1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAG Amplification with B&W N802 / 802D.

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by rolski, Feb 28, 2005.

1. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Apologies for re-raising a subject that was discussed on the old TMA forum (it was a subject that I had little interest in at the time) :rolleyes: , but I'm considering exchanging my B&W N803 fronts for a pair of N802's, or even perhaps stretching to the new 802D's. :rolleyes:

With a 250x3R arriving soon to drive my mains & centre, will this be a good match ? :confused:

What are people's general experiences with the B&W 802's....? :smashin: :thumbsdow

2. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You're right thisis an old chestnut!!
    My original setup used the 100x5 amp and it was dreadful for the 802's.

A change to the 250 x 3 made a huge improvement which I have lived with for almost two years.

However about three weeks ago I got two Bryston 7BSST monoblocks and the difference was again incredibly noticeable.

My advice is that there is nothing wrong with the 250x3 and 802 setup - it's just that the extra power of the Bryston is so noticeable.

Caleb

3. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have the same setup, ie, N802 with 250x3 and the combination is awsome. Before had the 150x5 driving N803 and the 250x3 was a huge improvement. By the way when I bought my 250x3 I also tested a Bryston 7B, but not the new one SST, the "old" 7BST and I liked the 250 more. I think Dr. Zucker also has 250 driving Wilson Grand Slam.

4. romulus

romulus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 802 for some years now, they are incredible speakers only if you have the right amplifier, i feel that even tag 3x250 is quite flat compared to classé, levinson or bryston amps. I am currently driving 802 and htm1 with the classe cav-180. Compared to tag this is in my humble opionion a major improvement. Before buying a tag amp, listen to the brands i mentionned

5. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Evesdropping, but this is useful advice, as I'm hunting some floorstanders for the new house (2 Channel). I'll count B&Ws out (was considering 804's), still think of PMC OB1's and Living Voice Avatars - does anyone have any experience of either?

6. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mark,
    I have N803's powered by bridged channels of my 100x7R:10, and they really sing in my 3.5x5m room - it's just that I've got a seriously bad case of upgrade-itis at the moment, and I made the mistake of demo-ing the 802D's....
    I wouldn't dis-count B&W at all - IMHO coupled with TAG they make a seriously good match.

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Oh yes matey, the OB1's love big amps, the 250x3R is good but a Bryston 7BSST is perfect.....Of course 2x 250x3R would be very interesting..... I am a huge fan of OB1's, they perform well above their cost....

8. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What about using 4x125M's, as in my set-up; will they do OB1's justice? (and vice versa!)
    Your comments are greatly appreciated!

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi Mark.
    Of course they will work and the OB1's will be a certian leap up from your current speakers but these speakers are of very high quality and will respond well to better quality amps, basically if you push them along they will go there! A couple of 250x3R's or Bryston 6BSST's would be enough for any mortal but these speakers are so good you always wonder what if I pushed a bit further, a pair of 7BSST's (or whatever the new models are called) would probably be overkill and the speakers sound fabulous (after several hundred hours running they get even better) regardless but as I always say you must demo them with what you intend to use and make your own mind up, I do doubt however that the PMC speakers will be responsible for any negative comments of your setup..... ;)