1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T32R colour change... Yes, again colour change!

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by laalves, Jun 24, 2005.

1. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

Does anyone know how difficult is it to remove/reinstall one front panel from a T32R?

Me and mlinhares are discussing this possibility, since I have a silver one and would like black, and Miguel is the other way around.

I'm going to open my T32R this weekend and try to take it off, but, for the sake of preparedeness, what difficulties should I expect?

I do have all known-to-man sizes of TorX screwdrivers, good soldering irons and soldering skills.....

Luis

2. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Luis, it is few minutes job (unles you want to keep your own display).

3. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Great! Thanks for the info. Actually, I may want to keep my display, since a few segments are already a bit faded and Miguel may not want that.... I'll also have to check how difficult that is.

Thanks,

Luis

4. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Come on guys! A little more info from the experts would be appreciated. I read somewhere that the tuning button is particularly difficult to replace.

5. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Miguel, unless you want to have unique T32R (silver facia with dark grey buttons from the black unit) I see no reason why you should replace tuning knob or buttons.

6. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sorry Miron but I couldn't understand you. I want to change my T32 black to a silver one and for that we also have to change the buttons.

7. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Miguel, I believe the buttons and corresponding internal workings (circuit boards, diaphragm, etc) are integral part of the front panel assembly, i.e., when we take the front panel out, all of that comes attached.

Anyway, I'll disassemble mine in one of the next couple of days and let you know how it comes out.

Luis

8. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Buttons can of course be changed but black unit has different button colour than silver one.

Therefore if you want to change the colour you simply change complete front panel that includes all buttons and volime knob, you do not have to take anything apart.

The only thing you might want to change is display if you want to keep your own.

9. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, I thought we would have to change each button individually… :oops:

Yes, I would like to keep my display.

Thanks Miron.

10. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK, I have successfully removed the front panel but, the aforementioned procedure is quite incomplete.

It is correct up to the point of lid removal. Then, and before removing the two upper screws, one should pick up a flat nose plier and imobilize the tuning knob shaft stub that protrudes from the back of the tuning unit.

Than, by hand, gently but firmly, rotate the tuning knob left and right and, at the same time, pull it away from the panel. Then remove the two screws visible after knob removal. The tuning unit is now loose. Remove the PCB plug from the tuning unit and stow the unit away.

Then, remove the two screws from the top of the panel. Carefully, alleviate the panel by rotating the upper part by about 20 degrees, while making sure the rubber tube that connects the mains switch and the mains button rod comes off fine. Push the panel slightly dow and it's off. Then, using TLC and a small flat screwdriver, pull the main PCB plug that leads to the display PCB that is bolted to the front panel. That's it!

To remove the display PCB, simply remove the 6 nuts and washers that hold the display PCB in place in the front panel.

Put it all back together afterwards and find out (in my case) that the T32R comes back on and selftests fine, but can not tune any FM or DAB station....

After I take the wife and kid to the Saturday stroll, I'll spend the evening finding out what I forgot to plug in correctly...

So, Miguel it's actually easy to exchange panels, let's see just if everything is fine with my T32R to go ahead.

Luis

11. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Last update: success! I had managed to plug incorrectly both antennas, DAB and FM. Minor things are sometimes the most difficult, and after successfully disassembling/reassembling a T32R and then mis-plugging TWO antenna cables is rather inglorious....

So, Miguel, all is set to exchange panels, and evidently, keep each ones display! All that's left is putting both tuners in the same room. I would prefer that to happen in my place, since I have all the tools here, but a trip to Coimbra is not out of the question, of course

Luis

12. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Surgery completed successfully!

13. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Confirming that! :thumbsup:

T32R S/N 00185 is now black and S/N 00070 is now silver.

I must say I'm fascinated at the beauty of my TAG gear, classily sitting on my rack :D .... looks are only bested by the sound of the kit! :smashin:

Thanks Miguel! Nice meeting you! :hiya:

Luis