1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T2: Can you swtich between DD and DTS?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jon Weaver, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    Maybe this is a DVD player specific question, but when watching T2 can you easily switch between the DD and DTS soundtrack easily to allow you to compare the difference.

Until now, I have only borrowed Galaxy Quest in DTS and whilst it was OK, I had nothing to compare it too.

Will T2 actually allow a direct comparison?

If so, what are peoples thoughts.. Does this really show the potential of DTS over DD?

2. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    On my Pioneer 626 you CANT switch from DD to DTS "on the fly" you have to go back to the menu ... but when its a menu like the T2 one who cares!!! Paul [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Roy Orbison 'Black and White Night' allows to switch between PCM, DD5.1 and DTS5.1 via the remote (Yamaha DVD-S700).

Now the dissappointment: I can't hear a difference between the DD and DTS track.
    But hold your breath - both sound awesome!
    It seems the DTS track isn't bad at all but the DD track is that good, in fact the bass is slightly louder (might be the mix perhaps); or else I am deaf, who knows!? [​IMG]

Highly recommended, but as the name says the picture is b&w only ...

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner

4. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Most dual DD/DTS discs do not allow on the fly swapping of soundtracks. You can only do it from the audio menu on the disc.

------------------
    "Sh*t! I don't belive it! You... You burnt da f*ckin money!"
    Not at all against Robbie Williams (Glasgow) Ltd or companies with a similar name

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DTS re-release of Twister allows you to switch between the different audion tracks whilst viewing the movie (DTS & DD 5.1), and the DTS track def sounds better...deeper and more enveloping with much more natural sound (you can hear stuff on the DTS version that you can't on the DD version)

------------------
    " Sunset's are beautiful, new born babies are beautiful, this....this is fuc*ing spectacular!"

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

6. Mattie

Mattie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate not being able to switch between audio tracks - commentaries etc., as well as the DVD/DTS issue. When I'm watching a film and a question comes to me that the commentary might answer, I want to be able to listen to it at the touch of a button. Like on the Criterion release of Armageddon, where a touch of the audio button switches between DD, cast comments and technical commentary.

Worst of all is when a film defaults to prologic even tho' there's a DD track. I think my R1 Face Off does that (not sure.. but I know you can't switch tracks without the menu).

Since some films do this and others don't, what I'm wondering is, is there a technical reason for the differences, either purely in respect of the DD/DTS issue or other alternate tracks? Does anyone know?

[edited to replace an error in apostrophe use... how sad]

[This message has been edited by Mattie (edited 26-09-2000).]

7. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes! Dont do it on the DVD player- use your amp, on our DSP-A1 this is simply done by reselecting the input for that particular input.

We have both Toslink and CoAxial connectors from our 626 to the DVD/VCR3 inputs on the amp- this may be possibly why we receive both DD and DTS bitstreams simultaneously.

8. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a theory on how this works- that all tracks (even Dolby 2.0) are always sent out by the player- if you do it from the DVD menu the appropriate flag is sent to the amp, and the amp begins to read the (for example) DTS stream, but you can force the amp to read a certain format mid stream by getting it to decode only the DTS info.

?

9. Mattie

Mattie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan, thanks for the suggestion I think you may be right about switching DTS/DD bitstreams. Can't wait to get home tonight and try it. I have a Sony 930 tho, so what works for you might not work for me.