Tacolneston - Mast replacement???????

Muddy

Novice Member
Mike7 in another topic said:
"The TACOLNESTON transmitter is broadcasting Digital at pre-switchover levels. The mast is due to be replaced with a higher one in time for switch-over when the levels will be increased........"

1. What disruption does replacing a mast involve? I can see major disruption if the old mast has to be taken down beofre the new one is erected.

2. When is the Tacleston mast due to be replaced?

PS there has always been a local theory that when Tacleston was erected those who decided how high it should be believed that East Anglia was flat & did not have the numerous smaller hills that it does in fact have & which is why there are so many blind spots. The other popular theory was that they didn't care because they couldn't be seen to interfere with the Dutch transmitters. Whether either is true I have no idea.

Chris

mike7

Distinguished Member
Mike7 in another topic said:
"The TACOLNESTON transmitter is broadcasting Digital at pre-switchover levels. The mast is due to be replaced with a higher one in time for switch-over when the levels will be increased........"

1. What disruption does replacing a mast involve? I can see major disruption if the old mast has to be taken down beofre the new one is erected.

2. When is the Tacleston mast due to be replaced?

PS there has always been a local theory that when Tacleston was erected those who decided how high it should be believed that East Anglia was flat & did not have the numerous smaller hills that it does in fact have & which is why there are so many blind spots. The other popular theory was that they didn't care because they couldn't be seen to interfere with the Dutch transmitters. Whether either is true I have no idea.

Chris

National Grid Wireless (NGW) announced, on August 6, 2007, that they plan to replace the current 165 metres (541 ft) mast with a new 206.1 metres (676 ft) mast in order to ensure good digital tv reception across East Anglia after digital switchover, which is planned to take place in the area in Jun 2011.NGW also plan to replace the original transmitter hall at this site as it has now reached the end of its useful life.

It is proposed that the new mast will be built and commissioned and then the old mast will be removed. There were some initial objections by local residents about the larger mast, but the project is scheduled to go ahead.

When the mast was built in 1956 there were only VHF tv channels and the range of these signals bears no relation to the UHF ones today.

Last edited:

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
What disruption does replacing a mast involve? I can see major disruption if the old mast has to be taken down before the new one is erected.

New masts are always erected first, and then the old one dismantled. :lesson:

The only possible problem is if you live in the area where the new (normally higher) mast blocks the signal from the old mast for a couple of months.

Boostrail

Prominent Member
When the mast was built in 1956 there were only VHF tv channels and the range of these signals bears no relation to the UHF ones today.

As I remember VHF channels from 1956 were brodcast from Mendelsham in Suffolk not Tacolneston - ITV Anglia certainly was on channel 11 - I could pick this up easily in SE London. Was it perhaps only the BBC that used Tacolneston then? What happened to the Mendelsham mast?

scribbler101

Established Member
"When the mast was built in 1956 there were only VHF tv channels and the range of these signals bears no relation to the UHF ones today."

IIRC a VHF signal will bend round surface features better than a UHF one. And analogue will give an increasingly bad signal until you get to something you would not accept; whereas digital will correct for errors and appear fine until it fails totally.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
As I remember VHF channels from 1956 were broadcast from Mendelsham in Suffolk not Tacolneston - ITV Anglia certainly was on channel 11 - I could pick this up easily in SE London. Was it perhaps only the BBC that used Tacolneston then? What happened to the Mendelsham mast?

Partly correct!

BBC TV (as it was then, before BBC2) was broadcast on CH3 from Tacolneston.

Anglia ITV was from Mendlesham on ch11 from 1959.

Mendlesham mast is still there, at 1000 feet the tallest in Europe when constructed.

See: mb21 - The Transmission Gallery

The latest video from AVForums

Tribit StormBox Blast Bluetooth Speaker: Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom