Tag 60i used as Pre or as part of Bi Amp Set up?

gudge

Standard Member
Not sure if this is a stupid question but here goes...

Can i use a tag60i integrated amp as either a pre-amp or in a bi-amp set up with say a audiolab or tag etc power amp
without having to modify it?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 60i had to be modified internally to seperate the pre and power parts first. Hoping that this is not the case though.

Any help advice greatly accepted.

cheese68

Hi,

never owned one so can't say for sure, but looking at the instruction book (http://www.iaguk.co.uk/tag/60i_instructions.pdf) it shows a power amp output and a pre-amp input (much the same as an audiolab 8000S). If it is the same as the 8000S then you can use as a pre-amp, power amp, or pre-power combo with another power amp (and therefore allowing bi-amping). The reason I'm not certain is because the 8000S had a mode select on the front, but the 60i doesn't; however, the mode select isn't necessarily required anyway, since the connections themselves should allow you to do what you require without further modification.

The only exception is if for some reason the power amp is turned off when a pre-amp output it used (but this would seem rather pointless).

I'm sure someone will confirm this for you shortly though.

cheese68

Actually, read pages 23 and 24. You need to modify it to use the 'power amp in' function. As you won't be using this then no need to worry!
The pre-amp output works as suspected in the previous post, so can be used as pre-amp or pre/power.

gudge

Standard Member
Thanks for that, I think that is what I remember reading before, although ashamed to say obviously didnt read it properly.

Only thing now is to find a power amp .:lease:

Last edited:

cheese68

Tag stereo power amps don't come up all that often, and still go for a fair amount. The older audiolap 8000P can be found for sale quite a bit though.
All Tag and audiolab kit is gain matched so you can easily biamp with them. Just depends if you wanna hold out for a Tag to keep it matching visually. Put a 'wanted' ad up, you mind find someone prepared to part with one :)

gudge

Standard Member
Are the Tags much better the the older Audiolabs?

Think would prefer to try and get Tag to match what I have but have seen two Audiolab 8000P's, one old and one new style go on ebay just in the last couple days for just over £150 each.
Is the new Audiolab Kit any good or is it better to try and get the older stuff.

cheese68

I've never used a Tag stereo power amp, so I'll leave comments on quality up to others. I suspect there is little, if any, difference though.

No experience on the newer 'Audiolab' stuff either, but that 'Made in England' bit on the back would make all the difference to me :)

Having said that you can buy a brand new 8000p for £299, so you can't really argue for the money. £150 used is a bargain as well. You won't better that. A used Tag would be at least double that.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom