1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag AV32R... upgrade or not upgrade, that's the point

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by xpMile, Aug 28, 2005.

1. xpMile

xpMile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I own an AV32R processor of the first generation that I only upgraded to get DPL II. I’m wondering whether other upgrades like 7.1 and 192kDAC are still worth considering... :( . There are so many brands on the market which might offer more. Thanks for you help.
    Best regards

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Like you,I had a pretty standard AV32R,and was fortunate enough to take advantage of all the recent stock clearances.

Of the possible upgrades you mention,I'd say the 192kHz DAC upgrade would be the most effective,although if you can find a DP anywhere,the quality difference(even leaving TMREQ aside) is immediately obvious.

Yes,there are other processors,and Meridian springs to mind there,but the TAG is still a very capable machine,which many others are even now only beginning to equal.

You may find it useful to ask in the TAG forum here as well,and I'll move your post there if you wish.

3. xpMile

xpMile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Alexs2,
    Thanks for your comment and for moving my post... I'm rather new on this forum... well, this is my second post... and I didn't know there was a "Tag forum" :thumbsup:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Moved as requested!....welcome also,and hope you will find plenty of decent advice here,plus a lot of the old TAG crowd.

5. xpMile

xpMile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I've forgotten to precise that I sent an email to the helpdesk of TAG/AIG a few days ago to get prices of such upgrades. I got back an email emphasizing the benefit of those ;) and the cost :confused: ...

7.1 EX back channel upgrade:- 595.00GBP
    Upgrade surcharge (unit over 18 months old):- 199.00GBP
    Total (excluding shipping charges) = 794.00GBP
    + The 192K DAC upgrade will cost you 395.00GBP

What do you think ?
    Thanks for any comment.

PS: English is not my mother tongue and I would be delighted to improve my writing. Although I realise we are not in an english course, I would be very very happy to be corrected :lesson: . Many thanks in advance. Best regards.

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Xp

What you have to weigh up is what the upgrade will cost you against the cost of replacing the AV32R and getting the same performance.

What other equipment do you have?

7. xpMile

xpMile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kenny,
    That is exactly what I would like to evaluate :)
    So far, I have a quite disparate material ! I've connected the AV32R to my first Denon AVR3300 which is still used as amplifier. I own BW loudspeakers (the one called P6, quite old but I love them), and last (but not least) the source is also the old sony7700 machine (but I love it too).

the projector is a sony 10HT (I can't afford... well I don't know the english word for that... the DLP's dissociation of the light : rainbow effect ??).
    Thanks

8. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Xp

If the AV32 is the only bit of TAG you have there is no issue with the sync to DVD, Power Amps etc.

If you only have a 5.1 set up and don't require the triggers then don't bother. The 192bp upgrade is excellent and well worth it, as is the DP upgrade to an even greater extent. PLII is great with non DD/DTS sources and well worth the licence fee.

If you want similar performance to a an AV32bp192 you should be looking at the Meridian or Naim processors or even Arcam or Lexicon. Whichever you look at it's going to cost you £2k at least.

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    A DP was going for around £2k wasn't it? That is the bargain of the century...... Kenny does have a point though in that the rest of your kit is somewhat below what the AV32R is capable of. Consider where you would like to end up and the upgraded process might become a lot more obvious (always expensive though.......)... I'd still say that a AV32R/192DAC is a better unit than any Arcam processor I've heard. Amplification and speakers will make a huge difference to your current kit though as will a good DVD/CD transport (maybe a TAG DVD32FLR if you can still grab one!)

10. xpMile

xpMile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice :thumbsup: ,
    Indeed, I would like to improve the different part of my HC. I though that the easiest was to upgrade the processor first ! don't have to go around and to test stuff.

However, I'm afraid I'm going to give up cause I've asked for how long the guaranty is... and that's only 3 months, too risky, I expected at least a year.

What would advice me as loudspeakers (preferably bookshelves) ? :lease: BW70x, Quad12L, ?????

Thanks

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    What sort of budget did you have in mind for speakers,as there is a huge range out there,to suit all pockets.

12. xpMile

xpMile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know precisely... my budget is not unlimited but a bit flexible...as long as it's a real bargain :D :D

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    LOL...I know what you mean...thats why I bought the DP.

Bookshelf speakers....did you mean true bookshelf types,or small standmounted speakers,as the latter can be superb,and you'd already mentioned the B&W 705.

To that you could add the 805 if you wanted a step up in performance and quality,and things like the WilsonBensech Arc.

There should be a few KEFs to choose from as well,and Spendor,Acoustic Energy etc etc.
    The Quads are OK,well made and beautiful looking,but I didnt like them much...just an opinion,and you would need to make a list,and listen to as many as possible in your own home.

When I bought a smaller set of speakers,I eventually settled on the B&W 805 but perhaps a word of caution with the 800 series B&Ws and to a lesser extent the 700s....a good,powerful,and load tolerant amp is required,otherwise you just won't get the best out of them,and that may in turn lead to an amp/receiver upgrade for you.

14. xpMile

xpMile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    listening in my own home... huuuu :D ! what a excellent idea but i'm afraid you ask toooo much to hifi sellers here in my poor country... just sign the bill ! that's what they ask for !
    I always finish to get on their nerves :D because I never agree on retail prices anyway... I know i like BW's sound and I might know where to listen to them, pity there's no way to order on the net those superb speakers. I was wondering for others and reviews are quite good for Quad.
    i know the second step would be the amplifier :rolleyes: whoo, what a desert travel (can i say that in english, traversée du désert :) ) thanks for your help alex

15. xpMile

xpMile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Alexs2, could you please give me more details about your negative feeling ? Thanks

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nothing terrible,simply that to do justice to an AV32R I think takes a little more than the Quads...very nice,but just a bit lifeless to my ears.

I think that by concentrating on getting the amp and speakers right,you'll probably find a good bit more to come from your AV32R

17. xpMile

xpMile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    such as BW805 ;) :smashin:

18. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The 805s were just my own choice,and happened to work very nicely with the Krell power amps I already had,so whilst they suit me,they may not suit others,hence my recommending others like the WilsonBensech Arcs,which are beautiful to look at as well as good sounding...and there are lots of others.

The other proviso I made was that for some of those,esp the B&Ws,you do need a powerful and load tolerant amp.

You may notice my other speakers are original QUAD ESLs,with 300B triode amps,which are pretty good at showing up source shortcomings,and they do work well with an AV32R,although a decent tubed preamp is next.