Tag Dac 20 with a Arcam DV88

Matt Horne

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After a huge home cinema binge.. have been thinking about getting back into a good quality stereo system.. There has been some great music out recently which needs to be listened to :)

So..currently I use a Arcam DV88 feeding a Yamaha AV Amp. This would be a multistage upgrade which eventually may end up being a complete stand alone system..

Now either I could buy a decent Stereo Amp and feed the DV88 into it for now... or get an external DAC to improve the DV88 sounds (even though for the time being it would have to go through the Yam AV Amp).

So the couple of questions I have are :
1. Would the Tag DAC improve over the DV88 internal ones ?

2. If I were to later on buy a seperate CDP what would be a good match to take advantage of the DAC (and hopefully save some pennies over a high end player

3. Lastly what amps are recommended for a listen in the £500 range

Thanks

Matt

Will the DAC 20 improve CD playback from a DV88 : I think so yes no question IMO.

Should you feed the AV88 into a stereo amp to get the best of your music replay yes that would work as well.

But the DAC 20s are not going to be around forever at their current price (£450 Tag Direct), so my vibes would be to get one on board ASAP, then get a stereo amp in future, FWIW your current bottleneck would appear to be the Yammie in stereo mode, the 88 is highly regarded for CD playback. It seems to me that you are in mid change Matt but I would urge you to get a DAC 20 first, this as the base for your future system as the source first, then add a fine CDP/DVDP in the £300-500 range as a transport, I would urge you to look at Amp slightly higher up the Chain, one that would be on my audition list would be the Unison Reaserch Unico Amp @ £750, but below that there are fine £500ers I the amp sector : Cyrus 3, Rotel 1050, Arcam 75 etc.

HTHs dude

Thanks for the info...

Where can I get the Tag from... I could not see anylink to buying it on the Tag website?? is there another seperate website ???

Thanks again

matt

Originally posted by Matt Horne
Thanks for the info...

Where can I get the Tag from... I could not see anylink to buying it on the Tag website?? is there another seperate website ???

Thanks again

matt

http://www.tagmclaren.com/great/new/classifieds/exdemo.asp

http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=53 : Which includes the following details : Tag MaClaren UK are offering refurbished (They are in fact End of line) DAC 20s direct from the factory at a knockdown price of Edit £449 (+ £15 PP) You also get a 2 year return to factory warranty new RRP £1249 If your interested give the helpdesk a call on 0800 7838007 and ask for sales.

HTHs

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom