1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T2:Extreme Edition High Definition version

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DrPepper, Apr 15, 2003.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
  2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    out of interest, why on earth would you want to watch this on a PC? it makes no sense to me. not only is the average monitor display smaller but the sound of cooling fans would ruin it (see story below)

I was one of the first people in the UK who bought into DVD, when i did a friend of mine told me i was fool as his DVD drive in his pc could do the same job fo a lot less money. the upshot was that he kept carting his PC up and down stairs everytime he wanted to watch a film. i watched some of Gladiator at his through his PC and the DTS sound was destroyed by the sound of the PC.

so can someone please enlighten me as to what the point is? (except for bring forward Big Bill's plans for world domination)

Gary

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Go take a look in the HTPC section and see how many people use a PC based source into HD capable displays.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still sad though (using a PC DVD system) with farting around with OS/drivers/software.

I want to pop in the disc and press play in my stand alone DVD-Video player.

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i'll stick with my nice quite DVD player thanks, i'm happy with it and my big telly. i work with PC;'s all day and the last thing i want it to have one crash during the film.

But hey each to his or her own.

Gary

6. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    “I want to pop in the disc and press play in my stand alone DVD-Video player.”

Let offer an alternative view of the future.

You pop DVD into a stand alone and, with various modifications like SDI, progressive etc, you’ll get DVD quality picture.

This disc is the first mainstream offer of higher-definition picture quality offering (than DVD), distributed on generally accepted medium. The point about being a Windows Media Player format does not mean you need to watch it on a PC monitor, it simply means that in present times, you can only get higher quality video images if you use PC as a source. We have spent many threads comparing the musical advantages of SACD or DVD-A over the standard CD. This does the same for video, but over the compatible media.

The current state of Windows based PC technology is more advanced than anything consumer stand-alone.

Anyone who is really after advanced video or audio quality would soon have to consider a PC based solution. Microsoft has posted several clips demonstrating the quality of their technology. It requires WMP9 and new generation PC hardware with 2.5GHz+ processor for smooth operation.

I feed my projector via PC since 1998. PC is constantly on and I cannot remember it crashing in normal operation. I agree to the PC being fiddly.

But if you want quality this is the price worth paying.

7. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pc monitors play in prog scan too.

i always watch dvd's via my home cinema kit (costing close to £4k)

but i must say when i watch a small clip all two via
    the pc the image qulaity is so good.
    much better than normal tv.

next year a plasma is on my list - hopefully that
    will compare as good to the pc.

8. pja

pja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My god according to the blurb the dvd plays in 1920 x 1080 resoultion!!!!

Gah why does my Pc suck. I neeeeed this :D

9. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Sounds like you also need a box of tissues matey :rotfl:

Spoony.

10. pja

pja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Man I'll need a whole tissue factory at this rate mate :p

11. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    What sort of signal does a PC DVD player output? I thought they all did 480i and 576i

Surely it is the graphics card that then scales the picture to the resolution you want on your monitor / projector.

My DVD player sends it signal to a Rock processor which scales to 960P on my Barco 808's.

If I got this disc would my PC DVD be capable of output at 1080i.

If they are all capable of that cant we just have HD DVD now using DVD players with built in WMV9 software?

thanks
    Darren

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct, for DVD that is ;)

Can't see why not, but a Radeon HCPC is recommended.

Good question :)

I have a HS10 (Sony high res LCD PJ 1366x768) & I can tell you that the picture quality from a few HDTV "clips" I downloaded is nothing short of jaw dropping :eek:

A HCPC has the flexibility to output practically anything, & provided you've a display to benefit from this a HCPC is throughly recommended.

Lots more info in the HCPC forum (mentioned above).

:smashin:

13. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes the graphics card does the scaling. If your graphics card supports custom resolutions - using powerstrip - then you may be able to output a 1080i signal.

The T2 HD movie will not - as far as I´m aware be 1080p. It will be something in excess of 720p

Taken from this thread at AVS.

Ian

14. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In fact reading the above AVS thread a little further gave this:

15. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    NTSC DVD's are 720x480i (30fps), PAL DVD's are 720x576i (25fps), what resolution is 720p? 1280x720? even if it was encoded with wmv at the same resolution as dvd the picture will be that much better because of better compression routines used by wmv. methinks microsoft are going to use T2 as a demo for their wm9 technology more than anything, which is good really.

Is there a sample clip of T2 HD to download somwhere?

16. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No but there are sample downloads at microsoft of other HD material.

Ian

17. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,420
    Surely this is a troll post.
    I mean it's so inflamatory and ignorant that it HAS to be a troll.
    I feel a banning coming on...

18. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "I feel a banning coming on..."

I hope not. nathan_silly is just been silly, but honest. On many occasions I found myself sharing similar feelings about my PC.

There are many other members of this forum who would gladly suffer temperaments of their expensive equipment if only they can squeeze an extra degree of quality. Many of them do not use PC not because they are don't want any ''farting around with OS/drivers/software', but because they believe that PC is not (yet) going to give them the quality they are after.

This release of T2 Extreme may just be right test of the future of HTPC.

19. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely not a ban for nathan_silly for such an innocuous comment!

"Still sad though (using a PC DVD system) with farting around with OS/drivers/software.

I want to pop in the disc and press play in my stand alone DVD-Video player."

It's his opinion...indicates his choice of hardware...and shares the attitude of most of the public, only a small percentage of which use their PC for home cinema, that convenience and reliability is what is wanted.

I'd possibly use my PC for HCPC reasons if it wasn't for the fact that PCs can be unreliable and crash, need drivers updated etc. Perhaps his use of the word "sad" is where your objection comes from, it is an emotive word I agree, but it is just his opinion, and one he is entitled to. All you have to do is look through the forums and you see many people expressing opinions, especially about films.

Perhaps we could open your course of action up for debate, have a "Troll Poll" :devil:

20. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I read Nathans post as "it is sad that you had to go to all that trouble to get the results you want" rather than "the people who do it are sad"

It is just typical that it should be taken out of context.

Well if a few more discs start coming out with this encoding it looks like I will be shopping for a top spec PC to go with my tag/rock/ Barco 808 combo.

Darren

21. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is going on around here? I've expressed my feelings, and Sceptre is now thinking about banning me?

PC's are a pain in the backside, regardless of what they're used for. I certainly don't want to be halfway through a film and it crashes/something annoying happens (my PC's are rock stable, but even so..)

I don't leave my PC on 24/7, so why should I wait a few minutes for the PC to bootup to plonk a disc in?

Even (if) the PQ is better with a HTPC I'll rather stick to using a DVD-Video player.

[edit]

Moderate Trolling is just advice though isn't it? May I ask if Sceptre uses a HTPC and either- took my comments the wrong way/took it personally?

Anyway, if you want to see a Troll, read Max Christoffen's posts on the newsgroups!

22. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A banning sounds a bit severe and I presume was a little bit of tongue in cheek. Your comments do show, that you hadn't done any research before you posted them.

HTPC's are becoming more and more popular - witness the number of posts at AVS forum. It is the largest forum on the largest HT site in the world.

My HTPC is silent, doesn't crash and has far more flexibility than a stand alone DVD player. I can pop in a DVD/CD and it will play automatically. With the LCD display I get more information than a standalone box e.g when a CD is inserted the LCD will display the Album name, current track or whatever info I configure it to show. When friends are round I can download high quality trailers to show before the main movie starts. All of the software can be controlled via a programmable remote.

That's just the tip of the iceberg - DScaler, FFDShow filter, reclock a host of front ends, CD jukebox, DVD jukebox, add in cards like the Holo3D, HDTV tuners for those with access to HDTV, the list goes on and on and on.

Setup is generally a case of clicking install with your mouse. It's only when you want to extract the last % of performance that you need to tinker around.

Ian

23. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Widescreen is dumb I much prefer pan and scan so that all my screen is filled!!

Now that's trolling!

Seriously though I'd prefer people to start filming films using something like this instead of trying to give normal 35mm prints the HD treatment.

24. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Well yeah but you might as well argue that everything should be shot on vistavision or Imax why stop at silly maxivision. Its not particularly relevant to the issue of generating HD material from 35mm.

We're unlikely to see anything better than HD (1080i , 720p whatever) for quite some time ( possibly a lifetime) as a home format. Shooting films on a different format isn't going to change that. Normal 35mm in all its flavours is still way beyond HD in terms of intensity range , resolution and colorspace. I'd say it probably has been since the 1960s.

25. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excuse me!:eek:

Because unlike 70mm and I'd imagine Imax or vistavision it uses 35mm cameras and projectors, allowing you to record sound on set rather than having to dub everything afterwards.

Surely a bigger neg is going to give you a much better source to give the HD treatment to. You can't polish a turd and while I'm not saying T2 is a turd it's picture ain't everything it's made out to be (the sound is, fair enough).

26. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    There's nothing stopping you recording sound on set regardless of what shooting format you may use( you only record dialogue anyway everything else is dubbed on afterwards: sometimes even the dialogue). Vistavision uses 35mm by the way : a greater area tha maxivision. ( 6114x4096). Film cameras don't normally record sound (unless its super8) its normally done offboard on a dat or a nagra. They do send a sync pulse to the recorder or they can both be crystal locked by a seperate sync generator. You can even manage with just an old fashioned clap as long as your equipment is ok and the shot itself isn't too long.

HD is 1920x1080 at best. 35mm fullap frame is regarded as 4096x3112 . Intensity range and colourspace are also way ahead of HD standards. I'd bet my eyeballs that the 35mm neg of T2 is decently beyond the representational capabilities of HD. The only caveat to this would be some of the effects shots are not quite as transparent with regard to I/O pipeline as they would be these days(however I'd suspect this to be with regard to colourspace rather than resolution).

Having a bigger neg is nice only if you can view it that way. Down-ressing images isn't as problem free as you may think. ( Aliasing/moire on certain features can be a problem: quite a lot of the Imax dvds suffer from this). You can have too much of a good thing.

27. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it true that the mechanics of 70mm cameras are so loud that they prevent anything, including dialogue, being recorded on set? That's what I was getting at.

28. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Nope. Dialogue recording is usually done with a very directional boom mike. A "normal" 35mm camera produces a fair bit of noise too as does a 16mm camera even.

29. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i stand corrected cheers

30. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pretty new computer an Advent 1024 megs of Ram 80 gigabyte hard drive etc etc but when i play a dvd it gets a lil bit too warm using a computers dvd drive for my liking, and yes the fan inside is working, everything works but i don't like the fact the disc is heating up so i wouldnt use my computer to view a film and my last PC was the same the disc gets a little bit too heated for my liking