1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag AV32R or Pioneer AX10

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by AshF, Mar 27, 2002.

1. AshF

AshF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I wonder if anyone can give me some advise on this.
    I currently have a Yamaha 800RDS and want to upgrade it. Which set up would give me better sound and long term benefit, AV32R + 800RDS or just the AX10?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Hi

Long term you´d be better off going for the Tag.

Pioneer amps tend to take a serious nosedive in prices 2nd hand. The Tag is upgradeable and keeps its price well.

To be honest you really need a decent power amp as well. Might be worth you getting a power amp to use with your Yamaha and then pick up the Tag at a later date. Your more likely to notice a difference with the amplification IMO.

I´m sure others will add more Pros & Cons for each side.

Cheers

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am with Jase, thats what I did too, long ago, about 6 months ;)

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer AX10 is probably the best disc spinner I've seen and heard. Its awsome.
    However, I have to agree with Antonio and Jase, the upgradable route of TAG offers the best road.

Eric

5. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Get the Tag as you won't regret it :)

6. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go for the TAG, you'll be glad you did! :D

7. AshF

AshF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so the Tag it is then. But, the amp or the processor? You see, if I just get the amp, I've got nothing to play with until I'm allowed to spend any more money.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Go with the AV32R, check out the Tag and Bryston amps and see which you prefer. I like the Tag, AV Geeza is a Bryston fan. Both are great. Youre choice.

I like the Pioneer and think it might be the best receiver to date but the advice of go for the Tag given here is correct IMO.

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Bryston for the front channels and Rotel for center and surround...

Rotel is a good entry option, until you can afford Bryston or TAG for the front channels...

10. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    re: power amps. I'd have to say it depends what speakers you are running. I had a Tag and my MC-1 set up with my Rotel 985II and the Bryston 9B THX. I had a blind test with a few friends round. 4/5 picked the MC-1 over the tag. But none could spot any difference in the amps. I even ran a 2 channel mode test with one channel via Rotal one channel via Bryston. The speakers I used were MK S125. I could not jusify spending £2,500 for such a small difference. Sure the bryston was cleaner but you had to listen for it. In Everyday use I doubt you would notice. As normal your are spending the money so use your ears.

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Pioneer is also upgradeable. It is only going to be sold in limted numbers also, so you won't find it easily down Tottenham Court Road. That'll help keep prices stable.Lobger term I'd go with an Arcam fMj AV8.

12. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Don`t run into this, I almost did the same. Keep an eye on the new Arcam AV8 processor due this month..... Does just about the Tag does, but more inputs (tag is very limited currently, unless you upgrade it to prog, etc).

13. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say I disagree with this, the TAG is the best to go for, for future proofing. TAG are very committed to customer services and this can be seen by visiting the forum on their web site, the CEO often replies to people questions in person - www.tagmclaren.com. You need to go into the VIP section and sign-up as a guest to get access, it makes good reading.

I have TAG equipment and the service is always stunning as is the products, very well built.

14. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The new ARcam fMj Cinema gear is due out in May, probably towards the end of the month.

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Arcam here is an unknown quantity here originally mentioned by a dealer who doesn't do Tag. Lexicon has learned the hard way. It is 18 months since I went to see the MC12, 18 months ago it was pulled from the demo at the last minute because of 'software' issues. Seeing it agian recently It is a great processor (£9k) but the software is still not there yet, it needs much more work. Tag and Lex are 'experts' in this field. Arcam, no matter how high I rate them, are an unknown quantity at this stage. They may well have a steep learning curve. Time will tell. It is always risky recommending a product before it is available.

Tag are there NOW, (and so are Pioneer).

16. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Well I would certainly agree with you Nic that software on any and all of these processors is the major issue :-(

We have always said end of May or during June for the first commercial units of the Arcam AV8 and that still holds true, though of course with projects of this magnitude it may slip. It will most probably be software that is the rate limiter; however on the AV8 the system software is all in flash memeory and is easily upgradeable via an RS232 port (no expensive add on cables required). We may well make revisions of the code available either on our website or via a CD to load in to the processor, obviously all via a computer.

We well understand the customer support issues involved here (they are pretty terryifying!) and don't intend to get outgunned by other companies. The lead engineer in this project has been heavily involved in processor design for two other UK companies, which gives us a considerable degree of confidence in the basic design and architecture, and I have been taking part in customer support in one guise or another for more than 25 years for Arcam, since founding the company.

John Dawson (Arcam)

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    John

Good luck with the development. :) I certainly welcome some competition to the Tag and can't think of another company I would rather challenge Tag in the area of the market than Arcam, however I do think you are going to have some VERY busy months. Distribute the updates by the web site rather than CD, better IMHO.

And get yourself a good Beta team, you will need it!

18. AshF

AshF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I've gone and bought a AV32R and 5x100R today, 2nd hand but in perfect condition. Thanks again, Ash.

19. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Where are there 2nd hand Tag's, don't seem to find any anywhere :(

20. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, in other words You hired your "lead engineer" away from TAG and let him try make better processor then he used to develope before (started with updates without expensive add-on cables). Hmm, seems like it could be worth a try!

I also want to share the claim that Rhodes had - You should do updates over the web site in any case. This update path like on your DVD players is not the fastest way to do (might be the safe way but I do not like it).

Cheers

21. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Try the second hand section on the Tag web site - www.tagmclarenaudio.com

I got my DVD32R from there :)

22. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi alanrob
    if not secret, how much was DVD32r as second hand
    Cheers

23. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  24. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Cost me £2700. It was only five months old, in silver (super sexy ;) ) and in great nick. It is quite rare to see a Dvd32r up for sale (think I've only seen three on the Tag site!) as the only reason to sell it is if money is required for other things around the house (as was the case with the guy I bought from).

Good luck in your hunt and remember and start saving those pennies.

25. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Man you've got luck!
    I am after a black one for (or even under) 3k in your british terms, but never saw black DVD32R for that money.
    I found one Proceed for less than 4k and almost bought it, but since it is white and no match for my AV32R my wife has won this time.
    So the quest goes on!

And of course it has to have the original box because of sensitive transport issues . ..

Cheers

26. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Never buy a DVD32R without all it's transport boxing as it's very important to ensure it's packaged correctly for transit.

Another thing you can do if and when you get a player is to get the seller to send it to Tag (if it's still under guarantee) and they will do a full check on it and then send it on to you.
    Nothing like world class customer service :)

27. jcpcarey

jcpcarey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the subject of the Pioneer VSA ax10, I've just seen one in my local dealer here in Tokyo for 900 quid (used and in perfect condition), the alternative to this was going to be the Arcam AVR 250. What do you reckon ? A steal ?

28. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Congratulations on digging up a 3 yr old thread!....you'd probably have done better to create a new one for your question,and maybe get more replies.

In answer though,a lot will depend on the age,condition,packing,and local market prices for used gear of the same type,and also if this is the most current model or not.

Thus,it could be a very good price,or something quite average for an older model.

29. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    although to be fair it does prove the search button does actually answer almost any question you can throw at it. If only others knew :D (read the whole thread before realising how old it was)