1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T32R aerial lead - help required

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Madian, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Madian

Madian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone :hiya:

I have just joined this forum and hope I can read and learn and perhaps pass on some experiences later on.

In the meantime I need some general advice regarding the T32R, I am actually picking this up on Sunday and I note that the DAB connection is in fact a BNC connection.

My previous DAB tuner (So*y 777es) had an F type which was great as getting an aerial lead made up for it was easy. However, this is a bit more difficult apart from making one up myself of course but given I have a dedicated DAB aerial in my roof now I am looking for something a bit more professional that my own handiwork.

Can anyone here advise or recommend a place that does male co-ax to a BNC connection? also what type of aerial cable are you all using? the bog standard reel out of B&Q, homebase etc or something a bit more suitable.

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks. :lease:

Ian

2. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Ian, Have a look at www.maplin.co.uk - They have various different bnc connectors. Make you sure it's a 50 Ohm and NOT 75!

I use bog standard cable and loft aerial but I'm lucky with regards to location. It doesn't matter where I stick the aerial, I get 80-100% strength...

Enjoy your new purchase! :thumbsup:

3. Madian

Madian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Polecat many thanks for your reply.......i managed to get a 50 ohm twist on BNC and it works just fine :)

Many thanks

4. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    :lease: :lease: :lease: Crimp a proper BNC on the cable it will make me feel so much better :lesson:

6. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the T32R + DAB. I have a non directional single dipole outsaude aerial connected to the tune with a 50 ohm co axial cable, and crimped BNC 50 ohm connector. Maplin do a cheapish crimping tool. Quite easy to do, and I get a regular 4/5, 5/5 reception ratio, although I am quite a long way from the transmitter (80 miles). Very interested to read Dr. Zucker's comments on using the analogue connections for both DAB and analogue. I have tried this and it seems to work fine, as well as freeing up a digital (DAB EXT) connection on the AV192R. This also means that the analogue tuner mode settings (DIRECT) in my case, are also used for the DAB, though I suppose one could toggle the tuner input and have a different DAB/analogue setting if one wanted, though there should not really be a requirement, as if one works well then it should also suit the other. One thing I seem to have lost is when listening to DAB, and pressing SELECT on the AV192R remote, I no longer get the reception ratio after the sampling rate.!

7. Mike-D

Mike-D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to pick up the one T32 DAB offered by HiFiBitz :thumbsup:, unfortunately when it arrived it had no DAB module :mad: . IAG are supposed to be sending HiFiB the module who will then take back the tuner and fit it. I don't know how significant that is but from what I've read of the recent performance of IAG's workshop perhaps its just as as well for me.

Anyway while I'm waiting for that to be resolved I need to be sorting out a DAB aerial. I'm a little confused regarding the advice given on 50ohm vs 75ohm. Finding 50ohm plugs and cable is no problem but as far as I can see every available arial is intended to be used with 75ohm. Should I simply ignore this and use 50ohm cable with a standard aerial or would this compromise performance? Does it really matter as long as the right plug is used at the tuner?

Why did Tag adopt 50ohm if the rest of the world has standardised on 75? Is it better, and if so why?

I look forward to hearing your views and comments. If anyone is is brave enough to try and explain it to me please keep it nice and simple ;)

8. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    There are those who know a lot more about aerial theory than I do, but most DAB aerials are tuned to 50 ohm, though I have a multiple array DAB aerial, not installed, which claims to be 75 ohm. This is different to VHF FM Aerials which are 75 ohm. This applies to all DAB receivers, not only TAG.. It may well work with 75 ohm cable, but to get the best the 50 ohm cable should be used. TAG did an excellent paper on DAB aerials, which I may have, but there may be others who have it available on line.

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    All DAB units indeed will want 50 Ohms ideally, the BNC socket on the TAG is certianly 50 Ohms and requires a 50 Ohm BNC mating plug, I use an Antiference DAB aerial which claims to be 75 Ohm impedence but using 50 Ohm cable and BNC it works perfectly, trying 75 Ohm cable resulted in the smallest amount possible of reduced gain (which could be slight position misalignment the second time) so if you live in a good signal area I doubt it matters much, however if things are more marginal just about anything might have an effect so its best to stick to the right cable and you must always use the 50 Ohm BNC as the 75 OHM ones can be different and the centre pin get stuck in the socket.......People will argue this all day but I've seen it happen......