Tablet recomendations please.

andrew007007

Standard Member
Hi

Starting to look for a new tablet. Never had one before, but my daughter has the iPad 2 and yes is good.

I am not a apple fan and have great admiration for Samsung products.

I want the tablet to replace my laptop not to run along side it. I need good storage capacity as I keep all the family photos and videos.

Can some one recommendend a good branded tablet with good storage space (minimum eighty gig) which is on par with the iPad 2/3 and pref a ten inch screen.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy.

Quaddy

samsung series 7 slate can be had for about £699, if i wasnt getting an ipad i would get this. as its a full power tablet pc in an 'ipad' like form factor and will replace a laptop with ease.

Pistachio

In terms of replacing a laptop with any tablet - I think that in nye on impossible. Tablets tend to devices for consumption of media, rather than creating it. Don't get me wrong, I love my tablet (moto XOOM), but I still have to use a laptop for things like excel, typing for any length of time or photo editing. Perhaps the windows surface may be abke to completely replace a laptop, but I think that these are still a way of being available, especially in the uk.

The as us transformer tablets are worth you taking a look at. This is a sort of cross between a tablet and laptop - its keyboard dock both extends battery life but also makes typing easier. But this is still limited by android, which does not make light work of spreadsheets etc. The as us is soon to be releasing the transformer infinity, which has an improved screen resolution - it will not match the retains display on an ipad, but promises to be pretty special.

In terms of storage, you will need to find one that you can add a micro sd card - i an not sure which tablets support this off hand - but I am sure a couple of searches on google will sort this out. But do consider network drives - I only have 32gb on my tablet, but I keep most of my media on a network drive so storage on my tablet is not a problem,

Let us know what you opt for.

andrew007007

Standard Member
Thanks for the good advice.

I have been looking at the Samsung slate series which comes with keyboard and touch screen. Decent initial memory and has a sd slot. See john Lewis has reduced their prices from 995 to 695. And a two year guarantee.

Not yet decided, but am and have been a huge Samsung fan.

Cheers Andy.

rynert

Standard Member
The Samsung Slate is a quality machine. Full Windows 7 OS and fast.

With the docking station and bluetooth keyboard it can easily be a replacement for a laptop - if you don't mind the smaller screen and lack of CD/DVD drive.

The onscreen keyboard is really good as well. The handwriting recognition is also excellent.

Battery life is suprisingly good.

Pistachio

rynert said:
The Samsung Slate is a quality machine. Full Windows 7 OS and fast.

With the docking station and bluetooth keyboard it can easily be a replacement for a laptop - if you don't mind the smaller screen and lack of CD/DVD drive.

The onscreen keyboard is really good as well. The handwriting recognition is also excellent.

Battery life is suprisingly good.

Will it get an upgrade to windows 8?

Pistachio

Looks like an impressive bit of kit - might be a little on the weight side for me, but you have to compromise somewhere.

andrew007007

Standard Member
not bought anything yet but starting to move away from the slate and learning towards another samsung laptop. need about 350gb max of 500, and separate numerical keyboard. maybe i need one sooner than i think as my current laptop wont charge the battery!!...............any ideas to fix part from the obvious??

cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom