1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAG is Back

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dragonfly, Sep 20, 2003.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I heard that Tag Mclaren have changed their mind,and the high-end AV brand has bounced back and its now business as usual.
    This is good news for people like me i was about to change my Yamaha DSPA1 for AV32R when the company made the last announcement of stopping the production of AV system.
    :clap:

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't this old news :)???

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    But back for how long?

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive talked a couple of good dealers who told me to stay away from tag...... maybe they are wrong, but having your dealers being of this opinion isnt a good thing!

anyhow, i'll belt up!

Ad

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously the Dealers don't want to heavily invest in a company built on Ice.

However I can't see a problem with Aftersales with TAG, so unless you're after upgrades I see little reason not to buy their products.

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Does the height channel and PL2x not count as upgrades?
    Personally i feel the ball is rather in Arcam's court now i know how i would feel if i had bought an AV8 snd it turns out that these upgrades do not become available yet are on the much cheaper forth-coming integrated av300.
    As i understand it Tag are having a push for the U.S market which some have said could be the last stand.

Regards

Steven

7. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't have called the "height channel" and upgrade... this has been a feature with others for a long while

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    With all due respect, if you are refering to the Yamaha "hieght" channel then the two are worlds apart.

Regards

Steven.

9. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm referring to the 9k "ES" height processing

Sounded on a par with te MC1 and BS Meridian when I compared them

(Tri SHARC processing power probably something to do with it)

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comparing a Sony to Lexicon, Meridian or a Tag?

I'm not saying anything ;-)

11. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You Feeling OK Nathan

12. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    This Sony 9000 you're on about is it an old model or the hulking great new amp coming out soon?

If it's old does it do 7 channel and can I pick them up cheap on eBay?

As for TAG I was told they have 2 years maximum to turn the situation around.

13. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you should listen to the 9000.

Puts Tags banging on about dual SHARC into perspective.

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I myself have purchased a TAG recently - the decision was a no brainer as their products are still excellent and were going cheap.

I dont worry myself about upgrades. In two years time TAG will probably not be in business - I hope they will be but highly unlikely given their current rep - I mean who in their right mind will pay full wack for any of their current lineup given the prices now established by exdemo sales.

15. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a pure processor, the new DA9k is a derivative of it.
    It's 5.1 and Virtual Matrix 6.1 (hence them being found for about £500 these days)

If it had lex's logic processing it would be awesome

16. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Fufna

Quote : "Puts Tags banging on about dual SHARC into perspective"

I think you are somewhat missing the point re: Analogue devices Sharc chipsets, those that are current are somewhat more capable than yesteryears models.

Regards

Steven

17. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't get what the issue is here.

If I buy Denon, Sony, Yamaha etc etc etc then I have NO CHANCE of any updates whether the company is alive or dead in three years. That's why I just dumped my Denon amp after 3 years - the technology it uses is old, the software is way behind the times, it doesn't cope with the newer formats. It was dead technology the second I bought it. The fact that Denon are still in business does me no favours whatsoever.

If I buy TAG (which I just have) I know I have a good chance that they will be around for another year or two and possibly much longer so my chances of keeping abreast of new software changes are pretty good (and compared to 95% of other manufactureres they are excellent).

Sure it is more expensive but then it is also a damn sight better than the Sony/Denon etc brigade - it ought to be for the price. Sure, you pay a premium for the design which means it can be upgraded in the future.

You pays yer money and makes yer choice.

18. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be interesting for those people who give Tag no more lifespan than a couple of years to explain their thinking. Are those statements based on inside info, informed speculation or just unsubstantiated gossip?

Regards

Rob

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like the "gossip" that turned into reality a little while back eh?

20. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Rob - as I said I really dont care much for upgrades etc etc so I just bought an AV30 which does me fine. Regarding explaining the thinking behind TAG packing it in after one or two years - I hope not but it's a strong possibility given their rep with dealers - I dont see many of them pushing the boat out to sell a new £4k processor to a local customer. Also do you really see a potential AV customer putting his money on a new AV192 at £10k (or whatever it is) knowing TAG's recent problems. I can only see the company's turnover going south from what is already a poor sales performance.

21. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Rob I don't know if the dealer I spoke to had inside info but this is my take on it. TAG are now an AV company and to survive desperately need the American market. So I would say a year to get the dealers on side, the support systems in place (not shipping them to the UK for repair) and to get PR and advertising going. Then a year to see if it worked.

On another point I've been over to the TAG site seeing if there's any bargains about and I realised something. TAG do pretty much all I want and I can just about afford a second hand processor. But then I read the Forums.... and I don't like Dr. Udo. His attitude doesn't represent what I want to buy into, maybe I'll get over it or maybe I won't.

22. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many sales has Udo lost from peeps reading the Tag forum?............

Attitude? I'm saying nothing either.

23. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are you guys banging on about? Do you have to have Udo around for dinner when you buy his kit?

Who cares what the CEO thinks or says. Your buying the kit not him.

Do you know what the CEO of the company that makes your car is like? What about the boss of the company that made the computer you are using? They might be the biggest pr***s on the planet but who cares.

What does it matter? I agree Udo can be a bit annoying but that's hardly a rational reason to dismiss his kit!

24. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not, but his presence and actions in their forum were one of their main sales arguments. And his acting recently destroyed it all!

TAG has great support and products as many of you stated, but their CEO is reason enough not to buy! I am happy I went across the street.

25. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    I can say with some confidence that new product from Tag will be some time coming if it ever does. We have hired one of their former R&D engineers and recieved CV's from three more. There seems a skeleton crew putting the final touches on the upgrades mentioned in the release and then that's about it.

26. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are many reasons to pick up a Tag bargain, and it's understandable that people will be apprehensive about the future of their product/back up service.
    I have always been under the impression that Tag - love 'em or hate 'em - are pretty true to their word when it comes to service and upgrades. Not one other single brand has been able to offer the sheer quantity of quality upgrades and software advances that they have, which ultimately led to their lack of funds and restructure.
    The thinking of "If you develop it, they will buy it" just didn't come to fruition for them. Maybe this was Dr Udo's fault, as some of you have pointed out, he has a tendancy to be somewhat arrogant, but they went for it and it didn't come off.
    Dealers i've spoken to are actually gutted about Tag's demise in the UK as it now means it's back to the old players again, and the snails pace at which they produce new technology can be very frustrating. I expect that there are a few other UK based manufacturers out there who will be drawing on a lot of the Tag developed technology for their "new" ranges due for release. I suppose we'll just have to wait for the Heathrow show next week to see who's doing what.
    In Dr Udo's defence, i've sunk a few Bitburgers with him over dinner and he's actually a nice guy. I think maybe we're all a bit different at work?;)

27. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've spent about 2 hours on the Tag forums. From that short amount of time I've gotten a idea what Udo is. Some of his replies are fine.. but then he just spouts drivel, and is offensive. A wnaker who treats customers like total morons. He also dislikes anyone disagreeing with his/Tag's design philosophies.

Even he is a wnaker- he shouldn't try and come across like that when dealing with customers.

I wonder how people would treat Arcam & John Dawson if something like this happens Q- "Hi I've a Arcam P7 poweramp and it struggles to drive my speakers" A- "You are a idiot"

That's the gist of it.

28. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674

nathan,I'm sure that 2 hours on the Tag forums is an admirable qualification for the statements above,and I'm sure I will also be dismissed as a Tag-phile,but the service I've had from them has been excellent so far,and that includes after the so-called "internal review/restructuring".

As for it's CEO,he can be somewhat single-minded as regards his product,but the same can be said of so many others....at least criticism of those products is listened to,and not dismissed out of hand(as many of their product changes/upgrades will bear out).

In any case,since you have a Lex,the goings-on at Tag should be of no concern to you.

29. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was before I bought the Lexicon- I was just browsing through the forums. I couldn't believe his replies. Not only were they rude, but offensive. I could also smell the stench of BS and sales talk. And in some cases incorrect (ie recommending buying another Tag product that was unnecessary if the guy just connected it differently. At least with other bosses on various other forums they actually praise other products, offer alternatives etc. Not on the Tag forums. If you mention anything else or state your opinion threads strangely disappear. I noticed Zucker renamed a thread from (example) "I'm having problems with.." to "I'm a idiot and don't know how to use my gear" how professional.

It was like stepping into a Bose dealership. Everything they sell is great, everything else is rubbish. I don't get that from my local dealer, nor do I expect 100% full on sales talk from CEO's. I just won't accept it.

For example John Dawson- I'm pretty sure he praises other gear. The same for Tom V.

I've emailed Tom a few times, and ask "what do you think of the Servo 15 & Rel Storm" Did he say "They're both crap, buy SVS" No. He also praises the Velodyne HGS range.

30. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Now that's a slightly more reasoned view....and I agree with your comments re Tom Vodhanel and John Dawson.
    I also think that if a product is good enough,it doesn't need the "support" of having other products slagged.
    Luckily,with or without the comments of it's CEO,Tag has produced some very high quality goods(and some I wouldn't buy,as you know).
    It would be shame if they do finally withdraw from the market,as competition between manufacturers can drive quality forwards.