Tablet App For Streaming

mattyn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I have sorted my movies/tv programmes/photos/music on my NAS using Twonky Server.
I would like to be able to watch the videos on my tablet (Sony Tablet S) but have tried some apps that do not seem to work too well.

MediaHouse easily finds the TwonkyMedia Server on the NAS, and is pretty straight forward to link up to the tablet - even as far as adding favourite folders etc.

Playing music through this works brilliantly as far as I can see so far, as does viewing photos.

Videos seem to be a problem, especially HD and MP4. I have a variety of players installed (ES Media Player, VLC, Wondershare) and it is hit and miss which one works with a particular video, either stuttering, or no audio to name two faults.

Are there any better solutions to this, other than downloading the film to the tablet? An Video Player App that plays everything maybe?

Many thanks in advance

Hi All

Firstly apologies for the cross post - i may have inadvertently posted originally in the wrong forum.

I have sorted my movies/tv programmes/photos/music on my NAS using Twonky Server.
I would like to be able to watch the videos on my tablet (Sony Tablet S) but have tried some apps that do not seem to work too well.

MediaHouse easily finds the TwonkyMedia Server on the NAS, and is pretty straight forward to link up to the tablet - even as far as adding favourite folders etc.

Playing music through this works brilliantly as far as I can see so far, as does viewing photos.

Videos seem to be a problem, especially HD and MP4. I have a variety of players installed (ES Media Player, VLC, Wondershare) and it is hit and miss which one works with a particular video, either stuttering, or no audio to name two faults.

Are there any better solutions to this, other than downloading the film to the tablet? An Video Player App that plays everything maybe?

Many thanks in advance

You might struggle with HD, I've never got it working well over WiFi, I just don't think it's up to it.

There's a few apps you can try, there's the classic xbmc, there's the archos video player that's actually not all that bad. Finally the main approach I use is upnplay to find the media and MX player to play it, all three work well but as I said for HD content I think the Wi-Fi is the weak link, shy of reencoding or transcoding on the fly at the nas end I don't think there's a great deal you can do

Have you tried mx video player?

I have both MX and BS Free Player installed.

I don't know if ES File Explorer works with NAS, but it works great with my Windows Share folders and clicking on a video can allow me to select a video player to play the file. ES is good with music but needs a external app for video.

Try these android apps - Twonky Beam or iMediashare and use MXPlayer as the player. You will need to download the correct MXPlayer codec pack for your device and probably a custom codec for dts support.

You use Twonky Beam on the tablet to browse your server and then "beam" the movie to your local device and use MXPlayer to play.

Last edited:
Another vote for MX Player Pro as the player. The Sony S1 according to Google is a Tegra 2 device, these wont run XBMC for Android, the Tegra 2 lacked some hardware but there are unofficial builds out there.

Some WiFi tips for best performance
* Set wireless to 802.11n only.
* Make sure security is using WPA2 AES, no WEP/WPA or WPA/WPA2 TKIP as they will affect performance.
* Try changing the channel on the WiFi is on.
* UPnP and IGMP Multicast is enabled on router, a lot of routers these days also include an automatic QoS function like Buffalo call it Movie Engine, it prioritizes video content over the network, if it's there give it a try.

I use Bubble UPnP in conjunction with MX Player, or the Android version of XBMC

I use Dice player,not certain off it meets your needs but seemd to handle all I throw at it.

I have both MX and BS Free Player installed.

I don't know if ES File Explorer works with NAS, but it works great with my Windows Share folders and clicking on a video can allow me to select a video player to play the file. ES is good with music but needs a external app for video.

Astro works with network stores. As mentioned in the video steamers area MX player works well, pair it with upnplay or skifta for good results.

The archos video player is also surprisingly good, you can add a share from your nas and it will library the lot for you

All 3 threads merged.

Please do NOT crosspost threads across multiple forum areas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom