1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag AV32 With Dolby Headphone answers

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Blaze01, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaze01

Blaze01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All

I did post this under the normal heading but have had no response and I wanted to be sure that it had been seen

I see that you are all confused and having fun discussing the amp that I have been trying to sell. As I have told most of you via E-Bay and on here I do not know anything about the Tag kit or Audio. I have a system it works I like the sound of it and someone else put it in for me.

I can tell you how I got the amp as you all seem interetsed. I work for a High end av kit manufaturer (Not Audio) and one of my customers has installed my system for me. I obviously know other manufatures and a sales guy at TAG gave me the AV32R at the Cedia show in 2003 that you guys have seen on EBAY before TAG closed. The head phone socket was added by TAG at manufactur I can gauntee this 100% The unit has never been used as the dealer used another make of kit in my system. I would never mess around with any kit let alone TAG!! and add my own upgrades. I did'nt know that they did'nt come with these sockets on when he gave it me.

I do not know anything about the amp specification that is why I added the reviews from the Net but it looks like they were wrong so I have removed them from the add on ebay. You can choose to believe me or ignore them but at least this might in-lighten you.

I will more than likley take the unit off ebay as it seems that it is too much hassel to sell. I just thouhgt that it was a nice amp and that it might be worth someone using it rather than it sitting in my loft.

If you have any sensible questions about it then PM me.
    Best of luck

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Blaze01.

A few words that might help you in future.

Don't say you work for a "high end AV kit manufacturer (not audio)", I'd suggest you look up what AV stands for..... People will expect a level of technical knowledge that it isn't obvious you have....

If the headphone socket was added by TAG ("at manufacture"), it was obviously by someone in their spare time or just as a development test and no matter how well implimented it is a "bodge" and as such will put most people off buying it, Udo would never have allowed this to be sold openly looking the way it does......

I'd suggest that you find out exactly what you have and how the mod was implimented by contacting the original owner or quoting the serial number to the IAG helpdesk guys, then and only then, write an accurate description of the unit if you wish to sell it, I doubt anyone will be very interested in your unit unless you do this...... :lesson:

Of course you might work in finance for your "high end AV manufacturer" which would explain much :rotfl:

3. Blaze01

Blaze01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham,

At least you have offered some advice, Even if I don't see what you mean in the first sentence.

But how do I contact the IAG?

Cheers I guess.

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Some days I struggle to be amusing, other days it just comes naturally...... :devil:

I was just commenting on an AudioVisual (AV) manufacturer that doesn't apparently do Audio.......

Helpdesk can be found at tmahelpdesk@internationalaudiogroup.com and the TAG web site you have already found I assume as you lifted the DP text from it........

5. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, whilst I was in charge of TAG McLaren Audio, we never conducted any customer upgrades which were not in accordance with TMA's strict quality principles, i.e. carefully designed, extensively evaluated and then safety tested/approved. As a result we never added any features which were not production released.

The only sold expection I can ever remember -and that is to be completely accurate- were 2 x 125M amplifiers which received the speaker terminals of the 100x5R. However, this modification was a solidly tested change which simply didn't make it into production. TAG McLaren Audio sold these 2 amplifiers, used by design for evaluationg the parts, as ex-marketing samples about 18months ago.

There was also an AV32R, used by design, to allow testing of Dolby Headphone, well in advance of the real thing. This unit couldn't do anything else than Dolby headphone and was (during my time) never sold.

What's the serial number of this AV32R in question? It would be interesting to trace its history as TAG McLaren Audio used to have records of any change ever made to an unit.

P.S.: I do know about TAG McLaren Audio, since sold to IAG, but I would seriously doubt that IAG would undertake such unapproved modification.

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Udo.
    Exactly :smashin:

I have to ask though, the AV32 you mention, when you say it only did Dolby headphone are you saying it wasn't much use as a normal AV32r? I sincerely hope that chap hasn't got that one then...... Do I assume that Dolby headphone is a DP thing only as I can't remember it being an option on the SP?

7. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Hi Udo if its the same unit that was mentioned on these forums at the beginning of november then the details are as follows:

I offered to help and was given this reply:

I have checked the unit and there is a silver sticker with AVP-HDCD01.

There is also a silver sticker on the box both ends which reads the following.

Model: F3 281
    Voltage: 115 volts
    Lot No: 271
    Serial No: AVP-HDCD01
    Colour: Black
    Weight: 10.5Kg

Regards Adrian

Ps Udo are u enjoying the easy life now :thumbsup:

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Not a fat lot of use to anyone in the 220/240v world then....... That serial number is also not production as we all know.....

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Blaze....I've been reading through this and your previous thread,and whilst it's clear you seem to have had no idea of your AV32R's past history,if it were to appear on here in the Classifieds section,you would have to make all of this very clear,incl the 115V rating(is it being run off a tranformer currently?),and obviously all of these things will be very likely to reduce it's current market value.

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Alex.
    Time to close this one methinks :lease: The helpdesk can tell him the good or bad news......

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I would have to agree....I think the horse has been flogged enough....if there are no further useful comments....

12. crestron boy

crestron boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I've seen this unit. It came in to my ex company for a control module to be written as no one could seem to get a working module because of the tagtronic bus is very complex and has a similar principle to ethernet collison damage avoidance. The unit does power up on uk voltage and i think one of my collegues actually had it running a artcoustic cinema with a audiolab amp. It was returned post cedia and i'm probably guessing that a ex tag employee sold it off when IAG where buying them there sales guys did seem a bit iffy to me when one of them came to see us at my present dealer he tried to sell us some other equipment he was trying to hawk to enrich himself

13. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks, this unit is definitely a unit used by TAG McLaren Audio's design, and I can remember that it was given to your company to assist in developping the TAGtronic Bus interface - thanks for that in retrospect.

I has hence, as you say, gone 'adrift'. I am doubtful that this unit left properly TAG McLaren Audio - only IAG could verifiy this or not. The unit is definitely not in a condition to be used by non-engineers.

It would be interesting, to know who sold it to the poor customer in the first place - and that means a NAME. This uit should rather be thrown away then used - it was never (at least during my time) released for sale- not even as ex-design unit.

14. TaxHamster

TaxHamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The headphone socket was added for testing Dolby Headphone software, and is wired directly into the L/R outputs (obviously a "bodge" job Graham! :D ), the unit was subsequently used for HDCD testing (hence the serial number).

The last I saw of this unit, it was 230V with single 21065 SHARC (rev0.3 silicon) & 96kHz DACs. For clarity, in that state it would *not* do Dolby Headphone processing.

15. crestron boy

crestron boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi Dr Zucker

I see your point about it not being used by anyone except engineers i was always impressed by TAGs strict quality control and read your articly in the BAJ and agreed with your comments on the conduct of other "high end" manufactorors. I do have one question though if we are putting the saga of the av32r to bed. On the TAGTRONIC bus how come you opted to rs485 (i think it was rs485 but please correct me if i'm wrong) and not a ethernet port which would of made it alot easier for control system manufactors and dealers to integrate with TAG.

16. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Well it has diasappeared from Ebay Now :confused:

Maybe someone used "Buy It Now (And Weep)" :rolleyes:

Lets hope not :lease:

Now that its true identity is a little clearer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.