1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T32 - Any thoughts...?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Polecatpete, May 30, 2004.

1. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to pick everyones brains if I may... I'm using an AV32 with DAB module and a T20 for FM stations. I was considering getting a second hand T32 with DAB to use instead but wasn't sure if it was really worth while doing. Has anyone compared the T32 to T20 or AV32dab? The only real advantages I can think of are RDS and the fact that I can still get DAB if the AV32 ever gets sold but would welcome any comments/suggestions.

Thanks a lot everyone

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    T32 is the best I have ever seen but what you have is pretty damn fine at t the moment. 32 was certainly better than the 20 but the 20 and the 8000 really were the top of the pile in their own time. re DAB, no expert here (damn BBC :(), but I couldn't hear any difference between DAB in T32 and AV32R but as Udo once said to me, it is the convenience thing of all radio in one box.

3. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, there are in my opinion two main points which need consideration when comparing the T20-FM/AV32R-DAB with a T32R-FM+DAB combination: ergonomics and sound quality. Let's have a closer look at these...

In terms of FM sound quality the T32R has the edge over the T20, but considering the often poor broadcasting performance of many stations (highly compressed for good sound in cars), the day to day difference isn't that big. However, it needs saying that the T32R is a more consistent performer than the T20 as it has been designed for ease of manufacturing and calibration. The T20 wasn’t easy to set up during manufacturing and might also develop slight drifts during its life, but all marginal in my opinion compared to most FM stations quality.

There is no real difference in DAB sound performance between the AV32R-DAB and the T32R-DAB.

So in terms of sound quality, if your T20 is a good performer, I would recommend to stay with the combination you have.

However, the situation is quite different when it comes to ergonomics. The T32R is remote controlled, offers RDS and integrates into the TAGtronic Bus. The result is a sleek operation which makes it much more convenient to use, particularly for those who often change sources and/or stations and want, maybe to see scrolling radio text on a control monitor. In addition the T32R fits to the cosmetics, including the VFD display of the AV32R.

I have used for many months the T20 before the T32R came out. I personally would never be able to go back again to a tuner which doesn’t offer remote control and RDS - but that’s me. Having said this, I returned the T32R when I got my AV192R with FM/DAB.

I hope above helps...

4. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  5. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Teejoo, that was the one I was interested in. It's been at £600 all week untill about 2 hours ago when it shot up to £820. (Just out of my price range :( ) It's still a good buy though but as I do have DAB I may spend my money more wisely! ;) (Maybe on something I really do need!!! ) :D I emailed the seller, turned out its Steve Harris !!! - Anyway, there is also a silver unit for sale if anyone is interested....

Thanks Beekeeper/Udo for your reply. Its really good to see you Udo still helping everyone and posting on the forum. Thanks again!!! :thumbsup:

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I feel that the T32R-DAB was and still is the best one box radio made especially if you have an AV32R/192R and connect up via TagTronic bus as it also becomes very nicely integrated. We still have a good few about the place. I currently use a AV192R with both DAB and FM modules fitted, I still prefer the T32R-DAB solution with the possible exception of Radio 3 at its highest bit rate. I have a feeling that the later unit in the AV192R might have better DAC's than our "first off the production line" T32R's that might be making a difference here but maybe not with current bit rates on DAB........Most already know by opinion on that......

7. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I knew it was Steve's, but didn't want to push it ;) Good luck with your search :thumbsup:

8. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    When I purchased my AV192R with a DAB module, I sold my T32R. This was a big mistake, as I found that the analogue reception of the T32R superior to the BBC DAB through the AV192R. Both DAB and Analogue are fed by outside aerials. I tend to listen to DAB through either freeview or SKY, which appears to have a fuller sound, due to a higher bit rate. I agree with Dr. Udo, the T32R is a beautiful piece of kit, but it unfortunately now retails for £1650. Has anyone established a TAG secondhand site?
    I know about E-bay, does anyone know what the tuner went for mentioned in a previous thread?

9. muellec3

muellec3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dear Barry
    Steve's unit went for £ 820.-- (you can still see it clicking the ebay-link in Tejoo's message in this thread).
    I bought the silver one Polecatpete mentioned in this thread for £800.-- and I have to admit I am very happy with it :thumbsup:.
    Cheers
    Chris

10. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Excellent, glad your happy with the unit! Unfortunately, I was a little short that month so missed out.... If anyone else is thinking of selling tho I'm all ears! :D