For Sale Tag McLaren 100x5R

Discussion in 'Archived Classifieds' started by Parmenion, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Tag Power amp.jpg Inside Tag power amp.jpg

There is only one way to build a multi channel power amplifier and that is, a monoblock.

Here each channel has its own transformer and power supply and its own discrete circuitry. Some manufacturers use a single transformer with each channel pulling power from it as they need it. The well known American manufacturer Carver, amongst others, makes a virtue of this compromised solution and calls it ‘power steering’ as if the amplifier was doing something as opposed to responding to the demands of the individual channels.

Tag McLaren designed the 100x5R from the start as a ‘no compromise’ solution so that none of the individual channels would be affected by what was happening on any of the others, allowing the full impact of a film to be reproduced. They used the best components available and housed them in an aluminium chassis and followed this by rating the amplifier at well below its real world power ability. Time and again reviewers were amazed by the measured power output far exceeding the specs. A typical example is shown below:

(testing the av processor AV32R with five channel amplifier 100x5R)
    "In our listening tests the 100x5R/AV32R combination was one of the very best we have ever tested. Such powerful, low frequency extended, yet transparent, spatial and relaxed systems are very rarely found. Particularly, the spatial information is wonderfully accurate and sound locations are easily detected, revealing even the most complex sounds with ease.

We have never seen such identical frequency response from all channels in our AV-laboratory. The signal to noise ratio is extraordinary. And in terms of amplifier output power the 5x145 watts into 8 ohms, respectively 5 x 235 watts into 4 ohms.
    Audiovision

I am offering for sale this Tag McLaren 100x5R amplifier in black. The amp has no marks that I can see and comes with its original packaging. The price is £650 and is cash on collection from near J25 of the M25. At a later stage I may be the listing the accompanying AV32R (Dual Processor) version.

Please Note: If you are thinking of making any price comparisons with other previously sold 100x5R’s I’d be grateful if they can be made on a like for like basis. This unit was hand delivered to Kevin Green at ‘Audiocellar’ and was serviced by him. This included new caps where necessary and at the same time the individual channels were re-biased. Since its return it has been used on 3 or 4 occasions to test and then been re-boxed.

The new owner will not be disappointed.

Regards

Parmenion

Price and currency: £650
    Delivery: Goods must be exchanged in person
    Payment method: Cash
    Advertised elsewhere?: Advertised elsewhere
    Prefer goods collected?: I prefer the goods to be collected

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via private conversation to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:

• Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct, too
    • Name and address including postcode
    • Valid e-mail address
    DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  2. komarfamily

komarfamily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi would u consider 600gbp collected? I would love to compare it with my marantz 8003 power amp.
    what do u think is it worth the change?
    cheers
    laszlo

3. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Laszlo, I haven't heard the Marantz so I can't comment. The Marantz is, however, one of the amplifiers I was talking about with a single transformer shared between channels. I think it's fair to say that it will have been built according to specs and in order to reach a certain price point to compete with similar products. I'm thinking of Denon here.

A quick copy and paste from a review
    "MM8003 Amplifier
    The MM8003 is said to deliver 140 WPC, though the specs say that the .08 percent distortion is for driving two channels simultaneously at that power rating. It is likely that the amp produces 90-100 clean watts — with all channels driven at low distortion levels."

The Tag McLaren was built without compromise.

As the ad is only an hour old, I'll hold out for the asking price.

If you can add the extra £50 you will own one of the best power amplifiers ever made. IMO.

regards

Parmenion

4. kalimon

kalimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Fantastic amp and beautifully described, such a shame you're miles away

5. sprout

sprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Would like to offer the asking price if you can courier fully insured. I would cover the cost of the insured courier to of course.

Payment by BT

@Parmenion

6. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Sprout, If you wanted to choose and arrange a courier to collect, I would be willing to make myself available on a suitable day.

If this is agreeable we can go to pm?

regards

Parmenion

7. sprout

sprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Thanks for the quick response.

I would have wanted you to arrange the courier so I will have to pass.

Reason being if anything goes wrong with transit I always prefer the responsibility to be with the seller to chase the courier. I appreciate you did mention collection only so I would like to thank you for the offer. I am sure someone more local will be along very soon.

Regards
    Sprout

8. komarfamily

komarfamily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi i would love to give it a try. Would u accept return within a day if i dont hear significant difference? Cheers

9. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Laszlo, I'm looking to use the money to fund a non AV purchase.

regards

Parmenion