1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag AV30R vs. AV32R(bp-192)

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by warrj, Oct 23, 2002.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm interested in the differences (if any) between the analogue stereo inputs on the AV30R and AV32R. The Tag web site states that the AV30R's stereo inputs can be set to bypass all the digital gubbins in direct mode. The AV32R section of the site makes no such claims for its stereo inputs (although the 5.1 inputs do offer a bypass).

Leaving everything else aside is this one area where the AV30R is superior to the AV32R?

Regards,

Jules.

2. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 5.1 inputs on the AV32R can be configured as 3 stereo bypass inputs if required. In practice the ADC of the processed stereo inputs on the AV32R is so good (96KHz, 20bit) that the advantages of bass management and time alignment outweigh any losses that may occur.

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Agreed!

Steve.

4. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that's just what I needed to know.

As an aside I'm not convinced that doing an unnecessary set of conversions could ever really be a benign thing. Especially so if the DAC is superior in the source (or even if you just prefer the source's DAC).

Regards,

JUles.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Don't worry about the AD conversion, it is a red herring. It works really well because it doesn't have to go through the SPDIF that the DVD / CD players do.

6. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beekeeper - Sorry mate, you've lost me. Could you explain your last post?

Jules.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Sorry for the confusion.

All normal inputs on the Tag are digitised at 20 bit / 96khz. This works really well. Internal AD conversion is generally much more sucessfull than the other way around as the other way goes through the dreaded SPDIF (not good).

5.1 input is not digitised but straight to power amp via volume control. The 5.1 input can be run as 3 x stereo input if you want and then these inputs will NOT be digitised. To be honest the difference is so small that there are many other things you should worry about first.

The Tag L and R DACs are about as good as you get without designing you own.
    :blush:

8. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beekeeper - Ah, now I see. So do you happen to know whether the stereo inputs on the AV30R offer a genuine bypass or are they the same as the stereo inputs on the AV32R (in terms of the digital processing involved)?

The reason I'm curious is that I currently have an Arcam FMJ CD23 cd player the sound of which I'm really happy with. I must admit I haven't even heard the AV32R yet but I'm pretty sceptical that a digitised stereo input would leave no sonic fingerprints.

Regards,

Jules.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My understanding is the 30 and the 32 operate in a very similar fashion. Normal stereo inputs on the 30 are digitsed, the 5.1 (or 3 x stereo) are not.

I went though this with a CD23 at the weekend. It was in a Denon 10 primarily however. The 23 was best in the 5.1 / 7.1 inputs where no digitisation was happening. This was the audiophile solution whist still using the 10. The Tag was altogether better quality and we were not happy we could spot any difference. The cable weren’t the same though ;)

If you are playing with Tag then I think it fair to assume that any difference are so small as not to worry at all except the nutter audiophile. As a nutter audiophile myself I am not concerned.

The difference between 20 bit / 96khz AD on the Tag and 16bit/44khz DAC on the 23 is substantial.

re the 23 I had great fun with it over the weekend, great player.

10. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, reading between the lines are you saying that I'd get better sound by putting my CD player thru the Tags stereo inputs (which are then digitised) than by feeding the digital output of the CD player thru the Tag?

Regards,

Jules.

11. pnm

pnm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure I entirely agree that there is no sonic fingerprint from the AD DA conversions. I've had an AV32r for a while and have just inserted an analogue preamp back into the system. This has produced noticably better results from analogue sources in my system.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am saying that the AD conversion is so damn good that it is very transparent. True given a HQ CD source I would feed it via the 5.1 inputs but that is just because I am like that. I too have done the comparisons with pre amps. The results are a mixed bunch and the differences are nearly always down to other electrical factors not the AD stage. All in all I generally give it to the Tag unless you are throwing silly money at your pre amp.