Tablet advice for 7 year old birthday present

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by PR1, Aug 8, 2013.

1. PR1

PR1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, looking for a couple of pointers to tablets that might be good for a 7 year old girl, as it's apparently the #1 thing she's after. Fair chance of the odd knock so slightly reluctant to go buy a nexus 7, although they look to have come down a bit, and probably want something relatively sturdy.

if I can get away with cheaping out then happy days (as I wonder if she'll lose interest fast) but if not then so be it as she is a bit of a nerdlet and hopefully won't!

2. sirteuk

sirteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Try the Archos 80 Titanium from Carphone warehouse for £109. You will find cheap chinese tablets but if they become faulty, then you will have problems getting it repaired. Both my grand sons have the Archos 80 Cobalt and use them daily. If you purchase from a high street seller a replacement tablet will be simple to achieve.
    Keep away from the cheap tablets in Currys (Disgo, Versus) as the displays are dreadful

Archos 80 Titanium Wi-Fi 8GB | £109 | Sim free | The Carphone Warehouse

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. Tracey360

Tracey360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Ass Fonepad has great reviews for the price, although admittedly it wouldbe quite a generous present.

A friend's daughter will not put her tablet down! Happy hunting.

4. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,445
    One word, NABI. My 6 year old has one.
    Awesome bit of kit, tougher than any other tablet, los great, performs great, has child mode where it is locked down, restricted and appears child friendly with child friendly apps. Also has a parent mode where it become a fully fledged tablet.
    I've also rooted his and loaded the Google play stops on it.
    It really is the best option and if my little girl wants one week she's older, I'll definitely get her one.

5. PR1

PR1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers, I'll check the Archos 80 Titanium out. that Nabi looks a little too basic but thanks for the advice chaps.

6. dpoetXbox360

dpoetXbox360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We bought my Grandson an Innotab, a very poor tablet. The touchscreen failed even though it had not been dropped. The games and apps are expensive. I would avoid it.
    I have now purchased a Hisense 7 inch Android tablet for him, £139.99 at ebuyer.com. its a Nexus clone, and has SD card slot, USB, and HDMI out. I am running an app called Kidsplace from the Play store, this limits what he can do on the tablet, and it seems to be working very well. Although expensive, the apps and games are very cheap. the touchscreen is very good. I just found an app called TVCatchup which allows you to watch live TV via WiFi.
    He loves having a grown up tablet, and its very quick, Tegra 3 quad core. 1 GIG memory, 32 gig storage, and SD card slot allowing another 32GIG. It runs Android 4.2.
    When i'm sitting with him I can quit kidsplace and teach him about the Tablet, and the Internet.
    When he's left it and gone out, I can have a play on some of the Tegra 3 games, very good graphics, some very good free games.
    The only thing I will say if using the play store is, be carefull some apps just spam you with ads. Android isn't a walled garden like Apple or Windows store. I manage the tablet for him so not a problem, and Kidsplace blocks Play store access, and in app purchases.
    I did look at the Nabi, but its an older version of Android, and not the best screen resolution.

7. colonelblighty

colonelblighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    We got our daughter (7) last Christmas a Nexus and she loves it. Got a great case for it that was pink with polka dots and its survived all year. Given the prices of the 1st gen version now I'd give in to the temptation

8. Bubblin

Bubblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    If suggest the Kindle fire/HD

Quite cheap especially as a new one is coming out plus Amazon control the content quite well and many if the apps can be hidden based in the age ratings.

Web browser, searching and many inbuilt apps can be locked to avoid accidental use by children.

So in effect you can let them have access only to the apps and program's you want.

My two kids love the talking interactive bed time books.

(And angry birds!!!!)

9. snappyq

snappyq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    we got our kids Samsung 7" galaxy tabs.both use em all the time.great on long journeys.u would probably need to get a bigger memory card.ours are constantly taking pictures and videos which takes up a lot of memory.we got ours at xmas where they were doing some money back deals.

10. gr0uty

gr0uty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    My 7 year old daughter has a nexus 7 and loves it. As long as you put a screen protector on it and put it in a case you can't go too far wrong.

11. undercutter

undercutter
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Acer iconia b1 our 8 year old loves it. Got a lexibook to begin with but was crap. But the acer was the same price £100 and loves it

12. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    I can recommend the Nexus 7, you can get the 32GB just superceded model for around £50.00 less than the new model.

13. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6