great condition and sounds just fabulous. Having owned many of the high end power amplifiers I can honestly say that this is a gem.

(In reply to a pm, I've owned Krell, NADTHX, Rotel, Emotiva, Parasound and a few others. I was the person who originally sold the Cinepro to Angel Eyes which kicked off his ownership and love affair with that product. I'd like to think I have the experience to know what I'm talking about when it comes to power amplifiers)

regards

Parmenion

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  5. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Is this the one you bought on here in sept and if so how comes your moving it on?

6. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    This was my original one from Tag. I bought an amp on here together with a Lexicon processor to put together a system for a friends basement home cinema conversion.

regards

Parmenion

7. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    Can you use banana plugs with this amp? From pictures online it looks as if the speaker terminals only accepts spades.
    Also, how would this compare to my Parasound and do you think it would be a good match for my MK Sound S150s? Thank you.:smashin:

8. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    It does accept banana plugs which is how I used it.

I had the 2205 Parasound and the Tag comfortably bettered that in every respect.

I use MK 150's as well and the Tag sounds fabulous with them. Both speaker and amp were made without compromise and it really shows what high end kit is capable of.

regards

Parmenion

9. Deleted member

Deleted member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £500 delivered here
    Thanks

10. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    I am prepared to take for asking and collect given you can supply a receipt from ‘TheAudioCellar’ outlining the work undertaken during the service. This would be akin to a service history and would enable me to remind Kevin of the work done on the amp previously should I need to avail of his services in the future.

I assume that the amp is on the latest firmware and it comes with the original remote control and packaging? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  11. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I'll contact Kevin today (hopefully) and get that sorted.

I will post here as soon as I have a reply.

regards

Parmenion

12. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    Thank you.:smashin:

13. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I've been in touch with Audiocellar and sent them the serial number as requested. Just waiting to hear back from them.

regards

Parmenion