• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tag DVD 32R DVI to HDMI problems

hifidelityman

Hi once again Taggies and happy new year to you all.
I have a Tag DVD 32R with the PSM192 module and would appreciate some help.
Up till yesterday, It was connected to a Panasonic 42" Plasma via the Component outputs of the PSM module.
Yesterday, I went barmy and bought a new 50" Panasonic Full HD (1928 by 1080) and connected it throught the PSM component to the Plasma Component outputs and it was great! Then being adventurous I purchased a DVI to HDMI lead and plugged the DVI end into the PSM192module and the HDMI end in to one of the HDMI terminals on the plasma (Components leads disconnected).
Horrible - the background that was black is now purple and all the colouring is completely haywire!!!!!
The legend on the plasma says it is on auto HDMI 576P output.
Have checked the DVD video output on the menu which is set on option 2 COMPONENT. There doesnt appear to be a DVI option at all?
Does anybody have any ideas please???????
By the way, love the DVD32R which is only a few years old - have already deserted it cd wise in favour of a DCS stack and am currently following the discussions on the relative merits of a Blu ray or HD player, but as I have over 300 DVD's already , anything I buy needs to at least play them better than the Tag.
regards
Tony:lease:

liam_b

If the BNC Component output is working properly it extremely likely that your plasma HDMI input is expecting component video levels and the PSM DVI is set to output RGB, to switch the output to component - remove any disk, close the door, and wait for the 'no disk' then press the number keys 2, 6, 6 on the remote (with it set to DVD!) - to select RGB press 7, 4, 2 instead.

hifidelityman

Hi and Thanks Liam,

I will try that this evening.

As you seem to be "in the know" which of the two outputs component or HDMI gives the best picture?

Happy new year to you
regards
Tony

hifidelityman

Hi Liam,

Tried the procedure you said and it made no difference at all!

REconnected the Component RCA leads to the BNC terminals of the PSM192 output and it was fine - Then as an experiment, with the Component lead still connected it used your procedure and put the PSM into RGB and it went exactly as I described for the HDMI link - Mauve background etc! Switched it back to component and it was fine!

MMMMMMM is it possible that the DVI output of the PSM192 module only outputs RGB? and if so using HDMI how do we overcome this.

Of course it is possible, but not likely that the lead is at fault.

Any ideas - if not perhaps UDO if he is reading this thread can shed some light?

If on the other hand the component BNC connection is considered the best anyway - then I will happily stick with it.

Regards
Tony
:confused:

liam_b

From the DVD32FLR user manual -

'When the optional Progressive Scan Module PSM192 is fitted it provides progressively scanned video outputs in digital form on the DVI connector and in analog form on the BNC component connectors. The analog progressively scanned outputs can be configured as component YPbPr or RGB format with sync on green.'

Looks like PSM DVI output is RGB only so you have to configure the plamsa's HDMI input to expect RGB, I know the Panasonic PF10 HDMI inputs can be set for RGB or Component so I'd expect all their plasma's to be similarly equipped.

hifidelityman

Hi Liam,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I was sitting there last night, before I received your reply, when I suddenly thought - Why not try to change the DVI output on the PSM module to RGB!!! Which I did and hey presto brilliant picture. I don't know why I didnt try it earlier, having already experimented with the Component output and seeing the picture go purple etc!!! My only excuse apart from my advancing years, is that I assumed the DVI connection would supply a digital signal not an RGB one.

The Plasma obviously wanted an RGB signal. I did before reaching the above solution search the Panasonic menu to see if it was possible to change the HDMI input on it but to no avail.

Anyway, it is working now and I am very grateful for your time and help.

Finally, one more question before I leave you in peace -Does my memory serve me correctly in remembering that an RGB connection is superior to a component one?

Regards
Tony

liam_b

It's been quite a while since I played around with a DVD32 with PSM, my DVD32 is sans PSM, I was working from memory and had to check the user manual which it turns out is not that clear about the DVI output.

RGB and component are equal so long as the conversion between them is done correctly, in the DVD32 it is :thumbsup:

hifidelityman

Hi Liam
Thank you very much for all your help - if I could remember half as much as you have without referring to the manuals I would indeed be very happy. As to the Tag Manual I agree wholeheartedly in respect of the paragraph for the DVI module.
regards and thanks again
Tony
:smashin:

GrahamMG

Component video out of the DVD32R always looked best to me but that of course depends on the analogue input stage of the display....Most of those these days are rubbish as HDMI is so much easier to do for the manufacturer.......... Analogue circuits needed someone with a brain to design....

hifidelityman

Hi Graham

Thank you for your post.

Have now tried both the component and the DVI output.

These were linked respectively by a Supra component cable and a Chord HDMI silver plus cable via a Van Den Hul converter to :- A Panasonic TH50PZ70.

I honestly could tell little or no difference so opted for the DVI/HDMI connection.

Thank you once again
Regards
Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom