1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAG AV32R and all its options - help!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mattmarsden, May 14, 2003.

1. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I am looking at buying a TAG AV32R.

The options on it I would like are DTS-ES discrete and 5.1 channel bypass.

If I buy a basic one without these options how much does it cost to upgrade?

Does the Dual Shark whatever improve sound quality greatly? Or is it just for the equalisation?

Is it possible to get an AV32R with balanced outputs?

Can someone take me through all the upgrading options from a basic unit?

Thanks very much,

Matt

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,473
    just talk to your local TAG dealer.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or phone Tag, freephone no.

The AV32 won't have XLR connections- too small. Do you need them?

Have you heard the Tag going in YOUR system? Don't spend close to £1300-£4000 without even be allowed to borrow one for a week, and maybe compare against the Lexicon MC-5.

4. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks guys.

But does the dual processor version sound any better?

5. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Have a look at my third post in this thread for a run down of the different AV32R models and options.

You'll need a 7.1 model if you want DTS-ES and even then it's an option.

There are a few DS owners on the forum. I've not heard it yet so ask them.

No balanced outputs this side of an AV192R.

I'd recommend contacting Tag for costs. There are some wizards on the web site but they are poor. Options cost different amounts if installed together.

D.

6. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi Matt,

The Dual Sharc is quite a bit better - definitely should more lively than the older model. But with som much reserve AD processing capability, this probably shouldn;'t come as a surprise.

The good bit is the fact that you can run TMREQ, the equalisation software to remove room booms and other imperfections that, frankly, you probably didn't know you had until you hear them removed. I'm only selling mine becuase I've just bought a 192.
    Soundwise, its the same animal, lots of useful features, but I now want teh video processing capability, so...

7. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you're buying new then it's a lot simpler, the only models available as standard are:
    AV32R-EX bp192 - this is 7.1 (EX and ES), has the 5.1 bypass, 192kHz DACs and Pro Logic 2 as standard. HDCD, DTS:NEO and DTS-ES discrete may come as standard, I can't recall.

AV32R-DP - this is the dual SHARC version, it has all of the above plus THX Ultra 2, DTS-ES Discrete, DTS:NEO6 and HDCD as standard. Also allows for more flexable bass management options, room EQ, Dolby Headphone (optional), Zone 2 support etc...

AV192R - has all the DP offers, plus allows additional hardware upgrades like balanced outputs, more advanced video switching, FM tuner, video scaler, RS232 control board and others.

(That's all from memory so I'd call/email Tag to verify)

All three can take an internal DAB tuner and an RF digital input for Laserdisc. The single processor won't have any more major software updates since the older SHARC processor is no longer supported by the manufacturers.

If you're buying secondhand then most options are listed in the configuration section of the menus, the only one that isn't is the 192kHz DAC upgrade. If you have the serial number then you can call Tag to find out the history of the unit and what upgrades it may have had. Any processor can be upgraded to a later spec, but the price may vary depending on things like how old the unit is.

The dual SHARC does sound better than the standard AV32R, not just because of TMREQ, but also due to the better processing allowed by the extra power. My own AV32R is a bit of an oddity since it was upgraded to dual SHARCs and 192kHz DACs, but it remains 5.1 with no bypass.

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The dual-processor Tag sounds remarkably much better than the single-processor version. I was really quite surprised at the difference.