Tag DVD32R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by martintyler, Jan 29, 2003.

1. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are your opinions on this piece of kit, especially when partnered with an AV32R?

I am interested in its music abilities aswell as video.

Its obviously an expensive item, and more so to add prog scan. Currently running a 42" plasma and a DV88+AV32R. I'm not likely to be moving to a CRT projector, but a DLP (living room friendly) might be on the cards at some point and i wouldnt want to spend a lot on the tag if it wouldnt be good with a projector too (scaling?).

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi
    i have not got a lot of time to give you an in depth review or anything but here goes.
    I have had mine for a year and I can honestly say the PQ is stunning. I auditioned it against the Arcam DV27 and it was obviously better but it is a matter of opinion if it is over £2500 better. My wife made the final decision saying now that we have seen the Tag how can you go for anything else.

I only use mine for HC as I have a separate system for music. I have a Lexicon MC1 as my cinema processor which I preferred over the AV32 due to to its Logic 7 capabilities.

Try the Tag forum where you will find loads of the type of information you are looking for. Better still go find your nearest dealer and have a home demo which is what I did.

Darren

3. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    As Darren notes, the DVD32R is a fiendishly good DVD & CD player. The build quality is superb & the raft of connections it can (could) handle are mighty impressive.
    Picture via BNC Component is superb & i believe (for info only) the S-Video is supposed to be white hot. (and we're talking about interlaced pictures here) I can imagine the PSM upgrade to Silicon Image de-interlacer adds further improvements.
    Sync it to AVR32 and you've got a formidable front end.

Amongst the very finest disc spinners available.

Dont worry, i wont mention Mer***an

:) Adzman

4. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

Any comments on my display/scaling point? I am assuming with a 852x480 plasma it wont be an issue, but is it going to need an expensive scaler to get the best from a projector?

Going to try and get a home demo sorted out.. any advice on where to try NicolasB? ;)

Martin

5. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Your wife sounds like mine :D I have her to thank for my Plasma and my DVD7 :rolleyes:

Priceless aren't they.

D.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +887
    I have no knowledge whatsoever either of home demos or of the display end of AV equipment, so you're on your own there, mate. :) A year or two down the line I intend to get serious about plasmas, projectors and video scalers, but at the moment I can't even afford the audio equipment I'm buying. :(

7. tyrekicker

tyrekicker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin

Check out Tag site for dealers close to you.

Also have a look at the second hand market - A DVD32R for £2600 from TAG with 1 year warranty.

Regards

Andy

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Martin, sorry we didn’t touch base at the weekend, I have been away on business since.

I think our Meridian friend has summed it up nicely. The Tag DVD32R does sound and vision really well. I have never heard better from a DVD player. For CD PCM it rules supreme. Picture is the best interlaced image I have seen. The PSM module allows PAL / NTSC PS on the DVD player and other sources as well but I have only limited experience with it, largely excellent.

There are other quality DVD player however. Theta David2 immediately comes to mind. Both of these are transports. Both of these are significant money. For much less you can have some serious performance (close to Tag) for half’ish money. Meridian / Arcam / Toshiba (even baby Tag) players come to mind as excellent with the former two also having GREAT matching processors. These probably represent better value but not the ultimate performance, you pays your money….

I have had my Tag DVD for over 2 years now. It is fun and after 2 years it is still the player against which others aim to beat. I have one friend who gave me hell for spending so much on a DVD player but in the same period of time he has been through 4 players of various merits, none particularly brilliant.

So I think the Tag is brilliant (love that top loading transport) but there are other quality solutions out there.

But partnered with an AV32R it is virtually unbeatable.

9. tyrekicker

tyrekicker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin

Have you not considered the FLR, £1500 cheaper and by all accounts almost as good as the top loader.
    £1500 saved will also get your AV32R upgraded with PSM board.

I am couting my pennies for a DVD32FLR, which I prefer over the top loader, horses for courses....

Regards

Andy

10. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    In a review I read its actually better.

Think it was in home cinema choice number 6 not the monthly one.