1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag and SACD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paiger, Aug 31, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A while back I read a piece by a guy from Tag explaining why they would not support SACD. Basically, they don't feel that iLink is good enough and want to go down the DVI route. They will shortly be supporting DVD-A with the 192 range.

What will happen if, in 2 years time, SACD is the dominant format? Will they continue to ignore it, or bite the bullet and put iLink on their gear. Also, will the DVD192 be upgraded to do SACD?

Any opinions or insights?

S

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    There's no reason (as far as I'm aware) why SACD couldn't be carried digitally down a DVI or HDMI link. I asked Udo himself about SACD about 18 months ago, and his reply was along the lines of "the DVD32R and AV32 (or 192)R could easily support it, if necessary, and if they see it really taking off, they will". Udo is of the current opinion though that CD still has a lot of life in it, and makes the (very valid) point that SACD makes a great big song and dance about the recording process being all 1 bit, but most of the recordings that are being promoted are re-releases of jazz classics, which won't have been through that recording process in the first place!!

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, that's interesting. I think it's a licensing problem with SACD regarding digital links so I hope they sort that. You're also right, most of the stuff out on SACD is 50 year old recordings that where naff in the first place. There are a few newer ones coming out though.

I see SACD taking off. I don't see it as a major jump from CD but it's definately superior, we just need the hardware to exploit it now.

S

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I have to correct you. He surely did not tell this as you wrote. Processor surely could, but DVD player certainly not. Not easily. Maybe on the high costs and that is unlikely to be. They will make a new player if it comes so far.
    Issue of digital transfer of SACD is still very open. SONY is working on transfer interface but they will need more time. You might find some articles and news on the web about it. It will not be HDMI for sure!
    DVD32R would need another drive to read SACD and that would be on the cost of its DVD performance, that's why not.

Cheers
    Plump