Tag dvd 32 vs other "Audiophile" players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by richard@@, Jun 10, 2001.

1. richard@@

richard@@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone here & at the Tag website agrees that the £4000 TAG dvd32r is a stunning player.

I do understand it is audiophile, THX ultra approved, upgradable & represents good value when compared with more expensive players.

How does it compare with the new Arcam FMJ DVD player (£1500) or ONKYO's new THX Ultra spec'd player (£1800)?

What specific points make it worth 2k more than other upgradeable, THX ultra spec'd or "audiophile" products at this lower price point ?

And are these points noticeable outside the perfect demo room ?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    OK, from what I can gather the Integra is a souped up Toshiba. It was good with interlaced output but we had difficulties using the prog scan output when we had it. I only got it for about an hour or so so it was very hard to get to the bottom of what was happening.

While over in Canada I found that they love Integra over there. That's probably due to the fact you can change the £ price in to $ so it's significantly cheaper in the US. It was well made though and certainly looked the part.

TAG and FMJ: Well I must say that so far I have only done a very brief comparison of the interlaced comonent outputs. They were, indistinguishable. Use do a dem of interlaced from TAG v Prog from FMJ in to an LCD like the Sony and the FMJ is obviously supperior.

Now for audio playback you need to understand the DVD32r is a transport and can't function with out the AV32r if you want the best it can do. Here's a small example of what's what audio wise. Yesterday and the day before I'd been spending ages calibrating a dem VPL10HT. I'd been using the progressive out of the FMJ with audio fed through our dem TAG/Snell av system. Once it was all done I put on some films to confirm the picture improvement. Picture looked great but I called in one of the other guys to complain ab out how he'd set up the system as dialogue was harder to make out than usual and the "holographic" feel we usually get had sort of gone. Well, he tutted and said it was fine it was just because it was a non syn'd source going to the AV32r.

Well, we put the films back in the DVD32r and re-played them. WOW.....that's why a DVD32r is worth the money. I'm sure that if I spent longer comparing the FMJ and DVD32r video outputs I'd find differences but when partnered with the AV32r we/I have never heard DVD's sound as good with CD's coming up very close behind.

TAG are working on their 192r updates for both models and these will incorporate de-interlacing and scaling which I'd expec will be superior to FMJ. So, if al out video and audio is your goal I'd suggest a TAG with off board video processor like Vigatec or Rock. If you want to get the next best or have an LCD projector then FMJ all the way.

Hope this is some use. Remember though that I'm a dealer for these products. You must view for yourself. I would, of course, be happy to show you these things in the shop.

All the best,

Gordon

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Gordon is probably the best guy to speak to on this one. I know they are agents for Arcam, Tag and I know they had an early view of the Integra. I can only comment on the Tag.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me stick in my 2p here in favour of Meridian (since it tends to get ignored here). I demo'd the new 596 against the dvd32r and ended up going with the 596. For one thing its a lot cheaper (£2350 vs £4000)! From a video and audio perspective both are fine players; both are s/w upgradeable; can be made region free etc. - at the end of the day it really depends what you are pairing them with. I already had other Meridian kit which tipped my descision in Meridian's favour. If I'd had the Tag processor I would probably have gone the other way.

Dont be fooled by the look of the Meridian - the dvd rom tray looks flimsy - but the player does the job its supposed to without fuss and with amazing results

5. richard@@

richard@@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon

I do have an av32 & it already sounds fantastic.

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but you appear to be saying that :
    "the real thing that sets the dvd32r apart from other high end DVD players connected to the av32, is the clock sync facility"
    & that without that connected as well,then you wont the 'WOW' factor above and beyond other high end players that dvd32r enthusiasts rave about ?

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The video qualitty of the outputs is superior to all DVD players I've seen except the Arcam FMJ.

Without the sync-linc the audio will probably be slightly better than most high quality DVD's like the DV88 and much better than a denon or such like. With the sync-linc fitted the audio is exceptional.

Hope this clears it up.

Gordon