Tag Bass Management

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by warrj, Nov 14, 2002.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm interested in the bass management capabilities of Tag's AV30R/AV32R. I've looked at the manuals on Tag's site and they don't seem to be very informative. Does anyone know what range of crossover between sub + mains can be set and in what increments?

Reason I ask is that my sub (Sonus Faber Gravis) won't go above 65Hz and each position on the dial seems to be on odd increments (i.e. next one down is 58Hz)

Thanks,

Jules.

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The AV32R offers three crossover options - 50Hz, 80Hz or 120Hz. Whichever you select will apply to all speakers set to "bass limited" i.e. you can't set 50Hz for the mains and 80Hz for the centre/surrounds.

So it sounds as though you could only use the 50Hz setting due to your sub only going up to 65Hz (which is unusual).

If your centre/surrounds can't go down to 50Hz but your mains can then you could always set you mains to large, connect the sub at speaker level and tell the Tag that you don't have a sub. You could then crossover the centre/surrounds at 80Hz with all bass below this being redirected to the fronts - the sub would then handle the bass below where the fronts tail off via the high level connection.

Matt.

p.s. by the way, if you were using a 50Hz crossover on the Tag then you would set your subs crossover to maximum as the Tag would be taking control of the bass management so you wouldn't need a second filter in place on the sub.

3. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Matt

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree with Matt, if the sub is really limited to a max of 65Hz (very odd indeed) you should use the high level (speaker level) connections and wire the fronts from the sub, as else you will loose out on the frequencies of the LFE between 65 and 120 Hz.
    Set the subwoofer to NO and the mains to LARGE as described.

5. whoami

whoami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules,

how do you find the Gravis sub in general terms?

Are you pleased with its performance?

6. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whoami - In short excellent for music (very subtle, integrates well), good for HT. All in all it seems very hi-fi. If it's there you'll hear it otherwise you won't. If you're after a monster AV sub then you'll probably be disappointed. If you're after a sub for hi-fi which also does HT then it may be the sub for you.

Regards,

Jules.