• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tactile transducer compressor/limiter settings

chrisgeary

Prominent Member
I've just installed and EQd a couple of Earthquake MQB1s and notice that they don't track the main system volume very well... too little tactile at quieter volumes, too much at louder volumes. So I think I need to use a compressor/limiter to sort this out. Do you have any recommended settings for compressor/limiters?

chrisgeary

Prominent Member
I've started with a threshold of -40db and a ratio of 4. I'm not sure how attack, hold and release play into the mix so I've set them at 10ms/50ms/10ms respectively. Initial testing shows that this works reasonably well when adjusting the volume control up and down with a sine wave. The tactile sensation appears to follow the main system volume well. I've yet to test on a movie so no idea how the transient response will be yet.

If anyone has any tried and tested tips, I'd welcome them :)

chrisgeary

Prominent Member
Bah. Back to the drawing board. Further testing reveals that a release time of 150ms is required for 8hz. Whilst the 15-40hz area were attenuated nicely, the lower ones were getting mangled. I think the iNuke DSP will be a better approach, raising the gain dynamically when its quieter and leaving the louder sounds alone.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom