1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tact digital amp at Bristol show

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by spamboy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone else listen to this at the bristol show? I had a brief listen and was extremely impressed, but thought the system price was the price of the amp alone (and somewhat out of my budget).

Did anyone have a critical listen? I'd be interested in your opinions as to me this system seemed on a par to anything I heard there, regardless of price. (plus I'm a geek and I like the cool extra features you get with it.)

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +996
    Out of interest, how much does the amp cost?

3. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About 2 grand. Admittedly that's still a lot for a component (or not depending on who you are) but firstly it did sound amazing and it includes an upsampling dac - in fact it is really a high powered dac driving the speakers directly. I'm particually interested as I'm looking ay driving it from a PC but they had it driven by a Stellar (I think, can't find any info on this) transport which was apparently £900.

The extra features I was talking about were room and speaker correction btw.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Nobber22 and I had a listen to this demo and we both thought that it sounded excellent. I must admit that our listening couldn't be described as critical and I would also be interested to know how much the Dali speakers contributed to the end sound

5. TB Sanchez

TB Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The set-up you heard was the 2200 amp, stello transport and dali speakers (not sure which model they had at bristol, didnt go). Total price is about £6K. The amp has a dac built in and you can but analogue cards for mm/mc inputs making it a simple one box solution. When I listened to a tact set-up I enjoyed the above set-up and thought it wasnt unlike a valve sound. Strange thing is, when I heard the full-monty, about 12k worth, I couldnt stand the sound, far too harsh and clinical for my liking, with ear-splitting treble.

6. TB Sanchez

TB Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stello is a korean brand website:

http://www.aprilmusic.com/

Good stuff, but you use to be able to buy their stuff direct from korea from impoverished hi-fi shops for £1.98, typical hi-fi mark-ups.