TAG & 5.1 inputs

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Matt F, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone out there know whether the TAG AV32R has 5.1 inputs yet. I have a feeling it is something they were going to develop but I don't know whether the upgrade is available yet.

Thanks.

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Why would you want 5.1 inputs on a good amp like the AV32R?
    It is a better decoder than any built in DVD player decoder so I can't see the logic in having these inputs.

If you need info on Tag gear then visit their own forum - www.tagmclarenaudio.com and post your question there. You might find that the CEO will answer your question.

3. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan is spot on. The DAC's on the TAG will far exceed anything onboard a DVD player (any player?!), so you would only ever want to connect them digitally, not taking the 5.1 analogue signal out of a DVD unit.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,064
    er.... dvd-audio or SACD???

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree with mjn, no other way around it. But doesn't Tag plan a major HW upgrade incl. 5.1 input? Something which involves recycling of the front panel etc. .. or was that an April fools joke?

6. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Both will be supported by the AV32R via software upgrades :)

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Honestly guys! Of course I'm talking about SACD and DVD-A. I'm well aware of how fantastic the DD/DTS/Prol Logic decoding of the AV32R is - that's why I bought it.

It's just that given that there is, as I understand it, no standard for digitally transferring DVD-A and SACD from player to processor at the moment, then 5.1 inputs seems the only way to go.

Just to set the record straight, I haven't presently got a DVD-A or SACD player and, to be honest, I'm not even convinced that:
    1. DVD-A and SACD will actually take off properly.
    2. Music benefits from being reproduced through 5 channels (I certainly haven't been impressed with DD/DTS multi channel music).

However, I haven't heard either DVD-A or SACD, the prices of the players are coming down and it's therefore quite tempting when I upgrade my DVD player to get one that also caters for DVD-A (or in the case of the Pioneer DVD747-A - both SACD and DVD-A) but as it stands I wouldn't be able to actually use these new formats as my Tag processor (unlike many others) doesn't offer 5.1 inputs.

I did have a look on the Tag website and they seem to have gone from "we have no plan to offer 5.1. inputs on the AV32R" to "it's something we're working on... etc". It seems as though Tag themselves are not convinced that DVD-A and SACD are going to take off but feel as though they probably ought to offer 5.1 inputs for those who want it.

So, in conclusion, I know they are working on it but I don't know:
    1. When they are going to be able to offer this upgrade.
    2. How much it is going to cost.

Matt.:blush:

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would never get any new format that won´t go thru the digital connection (I would lose all the features of my AV), so I will wait for those guys to get their act together...

Apparently there is already a possible solution, and TAG is implementing it in the 192 series, (you can upgrade, of course)...

Anyway the 192 will have 5.1 inputs, see the TAG site for further info...

9. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There will also be an upgrade to the existing AV32R to add 5.1 inputs without the new case of the AV192R. From what I recall of a diagram of the back plate, the inputs will be in a row at the top of the back to fit them into the cramped space. On the AV192R the 5.1 inputs can also be configured as 3 stereo bypasses, it's a good bet that this can be done on the AV32R upgrade as well.

I think news about the 5.1 upgrade will be on the Tag website next month.

10. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops! :blush: Of course DVD-A etc. Isn't TAG's official position that they are "sitting on the fence" to wait and see what connectors will do the trick with the dominant format(s)?

11. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tag is going to use DVI for passing DVD-A and video from the DVD192R to AV192R, rather than a proprietary connection I believe Tag is going to implement a standard protocol (PanelLink). They're not planning support for SACD (yet)...

There's an article on the Tag site at http://www.tagmclaren.com/great/sounds.asp that gives some details on DVI.