1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tab-tensioned or fixed frame screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by devs, Apr 19, 2005.

1. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Tab-tensioned or fixed frame screen? Whats the difference?

And could anyone plz recommend a good source to purchase from...

Thx the new kid! ;)

2. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi,

The difference between tab-tensioned and frame screens is that the first screen is a retractable screen, the second is a fixed screen.

If you have the room for it and don't mind having the screen in sight all the time, a fixed frame screen is the best option, as it is permanently tensioned (evenly) from 4 sides. This makes for a perfectly flat projection area.

Best regards,

Otto

3. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Great many thx for the explanation Otto, I should be getting my first projector this week so just getting ready for the next purchase. Time to convince the better half again! ;)

Cheers,

Steve.

4. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    One last newbe question if I may Otto?

I intend on watching mainly DVDs on my screen so I presume that I should buy one with a ratio, yet if I were to watch normal TV on this kind of screen how would the image be displayed?

Many Thx again!

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You should get a 16:9 ratio screen as more and more TV is being broadcast in this format (if the broadcast is 4:3 you can tell your PJ/scaler/digibox to stretch it). Just for the record a tab tensioned screen isn't necessarily a pull down or electric model. Its just the way the material is pulled tight :thumbsup: My screen is a fixed model but uses a tab tensioning method to secure the screen material :) I do agree however that a fixed screen is best and also cheaper :smashin: I got mine from www.ellie.co.uk. If your using a DLP/LCD PJ you should be looking for a gain of 1 or there abouts. If your plannin to use a CRT model then about 1.3 is right :D

6. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Great many thanks for the info mate - you've put my mind at reset... I didn't realise that you could tell the PJ to stretch it!

I've been reading very good reports on the Carada fixed screens here... http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130700

So I think I'll be taking that route. I should hopefully be getting a HS20 at the end of the week and will mostly be using the PJ at night however if I were to use it during the day my movie room has two skylights in the roof that I can not control so would a gain of 1 still be okay our should I be looking for something a little higher. Like I say I will not be using it much during the day due to work etc...

Thx mate,

Steve.

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Stick with 1 mate, its fine for the vast majority of LCDs. They all have quite high outputs :thumbsup:

8. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cool many thx for the help mate! ;)