1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAG DAC20 performance ???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gnome, May 26, 2003.

1. gnome

gnome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon DVD2800mk2 transport - TAG DAC20 - Denon AVC A10se,
    Comments welcomed ????
    Also what effect will the DAC have if I use 'Denon 5CH stereo'.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    If you use 5-channel stereo ... the higher quality stereo output of the DAC will be lost as the first thing the A10SE will have to do is convert the analogue signal back to digital. Best to just use digital interconnet if you are using any DSP mode for music and use an analogue interconnect with good CD player or DAC if you listen in 2-ch with a "direct" signal path - all IMO of course.

Vikki

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tag DAC20... it's one excellent bit of kit. I picked one up for £350 - new from Tag... :)

IMO it will blow the Denon DAC's out of the water...but since AV amps don't sound great compared to a integrated stereo amp there might be no difference. What speakers do you have?

I would say buy the Tag DAC20 and a decent stereo integrated amp at the same time, if you have the money.

4. gnome

gnome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AVC10 has allways been considered to be an excellent stereo performer in direct mode, therefor I would expect a considerable jump in quality with the DAC20 ???

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Yes ... you will (should) see a increase in quality with the DAC20 when used in direct mode ... weather you consider it a considerable increase is down to your expectations and no one can really answer what you count as considerable.

You will see less increase, maybe even a decrease in quality is you use 5channel or other DSP mode.