Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Tact digital amp at Bristol show

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by spamboy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone else listen to this at the bristol show? I had a brief listen and was extremely impressed, but thought the system price was the price of the amp alone (and somewhat out of my budget).

Did anyone have a critical listen? I'd be interested in your opinions as to me this system seemed on a par to anything I heard there, regardless of price. (plus I'm a geek and I like the cool extra features you get with it.)

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Out of interest, how much does the amp cost?

3. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About 2 grand. Admittedly that's still a lot for a component (or not depending on who you are) but firstly it did sound amazing and it includes an upsampling dac - in fact it is really a high powered dac driving the speakers directly. I'm particually interested as I'm looking ay driving it from a PC but they had it driven by a Stellar (I think, can't find any info on this) transport which was apparently £900.

The extra features I was talking about were room and speaker correction btw.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Nobber22 and I had a listen to this demo and we both thought that it sounded excellent. I must admit that our listening couldn't be described as critical and I would also be interested to know how much the Dali speakers contributed to the end sound

5. TB Sanchez

TB Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The set-up you heard was the 2200 amp, stello transport and dali speakers (not sure which model they had at bristol, didnt go). Total price is about £6K. The amp has a dac built in and you can but analogue cards for mm/mc inputs making it a simple one box solution. When I listened to a tact set-up I enjoyed the above set-up and thought it wasnt unlike a valve sound. Strange thing is, when I heard the full-monty, about 12k worth, I couldnt stand the sound, far too harsh and clinical for my liking, with ear-splitting treble.

6. TB Sanchez

TB Sanchez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stello is a korean brand website:

http://www.aprilmusic.com/

Good stuff, but you use to be able to buy their stuff direct from korea from impoverished hi-fi shops for £1.98, typical hi-fi mark-ups.