1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T2SE and Pioneer 626D - Crashing! Anyone confirm?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Bada Bing, Aug 31, 2000.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got the DVD-18, and don't have any problems. My player is the Nakamichi DVD 10s.
    Strangely though, when in AUTO mode, my player won't play T2, I have to put it into PAL mode to play it.
    I have it on PAL all the time anyway so it's no big loss.

------------------
    "Sh*t! I don't belive it! You... You burnt da f*ckin money!"
    Not at all against Robbie Williams (Glasgow) Ltd or companies with a similar name

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My T2 crashes in three places but only in the Dolby Digital version. It does it on my Special Edition of the movie.

1) When john says "I need to stop at my house to pick up some stuff" and Arnold says "No the T-1000 will definetly try to reaquire you there!"

2) At the layer change when arnold is standing still and looking out the window until morning.

3) At the end when the T2 is about to get destroyed. John looks at the T1000's feet which are moulded at the floor.

Can anyone confirm these crashes as they are rather annoying! I have the DVD-18 version of the movie. DTS is fine! My Player is a Pioneer 626D.

Thanks

Gazza

PS I noticed a quite a few people have the Pioneer 626D so it would be nice to get some feedback!

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys (or Gals)

Just watched T2 UE (special edition release) on a Wharfedale DVD 750 and it freezes on three scenes also, but not the same three mentioned above. 1st time just as the Dr. and Sarah have just watched the video of her (this occurred whilst listening to DTS soundtrack. Changed to DD Can't remember the next scene where it froze (to much wine). Third time froze during Arnie shooting the police cars scene at Cyberdyne Systems. I also have the DVD 18 version, although I don't see how having the two disc set would make a difference as it is a flipper, i.e. presumably 9GB per side.

4. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Last night I watched the DVD 18 version on my Samsung 807. Surprisingly there were no major problems. The only thing to report is that at the start of a few chapters there is a slight stutter which leads to a 'frame' or two being repeated. These last no longer than an average layer change and didn't disupt viewing.

BTW the THX logo emerging from T2's liquid metal is sensational (as these things go.

Now for the extras .... (another thread entirely.

BH

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup got the note about the crashing. Definitley trying to cover their arses.Did you get the DVD18 or DVD9's?

Also is the problem really that bad? Isn't it just like a layer change or is it worse than that?

6. Peter Woodgate

Peter Woodgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the DVD18 and yes it is worse than a layer change.I have also uncovered the easter egged 3rd extended version of the film.Highlight either Theatrical or Special Edition on the main menu (do not press enter).Then type 82997 on the player remote.words will light up,and the menu will change allowing access to the extended version.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got T2 this morning with two DVd 9 discs and it plays absolutely fine in the scenes you mention. Haven't watched it all yet but I've encountered no problems whatsoever(so far). I've got a Pioneer 606 DVD player.

That THX logo....wow! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Paul J (edited 26-09-2000).]

8. Peter Woodgate

Peter Woodgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ihave a Toshiba 3107 and the film crashes at the end of Chapter 39 on my player.Did anyone else get the warning letter saying that "some players may experience minor navigatonal difficulties".Is this trying to pass the buck back to the hardware manufacturers?

9. Matt @ DVD Debate

Matt @ DVD Debate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    T2 and 626D:
    DD5.1 causes the player to stop playing completely in 3 places.
    DTS causes sound dropoff in same three places, certainly less annoying than a layer change in my opinion.
    This has been confirmed on both DVD9 and DVD18 versions. [​IMG]

10. Conrad

Conrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question is! If this requires a firmware upgrade to fix on the 626d will this be covered by warranty?

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    WARNING: Reading this, may be of some assistance to you all!!!! :)

Hi Folks,

Have just spent the last three hours (nearly) watching my R1 version of "Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition". Having read your comments, I would like to report the following:-

1) I have the two-disc DVD version.
    2) As far as I can tell, only the Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Ex soundtrack is affected. Neither of the remaining two soundtracks, exhibited problems.
    3) Any pause at the layer-change, will vary from DVD player to DVD player. However, I appear to be lucky, as my Pioneer 626D multi-region player only stopped for a split-second, and no freezing took place, at this point on the DD 5.1 Surround Ex soundtrack.
    4) Regardless of which version of the film you play, again, only the DD 5.1 S. Ex version is affected.
    5) If you use the DD 5.1 ES audio track however, you should only get a split-second loss of dialogue, at any of the problem-areas that other readers mentioned previously. No other problems seem to occur. (Thankfully!)
    6) For those of you who insist on using the DD 5.1 Surround Ex soundtrack, you should find that a) if you try and FFWD or RWD, you get nowhere. However, if you use your DVD Remote Control Skip Track buttons, you should find that instead of skipping a chapter of the movie as you would expect, for some inexplainable reason, instead the disc or player skips ahead about 5-10 seconds, and should then play the remainder of the disc, without problems.

Finally, does anyone have any further information as to why some UK consumers are getting R1 T2 discs with 2 single-sided DVD's, whilst others are getting 1 double-sided DVD?

Oh, and in regard to Conrad's Firmware query, I don't think that Pioneer are at fault here. It sounds as if either Warners, Fox, or Artisan or someone else realised there would be problems with some DVD players, and tried to cover themselves by including a small notelet inside the DVD package apologising for any problems you may have. Anyone care to suggest what we can do to resolve this issue, bearing in mind I highly doubt it if those of us who are lucky enough to have actually got a copy in our hands, are reluctant to return them to either the DVD company we bought them from, or the manufacturers who screwed up when authoring the disc itself.

Any help/queries/comments, can be placed here, or directed to me directly at: thepizzapooch@yahoo.com

Regards,

Pooch.

P.S. I have a 4:3 Daewoo 28" Nicam TV, and only my Pioneer 626 player, but playing the DTS soundtrack off of the T2 DVD sounded absolutely awesome! It quite literally blew me away. Just goes to show, that you don't necessarily need a full home cinema set-up to enjoy DVDs.

Apologies for the length of this message! Bye!

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 07-09-2000).]

12. Conrad

Conrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the update Pooch. I will have a go at what you did and see if I can get results consistant with yours. Will probably still prefer the DTS track though.

13. Conrad

Conrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the update Pooch. I will have a go at what you did and see if I can get results consistant with yours. Will probably still prefer the DTS track though.

14. MassMonster

MassMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only had the film lock up once ??(when they are both on the bike before shooting the guard. My player is a Pioneer 919 LD/DVD USA model (R1 only).

Also my amp is not detecting the DD EX. I have to press the 6.1/ES button on the DSP-AX1 handset. It detects the DTS-ES with no problems. Sounds awesome.

R.
    MassMonster
    uk

15. DSP-525

DSP-525

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems most of the problems with T2 have come from the branching technique which enables the veiwers to watch the 3 different versions of the movie. More info can be found at: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/showtime/firstlook/Terminator2UltimateEditionR1DVD.shtml

Why isn't their some sort of testing program done buy the distributers so we know what problems we can expect to face on particular DVD Players? I fear the way the DVD format is going with companies pushing themselves to produce the next 'must have DVD', It's the consumers ( especially those like myself with budget players ) who will suffer.

------------------
    When we play games, we open up the gin.

16. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Pioneer DVD -F727 (which I think uses 626 player) - Its a 300 dvd changer (US)

T2SE R1 DVD18

DTS - sound drops out about 20 times during film in "set" places (i.e. I can repeat problem exactly)

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh SD100

2xDiscs

4 very minor dts sound drop-outs (again, repeatable)