1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag AV192R

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by bamber, Jan 15, 2003.

1. bamber

bamber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to my dealer tomorrow to demo a Tag AV192R. Can anyone tell me how much discount they were able to get on this processor?

Gazza

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Tag Discount LOL

If you allready have an av32r you get the full purchase price back against an AV192R

Bry

3. bamber

bamber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a second system in the family room mainly used for DVD and sky etc. I am currently using a Denon AVC-A1D but fancy the new av192r. So it will be a straight purchase.

I have heard this so many times that such and such a brand don't discount. However I'm sure someone out there has obtained discount on Tag products.

4. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much is this bad boy? And does it sound better than the Av32R for straight DD/DTS 5.1?

5. bamber

bamber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    List price is £5994.95 for the base unit. I don't how much of an improvement it is over the AV32R as I haven't heard the av192r yet.

My brother got a demo on Monday but his interests were in its video capabilites.

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    From what I have read there is no difference in the sound quality between the 32 and 192. You would go for the 192 if you want to use the video facilities and upgrades. The sound engine is the same as the cheaper model. Thats what I gleaned from the tag forum anyway.

Darren

7. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    If you've only got the original AV32R (like me) then there will certainly be a significant difference in sound quality, by adding the 192 DACs, but if you've got a AV32Rbp192, then the difference is - from what I gather - much smaller.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Slight digression,but another way of getting more out of the Tag on digital stereo inputs(i.e. CD) is to use an upsampler/interpolator like the Perpetual Technologies P-1A or if you really have stacks of cash dCS's offering(which is better than the P1A but not £8k better) and upsample the CD stream to 24/96,and run the DACs at their native resolution.

Not quite as transparent as the P1A/P3A combination,but pretty close.

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    The AV192R can be fitted with balanced XLR outputs.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I got 15% :)

11. bamber

bamber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a Marantz CD17KI and Marantz PM17KI in this room for music. My front l/r speakers are powered by the Marantz PM17KI from L/R preouts on the Denon. I would like to replace these with possibly the Tag DVD192 when it is released and AV32Rb192 or AV192R and something like a Bryston 9B. I use a Pioneer 503MXE Plasma screen and an old Pioneer 737 DVD player (Progressive Scan in NTSC only).

I want better DD, DTS and to gain PL2. I would like music to be at least as good if not better than from the Marantz. And finally any gain in DVD picture would be a bonus.

I would be prepared to buy the progressive scan module if it results in a superior pictures from DVD and Sky.

So if you think that I get this from the cheaper av32rb192 please let me know.

Gazza

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Have a look at the Tag website,gazza(www.tagmclaren.com)and compare the AV192 and the AV32R/192bp.....you'll find the AV 32R has pretty much all of the features you want.

The sound steering and bass management work very well,and dont forget the upgrade scheme that Tag run.....also somewhat cheaper as an intro to TAG ownership.

13. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    BK

Yeah, but aint you well in with the TAG crew?

568.2 with digital MHR £4385.00

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there anybody there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spligsey

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    Adzman probably is. :)

Another good alternative to the Tag is the Arcam AV8. The Meridian 568.2mm is really not in the same price bracket - £4300 vs £3000. If you're going to go up that price level then Bryston's lovely SP1.7 (£4250) is a great choice. We don't yet know what the forthcoming Lexicon MC-8 will retail for, but it could also be an option. If you're seriously thinking about dropping £6K on a processor then that not only opens up the possiblity of a Tag AV192R, but also stuff from Krell, Proceed, and McIntosh, and the Meridian 861. You're even beginning to edge into Theta territory.