1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tablet PC as a Remote?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Onion, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Onion

Onion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to use a Tablet PC device as a remote however I cannot find a suitable CF or PCMCIA IR device, also software appears to be thin on the ground. Apparently you can emulate a pronto and therefore run CCF files but does anyone know of a more elegant solution?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well you could create an html type interface which links to girder commands which are send using slinke (i think thats what its called - remote output hardware) to your apparatus. Its a nice idea but very expensive just for a remote. To my mind you would be better trying to get hold of an old low spec touch screen laptop to do it with. You are unlikely to need all the processing power of a tablet.

Ad

3. Mora

Mora
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, the tablet route has got to be worth looking into to.

The ipronto, which is coming out over here i believe in September, would seem the perfect remote.
    As was mentioned in another thread i started, this thing over in the states has a lot of bugs n stuff..

A tablet PC theoretically should be able to do everything an ipronto can do, provided the IR is good.

I've seen software mentioned in one thread specifically written for tablet PC's.

ipronto when launched over here, bound to be over £1000, tablet pc ? £1200-1500.

Gonna do some more research on this for sure.

have a look Here

Steve

4. Onion

Onion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input guys, the web idea sounds good but linking it with a pc and slinke would make it more difficult. The cataylst if you like behind the idea was my friend offering to swap his Viewsonic Tablet PC V1100 with my Marantz (Philips Pronto 1mb), I am sure you will agree a worth while trade - but only if I can get it to work. The V1100 does not incorporate IR and so would need either a PDA-IR (with the appropriate drivers) or some PCMCIA variant. As for software there does appear to be a variety of CCF emulating programs but nothing designed with the Tablet in mind.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    How about using netremote with an ir emitter connected to another network pc or direct connections?

Not tried this myself so have absolutely no idea if it is worth considering but definitely worth a look at the NR web site.

6. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    problem is, tablet pc isn't touch sensitive - you _must_ use the pen to touch things on the screen!

7. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been trying to find out how to use my tablet as an infra-red remote with little success.

My search was prompted by having network control of both my TiVo and Audiotron - what I wanted was to be able to do the same for all my other kit.

What is really needed, IMO, is a an infra-red device you can simply plug into a network point (think of it as an 802.11>IR bridge) - that way, pretty much all your kit can be hidden away.

Until this morning, I wasn't aware of any such device - but have just discovered that there is such a thing.

The Philips iPronto has an optional accessory - an 802.11b wireless network extender which can be purchased separately (around $300 in the US I think). It would be interesting to know whether or not this gadget could be controlled without having to have the iPronto itself, as - for my purposes at least - it sounds like the perfect solution.

More info (that I've just found and am about to read).here