1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag DVD32FLR

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by AMCross, Jul 19, 2004.

1. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Come on guys is the front loader worth the money or should i pay a premium for the top loader.

My only concern with the DVD32R is the door problems everyone seems to have had.

The main problem is i have just been offered a Tag DVD32FLR for £950 new in the box(no its not hot) and i cannot see the top loader surviving my kids

2. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know if this guy have another new one FLR left?? I could be interested,

Thanks.

3. Welly123

Welly123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an FLR for sale, having just upgraded to the top-loader.... want a bit more than £950 though. It's on the HiFi for sale web site: (http://www.adverts.hififorsale.com/vardet.asp) I am open to reasonable offers.

Regards

Russell

4. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To put my 2 cents worth in.... I've never had problems with the top-loading mech, and personally love it. Don't forget, for every report you may have heard about issues/quirks there are proabably many dozens who have found everything perfect!
    <<As I've also just bought a 2nd DVD32 (this time with PSM) you'll find my first one in the classified section (including optimistic price!) so feel free to chip in with an offer!>>

5. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a DVD32R and my door does have a minor problem... it sticks when closing (i.e. never when opening). Problem is easily solved by a little push... not much of an issue for me as I have to get up to load the DVD in any event.

That said, when (and of ever) it gets upgraded, I will, of course, get the door fixed.

Hope that helps.

Joel

6. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, if you refer to the DVD32R of the latest generation which definitely has not only the DVD32R's initial door issues rectified but ALSO contains a much improved drive mechanism, then I would clearly recommend the DVD32R: I surely did and I never regret it - and I tried out both for a long time:thumbsup: .

The DVD32R's CD performance is definitely superior to the DVD32FLR - this becomes particularly an issue if you play music a little louder due to the increased acoustic feedback. In addition the DVD32R is (to my knowledge) the world's only hi-end top-loader design and will (to my best guess) remain for a very long time to come. And top loaders made the best CD players now and then, as you can see from many manufacturers having gone down that way.
    There is also a tiny difference in DVD replay due to the higher mass and hence better accoustic isolation of the printed circuit board.

BTW, when I was working at TMA, we couldn't find anything wrong with the latest DVD32R - even after years, except that it didn't allow us in the end an "all-digital" path to the later added DVI interface. Whilst it is/wasn't cheap, the high price wasn't really reducable by any significant margin except one had designed around a mass-market player (with little to gain compared to a, say GBP 50 player) or drop the top-loading mechanism. The latter was done in form of the DVD32FLR. And, interestingly, the DVD32FLR was correctly priced whereas the DVD32R was not achieving any profit margin. In actual fact, TMA's sales department rather shifted FLR's than top-loaders.

Very soon the DVD32R will be history- and that is not because it has been overtaken by better products of similar price but the simple fact that the last populated motherboard has gone and with it the last Mediamatics Pantera 1 MPEG decoder which is the heart of the DVD32R and DVD32FLR. So better hurry but check with IAG's helpdesk the exact built specification before purchasing a player.

That's my opinion which I believe isn't partial but well informed:) .

7. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Honest words, but I bet some would have prefered hearing it earlier, and not being opposed each time when talking about begative aspects of DVD32R. On the other hands that's business world, you can never be too honest. But what we always brought out were actual facts that were always denied, at least until today.

About another comment, Audionet makes another good hi-end top loader if someone asks. (AV processor with room correction too - they even wrote proprietary software simmilar to ETF for their use). Interesting fact is that they follow (in a certain way) the same path TMA took, only with a couple of years delay.

____

AMCROSS, for you, remember Udo's words well and you might even take attention to mine too. Under no circumstances buy DVD32R with silver puck, whatever anyone tells you. It has old type mechanism that simply can not play all disks and has few more issues too. Its latest firmware can be updated only in factory (I am still holding myself from sending it to UK just to upgrade firmware and door mechanism - but I'll have to do it soon or a later) and if you do not have it you might need to send it over. It also plays no DVD-Rs if that is issue for you.
    If you decide to go for DVD32R wait for one with black puck. There are a plenty of them on diverse clearances or on ebay. Fullstop!

DVD32R is actually marvelous piece of engineering, beautifull toy to keep as an item for years (who can afford it) but it's time is gone, not only because of this Panthera issue. If you're buying from new it might be wiser to wait a bit and see what comes around. Unidisc is here, some of the others are coming too, and also noone from us knows what IAG will do. So if the money is not really burning thru your pockets give it a hold. You will have a plenty of choice soon.

Regards
    Miron

8. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, please note that the colour of the puck is not linked to the type of mechanism used. The puck changed from silver to black and then back to silver. The latest mechanism can easily be identified by IAG's helpdesk, quoting the serial number.

9. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Miron, I think (maybe my recollection is wrong :cool: ) that it was always stated that the first generations of DVD32Rs had door problems [which were not that easy to cure as they had several causes] and that the very latest had a new and improved drive mechanism, now also accepting DVD-R for example. If I remember correctly, the very latest version was introduced 2002.

10. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Well i bit the bullet so to speak and purchased a DVD32FLR :D

Happy with it upto now could not take the chance with the DVD32R but hey if i could hide this from the wife my upstairs room could look quite good with a shiny new DVD32R :rotfl:

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Ok guys, I have to say something here before I bugger off on holiday.
    The DVD32R is a great CD possibly the best even, and still a very good DVD player, the only thing wrong with the whole design/build is the lid drive (ours has the later laser mechanism) it has had numerous updates to the drive asembly and it will never ever be perfect, it functions fine most of the time but to say it is perfect would have any decent mechanical engineer heading for the bottle. The thing is that the DVD32R is so good that I'll wager everyone who has one puts up with the less than perfect lid, such is the price of audio/video perfection. The DVD32FLR is second best, very close on video but the difference can be heard on decent CD music. I'll re-design the lid one day (been tempted to do it for years now) so it works silently and smoothly until then I'll just enjoy the music.

Bye for now.

12. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Graham:

I fully agree with you as I, like you, do put up with the lids flwas... the performance, once th elid is closed, is, as you note, top notch. Life goes on....

Have a great vacation...

Cheers,

Joel