Tag 250 X 2 Power amp connections?

hifidelityman

Novice Member
Hi again, TAG fanatics and friends.
I have recently replaced one of my 100X5R amps with a 250X2, which is primarily for listening to stereo.
MY DCS kit did not like the AV32R even in bypass mode and believe it or not a simple £25 switchbox switching it direct to the power amp and using its own on board volume control was superior.
I have just dusted off my old Kenwood L1000C pre amp (which I had forgotten about) which for its age sounds pretty good and it has balanced as well as RCA inputs and outputs.
Consequently I am able to use the balanced connections on the TAG amp.
But I still have to route the Left and Right channels of the AV32 processor to the preamp because although the power amp has RCA inputs the handbook says not to connect both inputs at the same time. This means somehow, I have to balance the other 5 channels when watching a DVD
DOES anybody know, (dare I ask UDO) if it would be OK to connect the AV32R L&R front channels to the 250X2 amp using the RCA inputs as well as connecting the XLR inputs from the Preamp, so long as only one of them is powered up or only one source is selected at the same time???????
Thanks for any help.

Also did UDO have any rca to XLR's for sale?
regards
Tony

the_third_man

Hi Tony.

Far be it from me to jump in ahead of Udo, but I don't believe it's possible to utilise both inputs together, besides the Instruction Manual warning you against it anyway. For the PHONO input to operate correctly, the shorting link between pins 1 and 3 of the XLR must be in position, thereby preventing Balanced connection. This is explained on page 18 of the 250x3R Instruction Manual, which uses the same amp modules.

Richard.

hifidelityman

Novice Member
Hi Rich thanks for response.
I have the same manual and that was why I was asking if there was anyway safely to utilise both inputs, if only one of the Respective input ends were transmitting signal.

Was a shot in the dark - there are sometimes ways to do things the manual says you shouldn't, providing you take certain safeguards.
thanks anyway
Tony

Miron

rich_carr said:
.......For the PHONO input to operate correctly, the shorting link between pins 1 and 3 of the XLR must be in position, thereby preventing Balanced connection.....
Hi both,
I would never do it, ther eare at least 3 good reasons not to do it.

By the way, shorting link in the positionis not preventing balanced connection, you can even operate without it. But it is there to ensure correct gain and to help reducing noise in theory.