Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Tag Av32r versus Meridian 561 and advice

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by pidge22, Sep 22, 2004.

1. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi,
    I have just purchased a 2 year old Dvd32r to replace my Arcam Dv89 and am absolutely delighted with it,the rest of my kit is Meridian 561,Parasound 2205a,B&W Nautilus 804's,805,s and Htm1 centre.
    My question is that should I consider changing the procesor to the Av32r does anyone know how it compare to the 561 are their any significant gains to be made (Cd playback is important to me).
    The model number is Av32r 192 Bp Av what does the Bp Av mean?
    What upgrades and licences should I be looking for,I don't intend having 7.1 or analogue bypass.
    Any advice would be appreciated

2. WillyP

WillyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

A few years ago I have compared the AV32R (without by-pass and 192 kHz DAC's) and the Meridian 568. As far as sound quality concerned I thought both were very, very good and I would say that it is a matter of personal taste which one you like most.

There is a big advantage though when you combine the DVD32R with the AV32R: Sync Link. I am not very good in describing the technical details, but because of this cooperation between the two there will be much less jitter and so a better sound quality for the price of one analogue interlink (which you probably already have if you bought three pairs).

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    BP stands for Bypass..(i.e the analogue bypass)

Also check out the processor section as smurfin did a comparison between the av32r (96 dacs) and the meridian 561

Cheers

Matt

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I recently got my hands on a mint DVD32R and all I can say is when sync linked to the AV32R the sound is amazing. Its just so controlled and detailed. If you can try and get your hands on the AV32R dual processor rather than the older single processor model. This is because it has TagMclaren room equalisation (TMREQ) which will allow you to eliminate nearly all the resonance and peaks in your systems frequency response. This gives it a massive advantage over the Meridian :thumbsup: