1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tag 32r Processor

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by fatrich, Feb 22, 2002.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Can anyone offer help or advise (please) i have a lex dc1 which is excellent but as far as upgrades go it has unfortunatly reached the end of a long and successful road.I am giving some thought to the Mclaren 32r processor i have never auditioned it but it comes highly recomended.I have considered a Lex Mc1 as the upgrade but again Lexicon seem to be concentrating on the new MC12 which is wonderful and had i have the pennies would be my first choice but lets get real i didn't win the lottery on Wednesday.

On the Tag 32r there are a number of software and hardware upgrades avialable on there web site, which tells me that they are looking like they are going to support there product for some time to come.So my problem is do i buy a new one (all singing and dancing ) or try and plunge in to the second hand market.Judging by the popularity of the processor it may be a long wait.

If i went for a new one what extra bells and whistles over and above the standard machine would people recommend? bearing in mind i can support 7.1 from an amp/speaker point of view.

Any help or advice would be greatfully recieved and location of any dealers in the West Yorkshire area.

thanks

richard

2. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I'd go for a new one with the spec that I want, not a second hand one which requires upgrades. If you go the 2nd hand and upgrade route, do you want to be without it while it's upgraded? Mine went back to Tag yesterday for the EX, DAB and 192k upgrades, and I've been told it should be back within 4 weeks (I hope I can live with my Denon 1601 for that long!).

With the progressive scan module, and the RGB connectivity that will be added with the 192R, I'd say that it will be supported for a considerable time and that it's well worth spending half a day auditioning one, even if it's just to rule it out.

I can't help with a dealer, but Tag's site has a dealer locater if you select Retailers at the bottom of the page.

Martin.

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I personally wouldn't go for the DAB.
    I currently have a 32r with DAB,and I don't think it's worth it.
    It has no hiss,but there the similarity with CD ends.
    Just my opinion.

4. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already got DAB in the car, so there are stations I want to listen to indoors, but I don't want to tie up my Sky Digibox.

Martin.

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Richard,

I would definately buy a unit that includes the EX upgrade. Most people who have bought one have managed to get a reasonable discout on the RRP. You may be able to pick up an ex dem model, used but with the peace of mind of the dealers guarantee. Worth checking out dealers in your area.

Regards Rob.

6. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Buy the latest version; AV32R bp-192. Its around £300 pounds more but it includes 5.1 analogue by pass, PLII and 192khz DAC as standard. All worth having IMO.
    I would only buy used if the unit had some warranty left and the price was really good.

7. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I too would only go for the latest spec.

I think that they are a very reasonable long term buy - the latest upgrades will have pushed up the s/h value of older units as it is effectively a price rise.

The DVD3r is also going up in price.

Plus, you will get a full allowance when the 192r comes out.

Regards.